Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-19-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
ryaldin
Elminster

I was wondering, (not being the most incredibly computer literate person in the world) how can you specify what your default media player is? I have Win98, and I have WinMedia and Quicktime, and I was trying to watch the incredible fainting goat movie in the other thread, and it took a while to get my computer to play it. I used to have some program on my computer called SuperDVD or some other such nonsense, and I deleted it, but it still looks for it as my default video player. Is there any way to tell your pc to use quicktime or somthing else? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:37 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Most media players have something in the options that controls which associations they grab. Look for somthing like 'file types' or 'media types', and make sure that the program is set to use the file types you want to play with that program.

In a pinch, you can usualy drag a media file into an open player program to load it. Not as convinient as just double clicking on the file, but it works.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:43 AM   #3
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

I'm going to assume you're using Windows 2000. This should be the same (or close to it) for other versions of Windows, too:

Open up any folder on your windows. Go to Tools/Folder Options from the pull down menu.

In the window that pops up, go to "File Types" tab, and find the file type for what you're trying to run in the list you see in that tab(the extension, like wav, for example).

Click on the file type, and you will see that the bottom part of the tab, you'll now be given a "change" button. Click this button, which will open a new pop-up window asking you which program to use to open those file types. Select the media player you want to use.

This will now be the media player that will open when you click on those files.