Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2002, 08:02 AM   #1
fung
Dungeon Master

When building ranged fighters such as rangers and the gadgeteer...do u guys like to have to wield some short range weapons (i.e. sword and dagger) as support?

I wanna build a gadgie for my new party...u guys reckon its a good idea to have him use a sword/shield or sword/dagger combo for close range.

The reason I'm asking is giving him close range attacks seem to take away the omnigun as they use it much less often. This is a melee heavy party by the way.
fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

I've never done this, but don't see why it wouldn't work
out well. At least to the point where you see that the
omnigun is really outdoing what you can do in melee, but even
then if you felt like roleplaying it through. Only problem
is you wouldn't want a cursed weapon for a gadgie, so that
limits what they would ideally want as a melee weapon.

Usually I'd go with the Gadgeteer in the back with the omingun
and a sword/shield. The sword was mostly for display and any
stat bonuses, and shield I would put points into later in
the game for some extra protection. So I would go with some
kind of one handed weapon and a shield, and build up shield
as well as the weapon when you can.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:12 AM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

In my experience, I think it's better to concentrate with as few skills as possible. If your gadgeteer has to work on sword skill at the same time as omnigun and gadgets, he/she will take much longer to become good. Omnigun and gadgets is well enough. Same goes for ranger or fighter. The fighter can only fight, so one bow and a polearm etc is good. The ranger has to choose between magic and melee, otherwise it will be bad for a long time.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:59 PM   #4
otter
Elminster

If you aren't against a little practise now and then, it's not hard to keep Hybrids up on Magic, their only real lack is the bonus that Pures get. For Gads, it is a much faster development to concentrate on the Omnigun and Gadgets than to add a third attack form. You can put ammo in the other primary slot and a shield in the secondary slot for defense. But, here again, how much you can stand to practise has a great effect; you can practise in combat too, prolonging encounters with mobs that don't hurt you much by healing them or giving them Guardian Angels (if you're in range, you can cast on enemies any spell that gives you a ? to pick its target).
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 03:41 AM   #5
Oruboris

I wouldn't give the gadge or ranger a shortrange weapon, will just slow its modern weapons or bow developement, IF you are playing a full 6 person party.

But, in a party of 4 or less, its nice to have these classes somewhat well trained in a second weapon so you can take advantage of items like light sword... in a larger party, you will likely already have someone to use them.

Oru

[ 09-06-2002, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Oruboris ]
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:40 AM   #6
fung
Dungeon Master

This is indeed for a 4-man party along with another samurai, Faerie ninja and Elf Bishop.

I think I will ulitmately give the gadgie fang and lightshield...so that he gets that extra AC close up.
fung is offline   Reply With Quote