Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #271
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Oley

The mage smiled, then rearranged his face into a harsh scowl, winked at Vindson, and then went back through the door into the lab, looked around for any disturbances, made a few mental notes, and went to a shelf filled with potion bottles, took one down labeled absynthe, another one labeled ether, one marked toadstool shavings, a very small vial labeled Kraken ink, and began mixing them into a larger beaker. He dripped a few drops of the ink into the other mixed ingredients, and said a few short harshly guttural syllables and a small gout of flame burst from his left forefinger. He then held the bottle under it, heating it to a boil. The bottle turned from a near-black purple color, to a bright blue, then brilliant green as it bubbled. Then the fire died, and he set the beaker into a metal stand letting it cool.

That went well he thought then walked into the menagerie quietly, observing silently and waiting paitently, with a look that was not at all patient on his face.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:41 AM   #272
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

For Xaver

At one point, perhaps, the material that has been so crudely stitched to form the large bag might well have been valuable in its own right, being apparently torn from a bolt of the kind of striking, but sturdy fabric one often finds in the wagons of merchants. The material is badly soiled, but even in the dim light of a lantern it is clear that its pattern of colors had been quite vivid. Upon opening the bag, it is necessary for the dwarf to turn his head – so strong is the stink of rotting meat within it. One simply cannot proceed gently with a thing such as this and so the contents of the bag are quickly shaken out onto the cavern floor and a few hasty steps backward are taken simply to allow the foul assortment of odors to dissipate a bit before one can spend any time in sorting through the odd assortment of things that falls from the sack. Two large and obviously spoiled hunks of meat are quickly kicked aside and just as quickly begin to draw flies. Small limbs covered in fur – what would seem to be the feet (and legs) of several rabbits – strung together with a long piece of rawhide cord lie next to the brightly reflective shards of what must have once been the silvered glass of a mirror. A brass bell without its clapper sounded a merry note as it strikes the stone floor of the cavern and lies now between a handful of arrowheads made from silver. Scraps of polished metal, a few coins and bits of colored glass surround a tin whistle and a gold ring whose interior is stained with what must be the blood of the finger that once wore it. Several clear crystals of no real value and a large piece of rose quartz have also tumbled out of the bag, and with them no fewer than a dozen large amethysts – all of good quality and all cut by skilled hands.
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 AM   #273
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Gillian

Gillian sat back and regarded the little construction cautiously. He had found its making surprisingly enjoyable but now it came to it . . .

Ainyra had proved usefully deft with a needle and thread and had made a serviceable ‘body’ from some thin leathery material that they’d stuffed with sand. Rather than worry about legs they decided to allow it to move around by dragging itself with its arms and, where possible, climbing and brachiating. They had elected to make the thing wider at the base so it would be stable when stationary. Kuan had molded a head from clay and inserted a spike of wood into it and then through to the vaguely conical body giving the thing a total height of just under twelve inches. The four arms (two on each side and one front and back) were made of pliable rope Gillian had cut to length and attached but the ‘hands’ – the hands . . .

Gillian looked across to Kuan. “Are you sure about the monkey paws? It seems a little bit necromantic to me and, besides, there were only six in the jar.”
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #274
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Lest ye players forget the reason why we are all here, let this be a reminder. For this game is called the Lord of the Forums; yet what does this mean? Who is the Lord?

Any Ironworker you ask would tell you that Ziroc is the Lord over these forums, but some people know that this crown of authority is being sought after by a sinister being that started out as a mere minion of the overlord webmaster. This being began to devise a plan to take control of the forums and become the malevolent ruler over the website, one forum at a time. He conquered forum after forum, growing in power and plotting for even more.

In this dark past, there have been many to stand up to the Mage and try preventing him from obtaining his power. A few were able to slow him down but none have ever stopped his progress completely. Fewer still exist today that can remember the beginning of the war.

We find ourselves in yet another chapter and another plot has begun, but what is the plot? What evil plan has the Mage invented that needs to be stopped? So far, all we've seen in the last several pages is his minion Andrion off to perform some trivial task that will end the existance of some long-forgotten clan that nobody cares for anymore. So what? Why should we care of this? Is this all that the Mage has for us? Are we left to go wandering about the game, in search of the next ugly ettin that is terrorizing some farming town?

I say to you, nay. The plan is in place. The plot is underway. You are all participating in it, even though you do not realize it. Dark magic is at work, and you all set around, twiddling your fingers and thinking that all in the world is okay, but for the odd monster encounter. This, my friends and fellow gamers is where you all need to understand...

Death is at your doorstep.

================================================== ===========================

The Mage of Shadow

The Mage had sent Andrion off hours ago to perform the task of bringing down the last remaining clan of IW, which coincedently was the first to exist back in the Blue Board days, and to return with the Flame. Meanwhile, the Mage had been observing his devious new plan in action and as he did so, remembered that he had not gone to give his two special guests a formal welcome to the Tower. He knew that Senora was comatose and would be no fun at all, but Morgie was here, and it was time to go have a chat with him. He stepped from his throne and past his worthy shadow dwarf guards, and walked into the dark wall that was made from the strange rock that had been harvested by the shadow giants.

To those that were not born of shadow, the walls might feel as cold as ice, stealing the warmth from the body of the living. The air within the tower was heavy with a dark vapor that would sting the lungs. The shadows within danced with a sinister life, making it hard to discern what was just shadow play and what was a real threat.

From the shadows that danced, stepped the Mage again, appearing now in the dungeons where Morgie was confined to a small cell.

How would he find the old paladin?
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #275
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Oley

The mage observed his would-be pupil, and the pair of seekers after knowledge. Their work was rudimentary, crude and unpolished at best, like child with a rubber hammer who is told to pound the dents out of a copper kettle, but it functions, if only for a few minutes before the animating magic gave out and the safeguards of the room shut it down. He took stock, they'd used several of the monkey paws, but they'd used materials at hand, and done quite well, if they could make use of real components and built a flesh golem, or perhaps even a stone golem, well he'd be more than pleased with them. His own attempts had always infused a bit too much of a random element into the creatures, and he'd always been forced to activate the safeguards and teleport the creatures to the center of a volcano he knew about, if the rampaging construct managed to escape that, the brood of dragons that kept the place as a summer home had always successfully dealt with the results of his tinkering (at least he'd never heard of one of his creations getting loose, or coming after him for revenge for making them).

Oley loudly cleared his throat, looking critically at the work, although a hint of respect managed to glimmer through. "I see you've been fooling around with my lab, getting a bit of practical experience instead of just theory." He looked them over, and made a visible mental checklist of the room, eyeing suspiciously every beaker, bottle, case, and sack that had been accessed. "Gilliam, I'd like to hear your answers to the question I posed to you earlier. If you pass, I've some tasks that are essential to the success of several of my projects here, they will no doubt be of great value to your instruction."
Old 06-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #276
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Morguerat

Darkness. Void. Helpless. Chains of solitude. Depression. Apathy. Gloom. The feelings and sensations permeate every atom of this forsaken hole. The walls bear an unearthly chill, that the gods themselves are barred from warming. For here in this abysmal sinkhole, the presence of the Mage holds at bay much of their influence. Much, but not all. And for one who so recently was completely cut off from all things of diety, the glimmer, that faint presence of the divine that he could feel here buoyed him in the otherwise dismal environment. He did not know how long he'd been a prisoner. Time had travelled differently when he'd first been a paladin in Larry's service, and it's passage had felt different yet again upon his reentry with Larry, Senora, and Joe. Whether this was a byproduct of the perpetual twilight or more to do with the towers existence on multiple planes of existence, he wasn't sure, but suspected the latter more than the former.

There was no sound, but a subtle change in the air, a malevolence that was far more immediate than the pervaiding tone of the cell had entered, probably to torment him. Morguerat was almost willing to bear it rather than the empty tinny ring his ears made when faced with absulote silence for days, weeks, months, or however long he'd been here. He knew that he had not been able to restore his vitality but whether it was a function of the tower itself, or a lack of adequate time to recover the ability he didn't know. Heck he didn't even know how long the dwarves had had him unconscious.

"I would have expected you here sooner," A simple statement, no fear, no resignation, no taunt were voiced by it, to display anything at all would be to reward the Mage far more than he deserved.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #277
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Mage of Shadow

He smirked at the strength his old acquaintance still possessed from within and responded,

"Well, I have been rather busy with the new army I am creating, but I won't trouble you with that."

He passed through the dark bars that confined Morgie to this place as though they were mere shadows and nothing of real substance. Drawing a little closer to his caged rat, he continued.

"I hoped you were ready to give me some information. I already know the whereabouts of Larry Silverfall, but I know little of your two other companions that broke into my tower. Care to tell me anything about them?"
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 AM   #278
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sever 19/31

Sever laughed politely at Pandaros' remark. "I see there's to be nothing escaping the ever vigilant eyes of a ranger. Very well, my hands shall not venture towards my pockets 'til we are long done with this place. You really shouldn't be so wary though. I'm not half as.."

Sever trailed off as his eyes caught a brief glimpse of a string line suspended across the narrow passage. Holding the torch closer, it appeared to be connected to a pully system hidden within a darkened recess of the wall. Following the length of string to its source, his eyes ended up at the ceiling to where a large metal basin appeared to be suspended above. "Sometimes it is wise to let a thief go first" Sever said as if to himself.

There was no telling what the basin contained. Indeed, it could be completely empty, but he wasn't in the mood for stuff landing on him this day, and no chances were to be taken. The device, simplistic in design, appeared to also be simple enough to deactivate. Some amount of care had been taken to ensure that the basin was concealed from view in a raised recess in the ceiling. Three of its sides were a snug fit against the stone. It could only pivot in the direction intended and on that side there was a small amount of clearance between it and the recess wall. Enough for it to swing freely if activated, but not enough that a wedge of some description couldn't be placed to lock the basin in an upright position.

A quick search of the immediate area provided no such wedge, but Sever knew where he had seen one. He quickly informed Pandaros of the situation and headed back to the ettin's sleeping area to retrieve the large tree branch that had served as its crude weapon. Dragging it back to the trap, he spent a small amount of time hacking it to the desired length and shape before he felt he was ready to prop it into position. Raising it as high as he could, he placed the shaped end of the branch against the rim of the basin and sought Pandaros' aid to bang the lower end upwards with the haft of his shortsword, wedging the branch between basin and stone. Sever stood back to admire his handiwork.

"WorkSafe would have a field day, but i'm neither guild nor union. It'll do for as long as we're here, just don't go sneezing too loud around it." Sever smiled his roguish smile and continued, torch in hand, down the passage.
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #279
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Xaver

Xaver sat examining the items in the pouch, oblivious of the commotion with the trap. He noted Sever going away, then coming back with the tree branch. The dwarf finished examining the contents, then as neatly as he could put them back inside, except the rotten meat, and approached his two companions. He looked at the branch and the basin for a few moments. Then turned to Sever.

"Good job there. It seems thieves do have their uses sometimes." He handed the pouch to Pandaros. "I found this on the ettin's body. It's mainly junk, but did have a few gems that might be worth something. Keep it on you for the time being. I'll be following Sever into this passage... Staying behind him of course..." he added as he made a 'you first' gesture to the thief.
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #280
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sever 19/31

"Of course. For the other reason thieves are useful, presumably?" Sever laughed. "I have a good feeling about this. We'll all look back and laugh, i promise. But for the mean time, you've gotta get over the whole 'Sever's gonna murder us in our sleep' thing. At least 'til you've heard my story. Then you can make up your minds one way or another. But for now, the task at hand, gentlemen. Shall we see where this passage leads us?"
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote