Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #11
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Not my library [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And I don't think our record stores have discount bins either... We're a very backward place obviously

And again, thank you. I assumed that you meant doing the whole triplet on the bass... what you just explained seems just a normal triplet fill... using the bass.

I'm using a bass triplet I guess already.

code:
5. 1   2   3   4    1   2   3   4    1   2   3   4    1   2   3   4
R |x--x--x---------|x--x--x---------|x--x--x---------|x--x--x---------|
S |--------X-------|--------X--X--X-|----------------|--------X-------|
T1|-----------X----|----------------|--------X-------|----------X-----|
T2|--------------X-|----------------|-----------X----|------------X---|
T3|----------------|----------------|--------------X-|--------------X-|
B |---------xx-xx--|---------xx-xx--|---------xx-xx--|---------x-x-x-x|
[/QUOTE]And also thank you for finally providing a song that has more than 7 hits on emule...
Old 05-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #12
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I play the drums and I forgot how to read notes... I haven't played for so long...

Jazz rocks. I am focusing my energies on that from now on.

Good luck to you!
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Lady Sedai
Banned User

I *dare* you to try the drum solo from Inna Godda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Sorry...I have no help to offer. I'm not a drummer. I play keyboard/piano/synth and guitars. But I couldn't resist bringing up probably the most awesome drum solo ever.
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #14
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks bahamut...

Upon further reflection, I have realised that I don't see the point of paradiddles...

Why not play normally (i.e. RLRLRLRL instead of RLRRLRLL)

Except as a training exercise I suppose...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Why paradiddles? Well, sometimes you might be playing something that gets you off-beat, where your left hand is suddenly playing the main beats. It's an easy way to get back on to a regular rhythm without having to stop and let everyone else know.

On a single drum, they don't do much for me unless I'm going for something showy (since it gives me a little more time for a stick flourish or something).

On multiple drums, however, it lets you move easily from drum to drum. Say you wanted to do 16ths down the toms and then back up. If you tried:

code:
T1:RLRL------------RLRL
T2:----RLRL----RLRL
T3:--------RLRL
[/QUOTE]the stickwork to go back to tom 2 and tom 3 is pretty tricky. You'd have to go over the stick that's currently hitting and then bring *that* stick back under the other one. It's much easier to go:

code:
T1:RLRL------------LRLL
T2:----RLRL----LRLR
T3:--------RLRR
[/QUOTE]Now you're leading with your left hand going back up the toms, and ready to lead again with your right hand when you get to the top.

It can also be a lot of fun when you're playing on multiple drums. For example:

code:
T1:---- L--- ---- L---
T3:R--- ---- R--- ----
SD:-LRR -RLL -LRR -RLL
[/QUOTE]That's a simple rhythm hitting the snare with 16ths but throwing the counts on the floor tom and high tom, alternately. It's a lot easier than trying to go:

code:
T1:---- R--- ---- R---
T3:R--- ---- R--- ----
SD:-LRL -LRL -LRL -LRL
[/QUOTE]if the drums are far apart (which you may want to do to hit different notes).

And Lady Sedai, one of my favorite memories from my mis-spent youth was getting home from a bar one evening and wondering if I could play Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida when I was drunk, since I could play it when I was sober.

The next thing I saw was my dad in my doorway, asking me what in the heck I was doing. Only he may not have been so polite, cause it was 3 AM...

Apparently, my room was not quite *THAT* soundproof...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #16
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
{politely snipped for space considerations }
And Lady Sedai, one of my favorite memories from my mis-spent youth was getting home from a bar one evening and wondering if I could play Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida when I was drunk, since I could play it when I was sober.

The next thing I saw was my dad in my doorway, asking me what in the heck I was doing. Only he may not have been so polite, cause it was 3 AM...

Apparently, my room was not quite *THAT* soundproof...
heheh...I can imagine him not being too pleased with being awoken to that. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But it *is* a kick-butt piece of music innit?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #17
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
A paradiddle (pronounced PAIR-a-did-uhl)
Don't listen to the American! It's pronounced just like it's written - Pa - Ra - Diddle. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm not a drummer, but i'm in two bands, so I hear about them often enough!

Old 05-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #18
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Don't make me smack you, Binky. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #19
Thatamos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, my song's I'm about to suggest are both Marching Cadiences that I love to play :

Sypder
Air Force One

Either one of those have about 2 dope solo's for the snare/quads/base so you should be set if you look those up.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

LOL! I'll go with Beaumanoir. I was trying to spell it phonetically because it's not a common word (outside of musicians, that is). And how it might be pronounced in Malaysia? Thoughts of "Pa-RAH-DIE-dull" came to mind... Let's just say the accent's typically on the "par" in the beginning, and the "diddle" sounds just like "middle" or "fiddle"

'Course, I don't know that I've ever heard it pronounced by someone outside of American influences, so I could be totally wrong for the rest of the world

And Lady Sedai, it *IS* an awesome song. Rumor has it (from a guy in my church band) that the song was composed in some sort of after-party... after a concert or something, everyone went back somewhere, they started jamming, and that song ended up coming out. It was so long because they were a little *comfortable* [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img] and couldn't figure out how to stop.

Oh, and supposedly the original lyrics were "In the garden of Eden". Apparently with enough chemical enhancement, that's just too tough to sing
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote