Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2002, 04:36 AM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Hearing today about Bushwackers latest speech (excuse my french [img]tongue.gif[/img] )and how he described Iran, Iraq and North Korea as the "Axis" of evil in the world. Frankly I found that pompous to say the least and a fine example of how the word evil is being liberally spread around these days IMO. Seems quite a few british newspapers have spoken up quite strongly about the speech.
Whats everyones thoughts on this?

P.s The pic I saw of bush at the speech when he was obviously trying to look proud was in my eyes extremely bloody hilarious looked like a school kid trying to be like hitler [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]
Sorry if I am bush bashing a bit but I guess this speech just brought back right in my face the reasons why I think he is a total dickhead.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:48 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I don't know about you, but pissing North Korea off is not smart. They have an extremely powerful military.. read what the North Korea Government said in reply to Bush:

---
North Korea calls Bush a moral leper

The North Korean government condemned what it called the "moral leprosy" of US President George W. Bush and said the communist state was powerfully equipped for any conflict.

In the first official reaction to Bush's outspoken State of the Union speech, a Pyongyang foreign ministry spokesman said: "We are sharply watching the disturbing moves of the United States that has pushed the situation to the brink of war."

The spokesman, quoted by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), said the United States had become a terrorist target because of Bush.

He said the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington and scandals such as the collapse of the US energy giant Enron were "entirely attributable to the unilateral and self-opinionated foreign policy, political immaturity and moral leprosy of the Bush administration".

In a speech to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday, Bush labelled North Korea, Iran and Iraq an "axis of evil" and said North Korea was building weapons of mass destruction while letting its people starve.

He warned the three nations could become targets of the anti-terrorism war unless they end support for extremist groups and curtail the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

The Pyongyang spokesman said Bush's acts justified the communist North's anti-US stand.

"The prevailing situation where the US openly disclosed its intention to stifle the DPRK (North Korea) by force of arms makes us keenly realize once again what a just stand the DPRK took when it has followed the US with vigilance and what a far-sighted policy it has pursued to equip itself with powerful offensive and defensive means, tightening its belt."

Despite US declarations that it is still open to talks with North Korea, the speech has heightened anxiety in South Korea where Bush is due to visit next month.

President Kim Dae-Jung is desperately seeking a strong signal of US support for his policy of trying to engage the North by tempting it into opening up.

But US ambassador to Seoul, Thomas Hubbard, said this week that Bush would concentrate on North Korea's weapons programme when he holds talks with Kim on February 20.

Since a historic summit between Kim Dae-Jung and the North's reclusive leader Kim Jong-Il in June 2000, reconciliation attempts have collapsed. North Korea broke off official contacts with the South and the United States last year blaming Bush's "hardline" attitude.

The South Korean leader says it is now impossible to predict how inter-Korean ties will swing.

Diplomats in Seoul and Pyongyang say that attempts to engage North Korea are now being put back several years by the new tensions between Pyongyang and Washington.

The North Korean spokesman emphasised that the "strike" option "impudently advocated by the US is not its monopoly. The heroic Korean People's Army and people will never tolerate the US reckless attempt to stifle the DPRK by force of arms but mercilessly wipe out the aggressors."
-----------

N. Korea has always come back with threats like this--always have, but I think we have our 'plate' full right now with Afgan and now, the Philippines. It almost looks to me that someone is TRYING to stretch our forces out. very scary.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 02-01-2002, 06:07 AM   #3
Donut
Jack Burton

Echoes of Reagan's 'Evil Empire' representation of the USSR.

