Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 AM   #161
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion
Bas stood and walked along the treeline, staff held lightly in his right hand. The worry he had felt in the local spirits made him wonder if there was something else he could do to help the current situation. He continued to walk as his mind wandered, and his feet took him in a wide circle around the camp.

When darkness falls he will make his way back to the group and find a place to sleep.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #162
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Everyone

As so often happened, the night passed without incident and no one was missing, dead or mad come morning. While Tamora, Anne and Bas had their own ponderings that seemed to take up the evening for them, Balth spent some time conversing with Evon and Lorath, mostly asking them about their homelands.

By the time the sun, and along with it the party, started to rise, nothing had changed. Ulik and Jarval were still out cold, and everyone else was still the same shape they'd gone to sleep as.

In the village outside the tent, things seemed to continue as usual. Hunters hunted, guards guarded, leaders argued and the miscellaneous villagers went about their fascinating miscellaneous tasks.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #163
Man Who Fights Like Woman
Manshoon

When the sun rose, Lorath snapped out of the daze he had been in for the past while, and was just finishing up his spell memorization for the day. It sounded like it would mostly be travel up ahead rather than much combat, but it was best to be prepared for any eventuality, and a few of them might come in handy on the road. As he was packing up he double-checked his gear to make sure it was still in working condition, though he kept the sword wrapped and hidden, and looked around for the portale he, Ulik, and Evon had found. He would also pack that, if there was room.

When everything was packed up and good to go, he found the others, admittedly not very difficult to do in this village full of lizardmen, and asked, "So, where are we off to today?"
Old 05-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #164
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Tamora

Earlier, Tamora had opened her eyes and looked up at the ceiling of the shaman’s tent. The bright early morning light filtered through the canvas already warming the interior. A shaft of light picked out the head of her spear where it leaned against the central pole. Her mind appeared to drift as she followed the line of the edge from the point to where the steel was lashed to the wood. She had stood, fastened her belt and slung her pouches, quiver and bow over her shoulder.

She greeted Lorath then looked over to the others. Evon lay on his back staring blankly at the roof and Ulik and the stranger were still unconscious. She shrugged. Anne, Bas and Balth were stirring and she looked at them in turn finishing with Bas. “East,” she said at last in response to Lorath’s question, nodding to the druid. “We will locate or at least follow the route on the map and find where it ends. We will have to see what we find but I wish to climb the mountains and view the lands beyond.” She took up her spear and continued. “In my mind I am not planning on coming back to this village soon. If we see nothing else I intend to cross the mountains and travel south to investigate the symbols in the corner of the map.”
Old 05-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #165
dplax
Jack Burton

Anne

Waking up had been hard for Anne that particular morning. Her dreams had been sweet and tried keeping her as long as possible, but the sun shining in her eyes and the stir of the camp in the morning pulled her, albeit gently, from her dreams.

She woke up just in time to hear Tamora suggesting a new itinerary. Anne rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and glanced around before replying to the suggestion.

"Following the trail does seem to be a wise choice...my guess is that whoever had sent that bird, wouldn't have wanted to send it close to danger. I shall go with you Tamora."
Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #166
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion
Bas shook his head clear of sleep and rose to his feet.

"I look forward to setting out, considering that the answers to my questions lie to the east. Lorath, what should we do about Ulik and the newcomer? Can we wake them?"
Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #167
Manshoon

"Sounds good," replied Lorath. "I was wanting to check out a few things to the east, myself, see what kind of things they have available for sale." He glanced back at the two unconscious people (if Ulik could be called a person) after Bas's question, and said, "Well, they're probably able to walk now. I'm concerned about Ulik's apparent narcolepsy, but that's just something we'll have to deal with." He went into their tent and shook them both. "Hey, we're setting out, time to get up," he said, prodding them further if they refused to rouse.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #168
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

(OOC: Assuming that people are tired of sitting around and want to get going without further delay, have cleared this with most, but frankly, it's either that or things are never going to move.)

Anne, Balth, Bas, Lorath, Tamora

Both Jarval and Ulik appeared completely unresponsive to Lorath's attempts to wake them, and the elf stopped trying before resorting to physical harm.

Outside the tent, the rest of the adventurers were waiting for him, all of them but Evon had their equipment packed up and were ready to head out.

"Sorry," said the skinny man, "But these last few days have shown me that I'm not cut out for the adventuring life, I'm going to stay here until Jarval and Ulik recover, then let them know where you've headed and make my way back to Achen. I hope you all find what you're looking for."

Balth stepped forward next, "Despite the fact that you're not heading west, I'll come with you for a while yet, you may find something interesting."

Then, once the various wishes of good luck and farewells had been exchanged, the group set out, their destination the mountains to the east and the lands beyond.

