Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #11
Melusine
Dracolisk

Uh, OK. Go out and get some CDs of, say, Primus (Les Claypool), Jaco Pastorius, Red Hot Chili Peppers (Flea), Anthony Jackson, Victor Wooten, The Who (John Entwistle), Tool (Justin Chancellor), King Crimson etc. and see how you measure up!

Oh and Hiero - what stuff are you ON today man??!! [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img]

[ 09-10-2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 09-10-2003, 12:02 PM   #12
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I know Flea, and I can play a lot of the pepper's songs. Furthermore, I don't think I am close to either les, jaco or victor, since they are all 8-hours-per-day players

But I love hearing and watching their music.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #13
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

JrKASperov how could we even have a clue how good or bad you are. If you posted a link to some of your bass playing we might have an idea but the best thing is to get someone who knows their stuff (e.g. a music teacher) to listen to you and give an opinion.

On the subject of this thread of "Arts" child prodigies sorry I have never met one. Computers and TV removed them all from the gene pool. [img]smile.gif[/img] I would add this though. I can not believe that any one can just pick up an instrument and "know" how to play it and read music. Or a 10 year old sit down and write war and peace 2. Music and writing take practice so do computers. Some people are more gifted in figuring it out and the ones that just "click" with it to me are the prodigies. The kid that rather than be outside playing is wanting just ten more minutes to play the piano and is doing well at it. At least that is my two cents. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere

[ 09-10-2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 09-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #14
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, actually, Granamere, there ARE kids that almost instinctively know how to play music. They often play first and learn how to read notes ect. later. Mel sited the almost universally agreed on epitome of this---Mozart, though there have been others.

I guess I should make clearer yet, the point of my post. In the creative arts, is there something about music that it IS something that a person can be a prodigy in as opposed to writing, or the visual arts? Does that in any way imply that music is a natural phenomenom of human beings? That is really the discussion I was hoping to spark here.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 09-10-2003, 03:27 PM   #15
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
Personally, I don't see how one could be a computer prodigy in the strictest sense of the word. Knowledge of computers is something I feel is learned and acquired.

A computer prodigy is someone that has innate understanding of how a computer and/or program runs. It is what I have, but in a very small dose. It's not some picturing or some old bullshit, it's just understanding. It only took me 2 months to learn Q-BASIC, and I was 12 years old, and it took me 3 weeks to adapt to Pascal. I also know Visual BASIC, C++, seasharp and some other. I have som elimited knowledge of hex code and code editing. I'm not trying to impress you, I just want to say that I catch up on those stuff, and it's not my learning or concentration, because I'm not so good at school(B-). Do you now see how one can be a computer prodigy?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:28 PM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

As I said I don't think so, and I named a writer/poet and an artist (as in painter/drawer) who are both remembered as the very best of their area of expertise and who both died at 25. Look, no child of 6 can write Great Literature simply because that requires at least some life experience and a profound insight into the world that children simply lack. But it's not impossible for a slightly older child - if it were a true prodigy. That's what the word means - the child would not be like other children, so it could be wise beyond its years, enough to have reached a level of maturity and insight.
Why there hasn't been such a child yet? Precisely because it is so extremely rare - there has only been one Mozart after all. I know other children have shown genius in music, but I do feel Mozart does stand alone on his level. There have been no composers comparable to him, in that no one was so prolific, started at such a young age, reached such a high level of perfection and has had such a profound impact on music through the ages (we're talking child prodigies right? You may consider Bach's or Beethoven's influence to be equal or greater to that of Mozart, but I'm talking about the whole picture, age and productivity included).

To some extent it might be the case that literature requires a grasp of the language so sophisticated, requires so much erudition and knowledge (knowledge also of previous works of literature, otherwise the child might write something brilliant but that has been done before already) that it is harder to find a child prodigy in literature than in music. But a counterargument to that would be that I think that to write truly great music, one would be required to have the same depth of emotional understanding, the same special "spark" of genius that enables one to create something that can work on people's emotions in such an immense way. So maybe it's simply true that a prodigy of such immense proportions like Mozart occurs only very very rarely, and we simply haven't seen one in literature or visual arts yet that could be compared to the one(s) we find in music. Or maybe one was born and fell to its death from some stairs at the age of 1 and a half years old, who knows?