Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 07-28-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ever downloaded a module that used multiple hakpaks? I'm working on a project that right now spans an excess of at least 4 required hakpaks and to really accomplish what I'm wanting to do I imagine that number will increase. Do you think that's too much? I'm a great believer in the old coin "If you can't do something right don't do it at all".
Old 07-28-2003, 06:20 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes, I have downloaded mods with multiple hakpaks/files but the total file size has almost always been less than 16 megs zipped.

The number of hakpaks is less important than their size. Some people STILL use dialup so large files can be a total pain or even impossible to download unless your ISP is VERY stable. Even with a stable ISP, the download time can be excruciatingly long. The free IWD expansion - Trials of the Luremaster - was around 75 megs and if I remember correctly, that was a 12 to 24 hour download even in its zipped format!!! 16 to 20 megs is about the limit of what I will download via dial-up at home. Anything larger and I'll download at work, burn a cd and transport home. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you are going to put your hakpaks and mod on your own website, I would zip each hakpak individually and provide seperate downloads for the dial-up users. FOr the faster connections you can always provide ONE large zip file containing all of the hakpaks.

BTW, hakpaks using custom portraits will get VERY large very quickly if you use a LOT of them. Remember that each set of .tga files takes up about 500kb, so the size of a portrait hakpak can mushroom if you throw in TOO many. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:05 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Yeah, but I have dsl so downloading aint nothing but a thang for me. Even folks with dial-up can use a download manager to spread a big downlaod out overnight and in parts so I wouldn't sweat it. Plus a while back nwvault had a poll and the majority who responded there had broadband.

"If you can't do something right don't do it at all".- I agree with this, reason why I haven't released a module yet beyond the proof of concept phase. gotta do it right or not at all myself.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:00 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

I have dialup, and if its bigger than a couple of MBs I will generaly skip it unless I'm familiar with the author or the mod is particularly recommended by folks I trust.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

This project would be very fan-specific and aimed at a particular audience so I am hoping regardless of hakpaks and size the same amount of people will download it. Again it's all about doing something properly and well.

A good suggestion Micah, about having a seperate dial-up download and, providing I ever get it finished I will upload it on the vault but also link to my own site at the same time. Thank you all for the good advice .