Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-03-2001, 08:40 PM   #1
Gazza
Banned User

Im finally going to play through as a druid but I wanted to know which is best. And as a side note i'd just like to say that Korgan is the best character ever!!!!!!!!
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:34 PM   #2
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

...i'd say the Werewolf is pretty useful...

...and Korgan ist very much getting on my f***ing nerves, always talking rubbish and quite useless, after all (ok, if you're not playing an fighter character he might come handy, though...)
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:48 PM   #3
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i like the totemic druid. spirit animals are cool. i dont like to shapechange, so i stay away from that crap. avengers are cool too, they get a few mage spells. of course, they get a -2 to strength and i think constitution at character creation, but that is ok, they ARE druids afterall.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:19 PM   #4
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

My vote is for Totemic Druid. Those spirit animals are useful as distractions and can not be harmed by normal weapons. I also am not a big fan of shapechanging.
Fuzzy Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:22 AM   #5
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

Great queation for me, I just started playing one. I dualed over to druid after hitting 9th level fighter. I've got +++ in staff (many great staves), and ++ in sling ( of seeking with my fighter strength), and ++ in two handed weapon giving me a 19-20 critical. You reach 10th level druid in just 129g's! The greatest power of the druid is the summoning. Scince I dualed from fighter, shapechanging is pretty useless. Go with totemic if your not dualing. The spirit animals are imune to Mind Flayers! VERY usefull.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:57 AM   #6
Kingenigma
The Magister

I personally think Avengers are not that useful. They have heaps of shapeshift but chances are, you'll more likely to be whacked in later parts of the game. In kits, I may go for otemic druid, the spirit animals could whack those guards AND the beastmaster AND his cronies by itself. Honestly.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:33 AM   #7
Anarion

quote:
Originally posted by Gazza:
Im finally going to play through as a druid but I wanted to know which is best. And as a side note i'd just like to say that Korgan is the best character ever!!!!!!!!

An avenger then use them as a backup fighter- poison the enemy in the wyvern or spider form. theyve also got a few extra mage spells to choose from too- lightning bolt etc. Fire salamander is a good form to its got the breathe fire option.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:02 AM   #8
Nifft the Nimble

quote:
Originally posted by Gazza:
Im finally going to play through as a druid but I wanted to know which is best.

Hi Gazza,

This really depends on your play style. If you like to actively participate in fights, take the Avenger. The bonus spells make you a passable back-up mage and the alternate forms and Ironskin allow you to be useful in battle -- for a while. Eventually you'll meet monsters which will ignore your form's natural weapon, but by then you'll be tossing off Chain Lightnings. One final thing to remember: you advance in level very quickly (up to level 11 or so). Your Chromatic Orbs will be deadlier than anyone else's, and your Lightning Bolts will do more damage.
On the other hand, if you like sitting back and letting others do your dirty work for you, play a Totemic Druid. Then you'll get to summon Spirit Animals, which are tough and strike just as hard as an Avenger's nastiest animal form. In addition, they're immune to non-magical weapons. Eventually they'll become mere blockers, unable to actively contribute to battles, but still: free blockers!
No matter which route you take, playing a kit Druid has one amazing advantage: fire elementals, early & often.

Enjoy your brush with Nature!

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 01:05 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

About making a Dual-class Fighter/Druid:

If I take a Druid and Dual over to fighter at Level 11 to avoid that looooooong period of no Leveling Up (Druids can only go from Level 10 to Level 14 in THE ENTIRE GAME of BG2? Come on), I can choose a kit but I lose all the high-end Druid spells. Are they that valuable?

What I'd like to do is make a Fighter, then Dual to Totemic or Avenger. They should have made it so you can Dual to a kit IF you didn't choose a kit for your first class.

Oh yeah, one more question. They say Shapeshifters can't wear armor, and Avengers can only wear leather--what if I'm Dualed? Doesn't my Fighter half let me wear plate? If a Fighter/Mage can wear plate, I say a Fighter/Druid can too.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:26 PM   #10
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

I think that metal spoils their magic, being nature oriented; but, there are some good suits of leather out there.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote