Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
robo donkey
Manshoon

Starting a new game for the first time in a year or so. I've been checking all the best party/most amusing party/party strategies threads and have come up with what I think is the ultimate powergamers party.

PC - Human Male Invoker (From BG1 so good stats)
Korgan
Yoshimo -> Imoen (the spellhold swap)
Jaheira

Now, I am not a true powergamer, and as the PC is neutral with good leanings (much like jaheira, will be doing the righteous thing most of the time) Korgan is just rotten roleplaying, and hence I will take Minsc instead. Once Imoen is back this makes a good roleplay from a BG1 point of view as these are the characters you are assumed to be travelling with prior to BG2 (as they are with
you in Chateau Irenicus).

I feel I should explain the inclusion of Jaheira and the two empty spaces. Normally I don't like priests and I don't like multi-classes. Jaheira is the tank in this party and is the reason it only has four people in it. Druids rock once they get to level 15 as the system suddenly gives them 5 extra seventh level slots, compensating for the stupid amount of time they spend waiting to level up before this. Sadly Jaheira, being multiclass, has to get 6000000 xp before getting to this point, after which she is, IMHO, one of the strongest NPCs in the game. With 6 in the party this would take forever, but with 4, and Watcher's Keep in chapter 6, she'll get there sooner.

This party is weak at ranged combat as both Jaheira and Minsc will be dualing, only Imoen will have any ranged ability. The obvious remedy is to recruit Mazzy and Valygar, but that will delay Jaheira being good untill much, much later, and making a case for Anomen or (groan) Cernd. Viconia would just be rubbish roleplay.

I kind of think that I'm thinking too much about this and that the me, Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen party would make the game a walkover. I'd like to know what you think.

[ 08-24-2005, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: robo donkey ]
robo donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

sounds cool - solid well developed characters of course although all accept jahiera miss having their own quests

not sure what you mean about swapping korgan for minsc - you get minsc first - and as you say your eventual party is the "the-people-i-left-irenicus'-dungeon-with" party

from a power point of view as imoen is pretty much pure mage your PC would be 'better' as a fighter/mage or fighter->mage which would also give you some ranged fire power but if you're attached to your BG1 character it's no biggy

i also think that planning parties is fun [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-24-2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
robo donkey
Manshoon

I meant that korgan is a better fighter and therefore would be in the powergaming party. I however will take Minsc (never take korgan) instead to improve roleplaying (and banter). (Edited the first post to make this a bit clearer)

Another benefit of having four is that if you want to do other characters' quests you can do the ones that aren't timed (by that i mean having to have the character in the party for a time) by taking those characters in for a bit. I can't think of any really worthwhile timed quests apart from Jaheira's. Anomen, Nalia, Keldorn, all rubbish.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by robo donkey:
...and have come up with what I think is the ultimate powergamers party.
I disagree.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

[img]redface.gif[/img]

PC- Assassin-> Mage
Jaheira
Kelsey
Valygar

Go with Item Upgrade, and construct the club that gives GM in clubs and give it to Jaheira (if you have the GM patch). Then, give her Belm for 5 ApR or 10 if IH is applied. A tank in the beginning, but a real damage-dealer later on. Summoner (Fire Elementals kick butt) and Mage neutralizer (Insect Plague) early on. A quick healer if really, really necessary.

Valygar: Gloves of Extraordinary Specialization and Kundane gives another warrior with 5 ApR (10 with IH) along with a backstabbing potential. Greater Deathblow is nice.

Kelsey: Damage dealer, with spells or with MMM.

Assassin-> Mage: Thief. Poison Weapon and MMM/Energy Blades darn near obliterates all non-poison resist enemies. Also, Mislead/Backstab powergaming exploit is very powerful.

That's one of the best 4-person powergaming parties I can make. Valygar is one of the weak parts of the party, being the only one without any ability to protect using Stoneskin/Ironskin, but is essential to beat down enemies resistant to magic. I value him better than Minsc because he can backstab, allowing a bit of extra damage before the battle really begins.

