Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-10-2001, 12:38 PM   #1
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

I've been collecting DVDs for over 3 years now. Anyone who has watched a movie on DVD knows that the picture and sound quality is outstanding. But, another added benefit of this technology is the storage capacity of the disc. With its huge amount of space, many producers of DVDs add extras to the disc, that cannot be found elsewhere. The "making of" featurettes, interviews with actors, writers, producers, and directors; even audio commentaries that play along with the movie.

With that said, I expect more form a movie on DVD, than on VHS tapes. I like the extras, and love the added quality in picture and sound. I judge new releases on all of this. Many "classic" movies that have been transferred to DVD do not add the extras. They transfer the movie, and leave it at that. It can be disappointting.

Now my review:

The DVD
I am pleased to say that the transfer was outstanding. The color of many "classic" movies has faded, but the trasnfer was from a great, high-quality original print. The color is brighter than I've ever seen of this movie, (I do own 3 copies on tape, the original, a collectors edition, and an "enhanced" edition)and the picture was sharp. The best part was the sound. The DVD was enhanced to include Dolby Surround, and did a great job. The actors voices are louder, and clearer because of this. The soundtrack. is great, and the Dolby system really helps it come alive.

The extras included the original trailer, a "collector's booklet" (two pages of sappy text. The only bad thing of this set) The Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
Available subtitles: Spanish, French It also includes closed-captioned,
There is a commentary by Eli Wallach, James Coburn and Walter Mirisch (from the original cast), an exclusive Photo Gallery, and a new Documentary. The movie plays in Widescreen anamorphic (I have no idea was that means) format.

The DVD adds a LOT to the movie.

The Movie - The Magnificent Seven (1960)

This western is a remake of Kurasawa's 1954 eastern classic, The Seven Samauri. This American version stars Yul Brenner, Eli Wallach (the bad guy, not one of the seven), Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen, Horst Buchholz, Brad Dexter, James Coburn, and Robert Vaughn. Chris (Brenner)is chosen to help guard a Mexican village from Calvera (Wallach) and his bandits that come every year to supply themselves. Chris holds "auditions", and picks six other men. The Seven go to the town and teach the villagers how to defend themselves. When the bandits come ,they fight them and drive them off. Then, the village betrays the Seven, turning them over to the bandits.

Calvera takes their guns and sends them out of town. He gives allows them to take their horses and gives their guns back to them when they are far out of town. Britt (Coburn) gives one of his few (only seven lines of dialouge for his character)lines in the movie. "Nobody throws my own guns at me and tells me to run. Nobody." The Seven decide that it's time for a final showdown.

Conclusion
Akira Kurasawa, who wrote, directed, and produced the Seven Samauri, loved this reamke so much that he sent John Sturges a ceromonial samauri sword, with a letter thanking hom for the remake.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
Old 05-10-2001, 10:04 PM   #2
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

bump

dammit, I hate when nobody reads my stuff....

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 05-10-2001, 10:21 PM   #3
onthepequod
Quintesson

Good Friend LoneStarDawg,

I have a question and you seem to be just the gent to answer. I seriously considered the purchase of an Dell Laptop (Celeron 700Mhz and 14.1" screen) with a DVD drive. How easy is it to connect this to a television in order to watch movies on DVD? onder1:

BTW, I have an appointment for a hearing test tomorrow at 10:00 AM. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:34 PM   #4
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
Good Friend LoneStarDawg,

I have a question and you seem to be just the gent to answer. I seriously considered the purchase of an Dell Laptop (Celeron 700Mhz and 14.1" screen) with a DVD drive. How easy is it to connect this to a television in order to watch movies on DVD?

BTW, I have an appointment for a hearing test tomorrow at 10:00 AM. Thanks for the advice.
Good idea on the hearing test. Glad I could help.

Many laptops have a "DVD video-out" connection. (I don't remember the tech term) If you know the model & number of the laptop (Inspiron or Latitude) I can find out. (I worked at DELL for awhile, and still have access to a lot of their tech sites) Also, what kind of input connections does you TV have?
<---- tech stuff is fun

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 05-10-2001, 10:48 PM   #5
onthepequod
Quintesson

I'm looking at the Inspiron 4000.

Co-axle(sp?) and I don't know what the other one is called but it is just like a stereo component connection.

Old 05-10-2001, 10:54 PM   #6
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
I'm looking at the Inspiron 4000.

Co-axle(sp?) and I don't know what the other one is called but it is just like a stereo component connection.

AW YEAH, nice one

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/produc...inspn_4000.htm

This link is for an image of the right side of the machine. Quote: S-Video Out - connects your notebook to a TV for watching DVD movies or displaying presentations on a larger screen

It will also come with software, but I'll send you a link for PowerDVD and a crack, if you have no objections

The PirateDawg <---
Old 05-10-2001, 11:15 PM   #7
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Rudedawg, sorry I just got back,(watching 61 on HBO) loved The magnifcent Seven
and all westerns. Almost didn't sign in Stagecoach is on, the original, B&W with the "Duke". Don't know much about DVDs. To make it up, a little test for you can you name five movies that the "Duke" died in?

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 05-10-2001, 11:23 PM   #8
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Rudedawg, sorry I just got back,(watching 61 on HBO) loved The magnifcent Seven
and all westerns. Almost didn't sign in Stagecoach is on, the original, B&W with the "Duke". Don't know much about DVDs. To make it up, a little test for you can you name five movies that the "Duke" died in?

I thought he only died in The Shootist

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 05-10-2001, 11:36 PM   #9
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
I thought he only died in The Shootist

I'll let this run a bit before giving the answers, I'll give you a hint on one about Texas indepenance. BK no going on the web for the answers.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 05-10-2001, 11:41 PM   #10
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

[quote]Originally posted by John D Harris:
Quote:
I'll let this run a bit before giving the answers, I'll give you a hint on one about Texas indepenance. BK no going on the web for the answers.
OK, I remember that one also...
I'll try to remember, and no using the 'net...

------------------

The RudeDawg

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-10-2001).]