Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2002, 07:43 AM   #1
Pangur Ban

I've read all sorts of reviews about Might and Magic IX, ranging from "dismal" to "reasonable" ...

Any IW'ers playing MM IX yet? What do you think about it?

P.S. How well do you think it would run on a PII 400 128mg with a GF2 MX?

[img]graemlins/cat3.gif[/img]

Pang
Old 04-15-2002, 09:27 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Has it been released? I thought it was still in Beta.

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 04-15-2002, 10:32 AM   #3
norompanlasolas

ive read all sort of reviews and they pretty much agree that its a regular game. lousy start but it picks up later on. graphics (despite lithtech engine) are somewhat ugly, gameplay is fine and the story ok. it has its few share of bugs too (patch has already been released).

i think its a tough choice. its not good enough to buy it without giving it a 2nd thought, but it doesnt suck so bad as to not even consider it. my advice would be to read the reviews, see the user feedback and then decide.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:46 AM   #4
MagiK

I have it, I loaded it..then I got sucked into the black hole known as Dungeon Seige...and I can't get out [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2002, 12:55 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I have it, I loaded it..then I got sucked into the black hole known as Dungeon Seige...and I can't get out [img]smile.gif[/img]
Aha, another DS'er! Good for you, MagiK! I'm hooked as well.

I didn't realize MM9 was out. If it's anything like that dismal piece of crap that MM8 was, I'm not interested. I'll prefer to wait and find out what other people think about it first.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 04-15-2002, 01:08 PM   #6
Nydlari
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I didn't realize MM9 was out. If it's anything like that dismal piece of crap that MM8 was, I'm not interested. I'll prefer to wait and find out what other people think about it first.
Hehe, it is.

Like any game, MMIX will appeal to some and not to other, though it has some bugs that will irritate everyone.

Basicly if you thought 8 was bad you'll think 9 is even worse; OTOH, if you thought 8 was the best in the series, you should like 9 with some exceptions. The exceptions are the bugs, and even the patch doesn't fix them all. I put in about 6 hours of gameplay before I got fed up and stopped, and in that time I crashed 4 times, and found one quest that I couldn't finish and later found out had a bug in it so that you had to delete a bunch of mini-save files and re-enter the dungeon to be able to complete it, needless to say I never did so I'm not even sure if the walkaround works. From what I've seen on some other boards, there are about 3 know bugged quests as well as the crashing issue that players want fixed, and 3DO hasn't been forthright in promising they will fix them, so I'm doubting they will. BTW these are all post patch.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:53 PM   #7
MagiK

Tech news says they fired most of the MM 9 staff....doesnt bode well for bug fixes

Old 04-16-2002, 06:07 AM   #8
Pangur Ban

Thanks for the info, everyone ..

I think I'll wait and see if a better patch comes out before I buy it.

Pang [img]graemlins/cat3.gif[/img]