Four versus six party: You gain 16% of experience in a six person party, while 25% in a four person party. That's a pretty big difference. However, the sheer amount of the firepower that 2 people can add sometimes make it worthwhile, and quest experience cares naught about the number of people in your party. Nonetheless, I like a lower number of people in the party, because it's a lower number of people to protect from backstab and also makes it slightly more powerful later on.

[ 08-24-2005, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
robo donkey
Manshoon

Assassin, you make a good case. I don't like item upgrade, I think alot of the weapons are already overpowered. I don't plan on using non-bioware NPC's, but a sorcerer npc could take Kelsey's place and Imoen the thief -> mage. I wouldn't see the need for Valygar's backstab in your party due tho the assasin PC, but with Imoen as my thief he would be more useful. He would also add much needed missile power. Travelling with a mage/sorcerer makes for questionable role play, but from a powergaming point I think you might have it. You have convinced me to change the party to,

PC Sorcerer (or Invoker from BG1)
Jaheira
Yoshimo -> Imoen
Valygar

Krunchyfrog, I don't expect you to agree. That's the point of a forum. Two word posts aren't really that helpful (unless your goal is to increse your rank...)
Old 08-27-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

umm, ok.

BTW, you'll go a lot farther with a sorcerer than any mage.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #8
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by robo donkey:
Assassin, you make a good case. I don't like item upgrade, I think alot of the weapons are already overpowered. I don't plan on using non-bioware NPC's, but a sorcerer npc could take Kelsey's place and Imoen the thief -> mage. I wouldn't see the need for Valygar's backstab in your party due tho the assasin PC, but with Imoen as my thief he would be more useful. He would also add much needed missile power. Travelling with a mage/sorcerer makes for questionable role play, but from a powergaming point I think you might have it. You have convinced me to change the party to,

PC Sorcerer (or Invoker from BG1)
Jaheira
Yoshimo -> Imoen
Valygar

Krunchyfrog, I don't expect you to agree. That's the point of a forum. Two word posts aren't really that helpful (unless your goal is to increse your rank...)
Heh. Okay, then just use some other weapon other than the Club. 9 ApR if IH isn't all that bad. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As for the Assassin-> Mage: The main selling point for me is the poison weapon, something that a Thief/Mage can't do. However, a Thief Mage is often very useful. If you're absolutely against non-Bioware NPCs (what about other mods? If you're not using *any* other mods, then darn near any well-built party will slice through the game), then I would shift it to...

Imoen
Jaheira
Anomen
PC- Sorcerer

Now, there aren't many good frontliners for goody-two shoes. Valygar, Minsc and Anomen are the only ones that come to mind right now. Valygar's better than Minsc because they're both Rangers, but Valygar has minor backstab/spell capability. However, Anomen can GM in any weapon, though without the patch, it isn't worth it to go above specialization. He has has the entire priest spell selection to go through.

Anyhow, you have a whole ton of spells with this setup. Race through Chatper 2 and 3, pick up Imoen from Spellhold, then finish out the sidequests. Admittedly, no Thief until Imoen, but it's not really necessary. Missile power is not necessary. MMM will serve for the few times you really need to, and spells/melee power can usually carry the day. That and a few summons.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:32 AM   #9
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

Best party? I thought it was;

PC Fighter / Mage / Thief
Edwin
Anomen
Keldorn

(I'm surprised how quickly this thread hit the wall!) [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

The main problem with sticking Anomen and Keldorn in the same party is that they will both benefit so much from the one set of Bracers of Dexterity. Anomen should take them and be the frontliner (with the buffed PC), while Keldorn can reach over the front line and still hit with a Two Handed Sword. Later in the game you can certainly look at him dual weilding Foebane +5 (with any one of numerous weapons {such as The Answerer}) with whirlwind attacks.

With a PC that has some thieving skills, the benefit in using Imoen is diminished, and you may as well go with the best mage in the game thanks to the extra spell slots; Edwin. Keldorn's True Seeing makes up for one of the big deficiencies in the Conjurer kit.

The party is a mix of good and evil, so the PC would be well served by watching the reputation. Higher prices for merchandise shouldn't be a big issue with a (part-time, admittedly) Thief in the group.
Cam_H is offline   Reply With Quote