Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2001, 08:48 PM   #1
Deadeye
Welcomed New User

I need some advice about the appearance of Flaming Fist gaurds when attempting a little
thieving...
I know that if my thief picks the lock on a chest whilst a commoner is looking then the
message "Someone has noticed you and called the gaurds" follows and the Fisters arrive
on the scene. To get round this I've been using my party to block off doorways to rooms
so that my thief can steal un-noticed...works pretty well too! However,in certain cases
it seems that I've been "seen" and reported even when the owner of the house is nowhere
in the line of sight! How can this be??
This is very frustrating when tryin to get the sword+1/+3 against shapeshifters in the
house in Ulgoth's Beard. No-one sees me open the chest but as soon as I take the items
the gaurds arrive and no matter what dialogue choice I make they turn hostile. Since the killing of 2 gaurds leaves you with a REP of 4(despised),it seems an impossible option.
Also - what is the effect gamewise of the gaurds arriving but me then escaping the house before they speak to me? They remain with blue circles around their feet but will they
forget about me or am I going to be set upon by any future gaurds I meet?
Does the "Improved Invisibility" spell help with the stealing of stuff at all or is it
more for combat use?
Has anybody had any direct experience with this problem?? Any suggestions would be really
helpful as I know I'm missing out on some really cool stuff!!!!
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 03:14 AM   #2
DaPoo

Its true there are some chests etc that you always get caught trying to steal. this means you are not meant to steal it, usually. I guess you could try using the mage speell that unclocks, or try breaking the chest, I'm not sure if it makes any difference. otherwise you can cheat a little by saving your game, stealing it, exporting the character that has it, then reload to the point before you stole it and use the exported character rather than the old character. somewhat belittles the point of playing tho so I dun do it.... all the best...
Old 01-24-2001, 10:06 AM   #3
Sherpa Doug
Dungeon Master

Sometimes you can charm the potential witnesses and move them away before committing a crime. Sometimes that doesn't seem to work. I think their "line of sight" is based only on distance, it is not blocked by walls.
If the Flaming Fist do arrive and the AI is off, you may be able to run away before they do you much damage. Don't hit them and your reputation won't suffer. They won't follow you out of the room/building. They may attack you if you return. If you are on the street you may be able to outrun them, or jump down a sewer. If you can dire charm one FF, he will fight the others allowing you to escape without costing you reputation.
Sherpa Doug
Sherpa Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 05:51 PM   #4
Deadeye
Welcomed New User

Thanks for such a quick response guys. The suggestions you made are worth tryin' out - also
do you know what the effect is if the gaurds turn hostile,(after the forced conversation),
but I still manage to escape the building without fighting them? I know that if I go back into the same building they will attack me, but if I never re-enter that house is that the
end of it or will there be more hostile gaurds waiting in the next house I enter??
Thanks in advance...
Old 01-25-2001, 12:43 AM   #5
mir_ror
Welcomed New User

Usually when I steal, I do exactly what you do, ie. make sure no NPC has a clear line-of-sight when I execute my action. So far, I haven't encountered the situation you described (but then, since you're playing TotSC, it may not matter). Maybe you can try casting Invisibility (it lasts 24 hrs and doesn't wear off 'easily', unlike 'hiding in shadows') before you act?

For my case, when filching the Bastard Sword +3 against Shapeshifters, I just sent 2 guys (one with the Boots of Speed) inside, picked the lock and swiped the sword (you can pause when the chest inventory sub-screen is open!), before making my way out. Of course, I placed the slower-moving guy at the exit before I did the deed so I would have a clear exit. The guards would stay in the house; they would not not come out (nor appear in the next house) and chase you (unlike in BG2). End of story.
mir_ror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 01:59 PM   #6
Deadeye
Welcomed New User

Thanks for clarifying the situation mir_ror. Maybe I need to be even more stealthy in
this area and just stay one jump ahead of the law - recommended for both virtual and
real life......