Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2001, 09:30 PM   #1
Gargoyle
Manshoon

Doe's anybody else think that the fact that you can be a thief and at the same time be good is just wrong. I mean when was the last time you met a good thief, the fact that they steal automatically makes them unlawful, and yet you can go a lawful good thief. I think if your gonna be a thief you should play evil or at least neutral. Paladins can't play Evil because it would defeat the purpose and i think the same should apply to thiefs !

What do you folks think

------------------

Time is only relevant if you have none !
Old 05-02-2001, 09:35 PM   #2
Tancred
White Dragon

Robin Hood! Simon (The Saint) Templar! Both were Good thieves - even if they were Chaotic - at best, Neutral - Good. Raffles might be an example of a Neutral thief. A good thief might be, for example, a suave highwayman-type, robbing the rich and giving to the poor.

But I agree with you - a Lawful Good thief seems... odd. Unless you play him as a REFORMED thief... which would sit well with his adventurer status.

Tancred

After all, whatever class you are, you're all still adventurers. Except Anomen, he's a lvl. 18 Ponce.
Old 05-02-2001, 09:40 PM   #3
Gargoyle
Manshoon

Ah yes, Good Ol' Robin Hood, Just because he rob's from the rich, he's good, well it's still thieving as far as im concerned which makes him unlawful, but I suppose you'd consider him neutral because he did give most of it to the poor.

------------------

Old 05-02-2001, 09:49 PM   #4
Tancred
White Dragon

Well... I don't consider Robin to be Good because he gives to the Poor. I consider him good because he stole from the rich to further his long-term goal of thwarting the usurpation of King John/The Sheriff of Nottingham (depending on the version you know) and restoring the Lionheart to the throne.

Tancred

Ends justify the Means, and all that.
Old 05-02-2001, 09:56 PM   #5
Gargoyle
Manshoon

Point taken Tancred, Indeed you state a good case as to why Robin could be considered good but... When I think of thief, I think of the back alley rogue and all that Jazz and goodness plays no part of it, as for lawful....

------------------

Old 05-02-2001, 09:57 PM   #6
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

In planescape:torment you meet a couple thiefs who could be considered lawful good. One is from mount celestia and considers himself a "engineer" rather then a thief and a thief named lenny that even a harmonium officer trusts.

------------------
I am ken BOW TO ME!
Old 05-02-2001, 10:07 PM   #7
Tancred
White Dragon

I guess anyone who tries to play a Lawful Good thief simply sets themselves a very tough RPing challenge, and ends up with a condtradictory, rather narrow, shallow character - or, if they're exceptional, a masterfully crafted persona, with a VERY unique background. For the sake of common sense, I agree with thee.

Tancred

There's always room for the Exception to the Rule.
Old 05-02-2001, 10:21 PM   #8
Gimlee
Elminster

I think that you can't be a lawful good thief. It's the only alignement restriction about thieves.

Well, you can be a good thief by only disarming traps and picking locks.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:14 AM   #9
Ilvyn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The troubleshooter kit is a thief kit that acts as a sort of security officer. In order to ensure security, you will have to know about thieving skills.

As for adventuring types, I think a thief should never be lawful, but can be good.

The lawful aspect offers a different dilemma, which laws is a character lawful to? As member of a thief's guild, a character may very well be lawful to the rules of the guild, but (hence) unlafwul to the laws of the country. What would the alignment of such a character be?

As a final verdict, I insist that alignment is merely a tool for good roleplaying, and should be applied with flexibility.

---------------------
Ilvyn the Black Son
Guardian of the Prime
---------------------
Old 05-03-2001, 09:23 AM   #10
Gd_00
Dungeon Master

U CANT be a LAWFUL good thief