I won't comment on the delivery or content of the speech but I was amazed to hear that there were 49 standing ovations. Bloody hell - that's almost one per state! Did one state not turn up? Come on, who was it? Alaska? Hawaii? The ovations must have taken more time than the speech. Were they trying to maka a point or is this normal in State of the Union speeches?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-01-2002, 06:19 AM   #4
norompanlasolas

i think the speech was meant more for the domestic audience. despite that, i think it was very unwise to put those 3 countries together.

iran and irak are long standing enemies in the middle east region, so by putting them together you are in fact allying all the region against the us (as if they needed another excuse). north korea, as ziroc well said, has one of the most powerful militaries in the world... and china's support. need i say more?

the rest of the world (europe, south america, etc) saw it as an arrogant speech (the us has the most nuclear weapons, and its the only country ever to use them) and a reminder of the dark old days of the reagan era (and the communist evil empire). i agree with azure, evil is being used waay to much nowadays, and mixing religion with politics is never good.

and donut... lol [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] yep, maybe they cheered and applauded so much as not to let the guy actually speak...
Old 02-01-2002, 06:43 AM   #5
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

I saw it as an arrogant speech as well, what is it with this guy? Or maybe its just all Americans? No offence of course...

North Korea? They havent even poked the US since the Korean war. wtf is Bush doing bringing it up now? He should have left it as it was...peaceful...
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 02-01-2002, 07:44 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

me thinks that the US is stepping its foot waay over the borderline to another World war... which i dont want to happen. he should have just kept his mouth shut about other countries and mind its own business. just because he "thinks" that North Korea has terrorist then that does not mean he should make a world wide CATASTROPHE!!

Catch me if you can..
Old 02-01-2002, 07:59 AM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Echoes of Reagan's 'Evil Empire' representation of the USSR.

I won't comment on the delivery or content of the speech but I was amazed to hear that there were 49 standing ovations. Bloody hell - that's almost one per state! Did one state not turn up? Come on, who was it? Alaska? Hawaii? The ovations must have taken more time than the speech. Were they trying to maka a point or is this normal in State of the Union speeches?

I claim the non-clapping state is.....Vermont.

The State of The Union address is notorious for having way to much clapping. None of them want to be caught not supporting the President. None of them have any guts either.

Mark
Old 02-01-2002, 08:08 AM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
I saw it as an arrogant speech as well, what is it with this guy? Or maybe its just all Americans? No offence of course...

North Korea? They havent even poked the US since the Korean war. wtf is Bush doing bringing it up now? He should have left it as it was...peaceful...

No offence taken Scholarcs (at least not from me)!

Anyone else remember Bush saying, early last year, that it would be a lot easier if he were the Dictator of America? Hmmmmm....

Mark
Old 02-01-2002, 08:09 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Seems that Bush is trying to grab for alot here, intimidating other nuclear powers isn´t a good thing.

Irans president is actually trying to builed up good relations with the western world and well, a try to encourag them would be to say positive things about them, not to have them equaled with their long time nemy as evil.. North Korea have a big army, but no soldier fight good on empty stomache. North Korea is dependant on help from outside to feed their populace.

I think that statement was pretty stupid IMHO.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 02-01-2002, 08:17 AM   #10
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

We watched the first part of the speech, the kids continued to watch it for a bit and gave up as they were laughing so hard they couldn't hear it anyhow. I haven't seen so much up-and-down action (standing ovation) since the last time I attended a Mass!

His whole speech was designed to be so much political justification for asking for more $ for the military (wouldn't it be nice if it meant the actual soldiers got a raise for a change) and for neglecting the rest of the economy. Face it, this guy couldn't care less if kids go hungry or programs are cut on a local basis or even if the people care! as long as he can go make war on *somebody*.

Before anyone jumps on me--I agree wholeheartedly we (generic we) need to lessen/disable terrorists and their hidey holes. BUT we in the US are *NOT* the only ones who are capable and/or willing to do this, the US is *NOT* the world's policeman and the US *does* have extremely important tasks to attend to at home!!!

No, I am not a Bush fan (tho he did win a little grudging respect after the 911 attack) and I will support policy in general. But somebody really should have reminded this man that it was the *State of the **Union** address not the 'Piss Off (or On, depending on your view)the World' address!!!