Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-06-2002, 06:59 AM   #1
ralph
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok... you're wondering what my deal is. It's pretty wierd, but i'll try to explain it.

I'm a perfectionist... It's really a sick sick problem to have. My problem with video games is that I can no longer continue to play them, unless I feel like i'm doing everything right.

For example... when I first bought BG2... I made a female elf mage. I was happy playing the game... until I started to read up on forums and spoilers (totally ruin experience for me).

Cause when I started reading about things... I came to realize that I was doing quests wrong... like I killed the bastard who was cheating on Keldorn... and I was TOTALLY mixing evil and good characters. Plus... I realized that having this female mage as my main character may not have been so wise since there are so many NPC mages in the game. I also ended up in ch3 and left so many other quests behind.

It frustrates me more than you think... So I said "f*ck it" i'm starting over and i'm doing it right.

But then when you start over, and you go through the dungeon, you realize how boring it's gonna be doing it all over again. But I sucked it up and did it, until i realized that my new choice for main character sucked, cause now since Viconia is evil, I can't use her cause my party is good... and I want to have a powerful cleric and not geeky anomen.

so i start over with the cleric this time... and i'm playing and playing... (bored as hell doing it over), until i realize how much time i am wasting with BG2 playing sh*t over and over again. SO i delete the game.

Then I month later, i'm bored... i install it again. I make a good barbarian and say to myself "i will do it, no backing out, i will beat the game". I get so far.... I complete almost EVERY quest in chapter 2, I even beat up the gangs that chill in the hotels and talk sh*t. But then when i stopped playing for a week and a half and came back,i was getting mad at my barbarian, he just wasn't cool enough for me. He didn't fit in =).

start over again...
I decided, i'm gonna go ALL evil this time. I make an evil fighter, grab all the evil characters, but it breaks my heart telling on the slave and then going to have to kill him. i just CAN'T be evil. =) But i LOVVVE the evil characters... viconia, edwin, and keldorn.

Now i guess you're wondering what i'm getting at.

I need to get interest back in this game... and devise some strategy for a well-rounded party that I will be happy with. I want to be able to go in and play it... and not feeel like i made the wrong choice in a couple days. hehe cope with me.

What NPCs should i choose to be happy? what main character should i use =P

help... lol
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 08:40 AM   #2
Phantom of might and magic
Dungeon Master

Hehehe i almost had same as you
Restarted Irenicuses dungeon hundred times (at least!) and im bored to death of it but still started new game again (SoA). Now im berserker and i already played with Assassin, Ranger, Paladin etc. About the quests i know, same here sometimes. Restarting game a lot. Just wanted to say this happens to me also. Not now though. I tried to play evil guy cos, yeah evil guys are so damn goood but when i started i couldnt continue. I felt bad saying and doing this i didnt like.
My usuall party was:
ME
Minsc (always)
Anomen or Keldorn (or both)
Yoshimo
Jaheira (always)
Nalia (almost always)
Old 01-06-2002, 10:14 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

WELCOME TO IW, BOTH OF YOU! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Yeah, I have the same problem as you. I always want to have the most perfect party, so I start over and over again.
Now, there are MANY very good characters to choose between, this is just one of them.
I suggest you start as some paladin, are go through the game as good. Now this may be a good party:

You (paladin)
Keldorn
Minsc
Aerie
Nalia
Yoshi/Imoen

But I suggest that you switch NPC's often, to get all quests, and to explore all their abilities.

see ya!

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Sir Exxon ]

Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 11:33 AM   #4
andy the assasin
Manshoon

I always play a neutral character and do quests however i feel like (good or evil) and have a mixed party. I used to have me (theif), vicconia, jaheira, edwin, imoen, minsc and boo!
andy the assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 12:20 PM   #5
Arduin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, err... You scare me [img]smile.gif[/img]

Though, I have had a similiar experience myself...

First I bought the game and kinda got tired at De'Arnise Keep(before the fun kicks in).

Then I got the game again, for the second time and played all summer. To be noted; Ive been told Im slow at these games, but I have fun so to hell with it
After summer was over I couldnt play as much as before and it ended with me stopping. I did, however, save my savegames, since the dread of going through (especially) Irenicus' Dungeon and the start of the game, just for the second time almost gave me nightmares [img]smile.gif[/img]

However, my PC went down and I had kinda forgotten about BG2, so I didnt think about it any further.

...Then! I got the game again and thats around where I am now, close anyways. I had fun playing it, although not as much as that summer and all was great(yea right, life sucks [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
.....Then! Throne of Bhaal and... the Wild Mage!

So thats four times... I am ready for Hell now [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2002, 12:54 PM   #6
hrizonstickup
Dungeon Master

i had kind of the same problem where i just didnt think the npc's clicked as a party so i made up a bunch of new characers and made my own party...just pick up one or two of the regular npc's at a time for their quests and you can still have your perfect party
hrizonstickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:18 PM   #7
Phantom of might and magic
Dungeon Master

Andy the assassin wrote:
I always play a neutral character and do quests however i feel like (good or evil) and have a mixed party. I used to have me (theif), vicconia, jaheira, edwin, imoen, minsc and boo!

How can you have Minsc and Edwin in your party? Minsc will beat the crap out of Edwins kneecaps (or the other way around). They are rival enemies mate.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:58 PM   #8
Arduin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes, sad you cant have both Minsc and Edwin, but then again, it balances things out [img]smile.gif[/img]

And sure... Minsc sucks, but... Boo, the mighty space hamster! Beware!

And nah... Minsc doesnt sucks, just Boo that adds the cool appeal...
... I go now
Old 01-06-2002, 02:03 PM   #9
Sir Exxon
Zartan

There is a way you can have both Minsc and Edwin in your party.
Go to Baldurdash, and you will find a patch which will do that you can have all NPC's in your party.
I have forgotten the name of it, though.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 02:17 PM   #10
ralph
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, we'll this is what I figure...

You guys tell me what to do...

i DEFINITELY wants viconia and edwin. So I have 3 choices left...
I also want Korgan cause he's a badass. 2 left

Now i heard that minsc and edwin can't be together, so forget about minsc.

So now I have 2 NPC choices...
I guess maybe towards the end, i'll definitely get Imoen cause she's a main char and all.... but who should I use in her replacement for the meantime? I HATE nalia, please don't say that. She pisses me off... just like anomen.

I think I would go for Mazzy.... ok.. so I have mazzy.

One more choice left (this is when it get's critical).

I guess maybe yoshimo... cause yoshimo will be a temp thief until i get imoen back.

THERE! I did it!. (i've done this many many times just to see it fail again).

Ok... so i got
Korgan, Mazzy, Edwin, Viconia, Yoshimo/Imoen... and i'm set?

No not yet... what should my main char be??
i'm not lacking any mage power... so scratch that. I got 2 good fighters.... a good cleric.... yoshimo/imoen have thief covered....

what do you think??? (explain why you pick so that i can feel good about it =) ).

Thanks for the assistance guys.

and btw... if I use this group of people... i am going to have gameplay problems? I know if i got over 18 rep the evils will leave. So i won't do that... but will these characters split up for others reasons (good and evil)? Is there a non-cheating way to stop that? Or do i only have to worry about minsc and edwin?

Thanks again.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote