Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 06-03-2005, 10:52 AM   #101
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
I saw this recently... and I hated it (and i'm a og Star Wars fan who went into this movie desperately wanting to like it). There were plot holes throughout it, bad acting, atrocious dialogue, and probably the best special effects of any movie to date which is never enough to make up for a bad story.
Well your above synopsis could be used for EVERY Star Wars (I love em but they all have cheezy acting and scripts, plot holes, and great effects)... so what was different about this one? Was it TOO MUCH bad acting, TOO HORRIBLE a script, etc...?
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #102
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Yes.. to much bad of everything, the plot holes were ridiculous at times and the storyline, such as it was, served only as a frame for the effects.

The first Star Wars movie still stands up to critical perspective with only Mark Hamill on the cusp of the bad acting bug.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #103
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, thhbbbt on you Djinn. No soup for you!

Anyway, pray tell about all these plot holes. I've seen precious few, but could name a couple of select ones. Several plot holes identified on imdb are actually incorrect, btw.

I will admit the second time I saw it, I groaned a bit -- especially at lines like "No, it's because I'm SO IN LOVE with YOU." [img]graemlins/repuke.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2005, 03:13 PM   #104
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Mace Windu going to fight Palpatine with 3 jedi Padawans (If they were padawans, i'm guessing they were they all died like bizotches). It's like Windu should have been all 'Damn yo, our enemy is Palpatine, Sith lord and the most dangerous foe we've ever had. So i'm gonna take 3 of our most useless jedi and go get medieval on his ass.' That confrontation should have happened with 20 jedi, not one capable one and 3 others who would have worn the throwaway red security uniform had they been in original Star Trek.

The Republic with Palpatine as Emperor and the Senate as a democracy. There was no difference between them as far as I could see. What was the difference, the trains didn't run on time anymore? Why was anyone even fighting? Palpatine declares himself Emperor and everyone claps except for Organa and Padme.. the political aspects of this are not touched upon at all and could probably fill several chapters in their own right, but in this one it just never felt like there was any urgency to the political side, didn't Padme or Organa or the Jedi talk to any of those thousands of other senators? They could have set up a lobby group or PR company to get the word out.

Yoda going to the Wookie planet. Why did he have to go there and what purpose did it serve? It served no purpose at all and made no sense. Oh no that's right.. it was because Yoda had good relations with the Wookies. Good relations, that makes perfect sense, Yoda, apparently the most powerful jedi is going to leave the capital and the counsel in their most dire hour because he has good relations with the Wookies.

Travel time. Yoda leaves Coruscant, goes to Kasheek, returns to Coruscant. Obi Wan leaves Coruscant, goes to whatever world he fought Grievous on, returns to Coruscant, goes to Lavaworld. In the original trilogy it seemed to take days for them to travel anywhere in hyperspace, time enough for a game of holo chess. In this movie it seems like no time at all has passed during Yoda's travels off Coruscant and back.

During the fight with Dooku, Obi Wan has his legs seemingly crushed by a massive slab of metal that looked to me like it weighed in the tonnes. It should have pulverized his legs. When he wakes up, carried off by Anakin (I can't even remember how Anakin got him out from under it) Obi Wan is running around like Carl Lewis.. wtf!? The force is strong in this one..'s legs.

These new Star Wars movies represent the death of the idealism of my childhood.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:08 AM   #105
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Yeah, the ledge part was pretty weak and the acting was brutal in spots, but overall I don't think it was that bad. I mean, really, it could have been much worse. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #106
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Yoda started out as a 6 foot tall black guy before taking a sustained lightning blast. Thats my theory... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Or as I said to a friend during the film, "Yoda is just a wookie who failed to hit puberty." It would explain how he has such good relations with the wookies
Old 06-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #107
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, Djinn, I wasn't bothered by hardly any of those that bothered you. I think most of them are not plot holes. The jedi with Mace were not padawans I don't think. The Republic's corruption is of course why Palpatine's takeover was possible to engineer. As for a political group "getting the word out" about possible governmental takeover and bad wars -- ask Moveon.org how easy it is to do that. On the wookie planet -- why would Yoda not go? He is no less likely to go lead forces than any other member of the council. Does a plot even have to be necessitated, doesn't life just happen randomly sometimes? Nothing says they didn't spend days in hyperspace, seems an assumption you've made. Oh, and the piece the fell on Obi -- well, I took it to have enough room for him under it. I've seen that shot several times -- it's a cutscene in the video game -- and the structure that falls is a floor sitting on support beams.

Now, waking up in the elevator shaft was a bit hokey, I admit.

For me, I shuddered at "No, it's because I'M SO in LOVE with YOU."
Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #108
Thoran
Galvatron

Now I liked almost every star wars, and since I'm a geek I was definitely into the special effects... but I gotta say one thing:

Peter Jackson's Gollum was a thousand light years better than Yoda. Just watched RotK again last night... and I'm still BLOWN AWAY by how realistic they made that character, Yoda looks like... well... a bad x-box character in comparison.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:49 PM   #109
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Well, you had to expect that, Thoran... LotR won how many oscars? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 AM   #110
Thoran
Galvatron

yea... but with CG you expect newer movies to raise the bar. The newest Star Wars is what... a year and a half newer than RotK, I guess I expected something new.

I think Lucas went for quantity over quality, and PJ focused on quality. Not that there weren't a TON of CG shots in the LotR trilogy, but EP3 was wall to wall CG... and maybe that meant he didn't have the time or budget to do REALLY high quality CG (like a Gollum level character)