Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 11:22 PM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

**7 things that annoying a cat**

Even the coolest cat can suddenly become a bundle of nerves when subjected to annoyances – call them pet pet peeves – that drive them crazy.

Theresa Todd saw that happen when a neighbor began petting her new cat Kerouac. “He’s so cute!” Todd’s neighbor gushed, only to have Kerouac begin hissing loudly. “Kerouac!” Todd cried as her neighbor jumped back in surprise. “What’s gotten into you?”

The fact is cats can get riled and complain in a variety of ways, such as fleeing, nonstop meowing or hissing at strangers, in response to negative stimuli. Here are some common pet peeves and how to avoid them:

Being tripped on. This is probably the number one bummer for cats. “Cats don’t like it either when you step on their tails because it hurts.” says certified animal behaviorist Mary Burch, author of Volunteering With Your Pet.

What you can do: Change your walk pattern. “Teach yourself to look first, then step,” says Burch. You can also teach your cat to move when your feet get near by firmly saying, “Move,” as you approach. If your cat doesn’t budge, gently guide her out of the way. Once your cat does move, praise her with hugs and “Good, kitty.”

Loud noises. Cats will naturally flee from thunder, construction work and fireworks. “Loud noises usually don’t signal good things to a cat,” says John C. Wright, author of Is Your Cat Crazy?

What you can do: Don’t feed the fear by over-reacting and pampering your cat. Just chill out instead. “Act calm and rational,” says Burch. “Provide your cat with a safe, secure place (such as crate or bedroom). The key is for you to act like everything is under control.”

Bothersome dogs. While cats and dogs can live in peace, some dogs can get under a cat's skin, too. “Pesky canines ruin the peaceful lives of cats by barking, biting or chasing the cats,” says Burch.

What you can do: Socialize your animals early, do introductions slowly and separate young and old pets. Feed your pets at the same time – but in separate areas to avoid squabbles. Also, provide safe spots for your cat should the dog decide a game of chase might be fun, explains Burch.

Litter box changes. Linda Hill noticed that once she exchanged her old litter box for a new-and-improved one, her cat started eliminating in the bathtub instead of her box. That’s no surprise to Betsy Cambarbri, animal behaviorist at Peninsula Humane Society in San Mateo, Calif. “Cats don’t like change,” she says.

What you can do: “If you have a winning litter box situation, don’t change it,” says Cambarbri, who also advises changing the litter often “because cats are neatniks.”

Being tossed out of their favorite spots. Cats also have their favorite places and get bugged by being shooed away. “It ticks them off because you’re violating their Queendom,” says Wright.

What you can do: You can relocate, relocate, relocate. “If your cat prefers your stove or kitchen counter tops and you prefer that the cat not be there,” says Burch, “make sure the cat has alternative places with similar features.” You may want to invest in a cat tree.

Too much attention. “A lot of pats from new people can drive a feline up the wall,” Wright says. Being picked up also can turn the sweetest cat from nice to naughty.

What you can do: “Let guests know that if your cat wants to be petted, she’ll come to them,” he says.

Too little attention. When a cat comes to you and you don’t acknowledge her presence, she may find it a nuisance. “They think it’s rude,” says Wright, “because the cat has invited an interaction. And that’s a big deal for a cat.”

What you can do: Teresa Todd goes one step further to make her cat feel welcome. “Whenever Kerouac greets me I stop what I’m doing and say “Hi Kitty. What’s up?” she says. That way both her cat and his needs are recognized. It’s an instant pet peeve buster.

Old 10-09-2001, 11:24 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Most interesting, 250! Cat psychology 101!

I'm going to forward this to my mother (who has two cats, one of which is an inveterate biter).

------------------
Old 10-09-2001, 11:28 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Arrgh! Cats are so difficult (but I love them). Tuppence deliberately gets in my way so I can't help but trip over her. She started peeing in the corner because she didn't like her OLD litter, when we got a different variety she went 8 times a day in it. She drives our poodle up the wall teasing her and chasing her. She comes up for a pat, then when you go to pat her, she runs away!

------------------

Goddess of Undress
Co-owner of the Evil Petting Zoo and Sorceress of the HADB
OLD COOTS eye candy and Disrobed Division of the ORT
And her sidekick Pink

"High hopes...an endless river...forever and ever"
Old 10-09-2001, 11:36 PM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Dog: "Wow... those people who feed me, and pet me, they must be Gods"
Cat: "Wow... those people who feed me, and pet me, I must be a God..."
Old 10-09-2001, 11:43 PM   #5
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:

yep!

Old 10-10-2001, 07:09 AM   #6
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

Hey, rename the thread! When I saw "Cat Lovers" I thought it was a recipe thread for different ways of cooking them, nothing like flame grilled cat's tail. Only joking, but dog's are much better pets. Cat's have no loyalty and are lazy.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:18 AM   #7
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
rotflmao, 250, terrific insight into the differing orientations of dogs and cats. - btw, don't forget cat, the other white meat! LOLOLOL*ducks quickly*

------------------
Amanda's Dad

Official Pin-Up Girl Evaluator/Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:54 AM   #8
H. Sedai

Yes, I read that book. "Is my cat crazy" was very informative. It taught me alot of the body language that cats give off. I never thought of them as lazy though. They are just resting. It takes alot of energy to be them.

Old 10-10-2001, 08:26 AM   #9
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinslayer:
Hey, rename the thread! When I saw "Cat Lovers" I thought it was a recipe thread for different ways of cooking them, nothing like flame grilled cat's tail. Only joking, but dog's are much better pets. Cat's have no loyalty and are lazy.
Just FYI - whether a cat is loyal or lazy depends on the cat, the breed and the owner. I've had too many cats to count over the years and every single one has been loyal, lovable and full of energy. I've even taught some of them tricks and two (one of which is one of my current companions) LOVE to ride in the car. Neither ever did/does the 'head out the window' thing, but Maerlynn will put his nose up to the edge of the window and shut his eyes real tight and sniff till it makes him sneeze. Dogs are great, too, but I don't have a 'pack' mentality, so I prefer cats. I've noticed in talking with people I've met over the years that those who like dogs TEND (not always) to be the 'pack' type - like to get together with lots of people or be in crowds. People who like cats TEND (again - not an absolute) to prefer only a few people at a time to being alone. Hmmm...

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-10-2001, 11:12 AM   #10
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I like cats, but I prefer dogs, I just LOVE dogs, especially Collies, I know some people however who have some norwegian forest cats, they're so amazingly cute and smart too, if a little wierd at times.