Four days later

Tired and bug-bitten, with their equipment soaked, the group was still marching on through the unforgiving jungle, the trees towering far over their heads and almost blocking out the sun(though that did little to lessen the choking heat). In the mere span of four days, they'd suffered through a rainstorm, waded through a small swamp and repeatedly chased away a pack of nocturnal monkeys which insisted on attempting to rob their packs at night(thankfully the creatures had made off with no more than a few shiny metal things and some wet rations.).

They knew they were still heading east, and they had the trail they'd stomped and hacked through the jungle to follow back west, but they had no idea how much farther away the trail marked on their map was. According to what Lorath and Tamora could puzzle out, they should have hit the trail, if it was visible at all, a day earlier, so it was clearly not entirely accurate.

Grumbling had set in that morning, as Balth began to suggest the map was either false or old, or that perhaps the trail had grown over and was completely unfindable. Around noon, he began suggesting that they turn around, but it was only minutes later that their luck would turn around.

Still under the canopy of the towering trees, they were making slow progress through the dense undergrowth, bushes and smaller trees when they spotted what looked like a clearing up ahead. Or at least an area where the large trees were spaced far enough apart that the sun's light could get through.

A Brief Session of Hacking and Slashing at Defenseless Plants Later

Revitalized by the prospect of a break away from stinging plants and crawling things, the group redoubled their efforts to carve a way over to the clearing, but were quite surprised when they reached it.

When they got there, it turned out to be much larger than it had looked, in fact, it was large enough that they couldn't see where it ended.

The part they had seen, due to the sunlight breaching the canopy, was where one of the great trees had been cut down, clearly by intelligent hands with sharp objects, and moved out of the way. Towards the northwest and the southeast, the clearing continued, though as far as they could see in either direction it had only been hacked through the undergrowth. It was wide enough five, maybe six, men to walk abreast along it, and it looked like someone else already had. The plants which hadn't been cut down looked severely trampled. A large number of people, or animals, it was impossible to make out whether they were paw-prints or bootprints due to so many on top of each other, had passed along the cleared path towards the southeast recently.

"I'll be damned," said Balth, sounding impressed, as they walked out into the clearing, "There really was a route, this practically calls for a celebration, don't you all think?" He fished around in his pack for a while and eventually brought out a wineskin, "A specialty of my people," he said, as he handed it to Lorath, "It may be a bit harsh on your throats. Pass it around."
Old 05-19-2007, 04:37 AM   #169
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Tamora

Tamora walked out into the clearing and shaded her eyes from the harsh sunlight. She smiled at the relief she heard in Balth’s comments. “Maybe a small celebration,” she said and took the proffered wineskin and took a cautious swig. Her eyes widened in what looked like pleasant surprise at first but when she swallowed her face screwed up a little and she gave a small involuntary shiver. “Hmm . . . interesting . . .” she said passing it along and nodding her thanks to Balth.

She walked a little way away from the others and looked around uncertainly. They had found their objective but she was not entirely sure that she liked it. Part of her concern was doubtless due to the damage done to the forest – she had expected a subtle trail such as her people might have made not this trampled road. But most of all she felt exposed. Large numbers could use such a trail with impunity but they were few in number and she was unsure how to make the party safe. She looked at the trees lining the route reflecting on how the change in perspective altered them from a place of comfort to a source of danger.

Still, she doubted she’d be able to persuade the others back into the embrace of the forest and in any case the trail would speed up their progress considerably. Reducing the time they were exposed to danger, even if, in her judgement, it increased the level of it, might not be such a bad thing. First things first though. “I need some time to try to learn something from these tracks,” she called over to the others, “keep an eye open.” That said she moved around studying the ground across the whole width of the track paying particular attention to the edges where the traffic might have been lighter.

[ 05-19-2007, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Old 05-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #170
Manshoon

Lorath took a deep draught from the wineskin before he passed it along, then cringed as he choked it down. The probably wasn't the best decision he had ever made, but then he seemed to be making quite a few poor decisions since he came to this place. It could be worse though, he decided. He could still be back home.

"I'd like to put off a celebration for now," Lorath said, "at least until we've had a chance to wash our clothes after that swamp." He shifted uncomfortably in his still dirty clothes, and tried to rub some of the grime off of himself. It didn't work so well. "But, at least it looks like we've got a clear road ahead of us, and won't have to trudge through any more bogs for a long time."

Unlike Tamora, Lorath rather liked the wide clearing they had found. It made things less likely to leap out and nab someone before they could react, at least as long as they stayed toward the center as they progressed. "Sure, take your time," he replied to Tamora going through to look at the tracks. "I'll take a look around for anything we can use." With that, he started walking toward the edge of the clearing, and started looking for flowers or herbs which could be used for medicinal or recreational purposes.
Closed Thread