Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Choc I Think Choc's Kidneys *might* be slowly failing.. maybe.. (Choc is 22 1/2)

Oh man.. I don't know for SURE.. but he IS 22 1/2, and had a urine infection (little blood too in urine) last year, but with 2 rounds of antibiotics he was back to normal in a few days/weeks... but now, now is... so damn scary.. I know the time is growing close. (22 is REALLY amazing for a cat, let alone a Blind cat and his hearing isn't as good as it was, but his sense of SMELL is stronger now). but this time *feels* different...

Since Charly died of Kidney failure at almost 18, I always watch for the signs... and there have been some. just looking it up was hard to do... He's our boy! I don't want him to die.. but I also know he has been and IS a fighter.. Being born blind, and fighting his way to nearly 23 years old is incredible. I understand the circle of life, but sometimes don't want to face it.. its very sad.

Here are the symptoms of Kidney Failure ('early signs') (and if he has them)
---------------
Increased water consumption and urination (nope)
Urinary tract infections **(had one late last year)**
Constipation (nope)
Increased vomiting (nope.. none)
Diminished appetite (no way! Choc loves food.. he still begs like a dog when he can!)
Weight loss and muscle wasting **(Yes... this is what I noticed as of late)**
Lethargy or weakness **(Yes. This is what I see and worries me...)**
---------------

So anyway, what started this was I noticed over the last 2 Months his back legs have been getting weak, and sliding on the tile where he eats or drinks.. like they are weak.. this is a sign I think.... (I bought him a nice little rug to stand on to eat, and that stops the sliding). He can walk pretty good, but a tiny bit unsteady.

But a few weeks ago, I heard him chewing his treats, and it sounded like he was chewing on a styrofoam peanut.. a tooth grinding sound.. weird as hell... so after it didn't go away after 2 days, we took Choc up to the Vet, and he checked his teeth, felt his jaw and did a normal checkup.. Couldn't find anything wrong. No cracked teeth or bone issues. He did a normal checkup as well, and was good.

He lost 1 pound since his last visit in late 2013, but that may be due to the chewing issue. But he looked good the Doc said, and he seems about the same.. he's still eating all the treats (healthy ones). just slower.. And always has FILTERED cold water and the best wet foods... He likes the grilled ones, and the 'mush' ones... So I added more mush ones to his diet.. easier to eat. I just worry.. Stressed out.

But since yesterday, I've noticed when he goes to the litter box and pees, his 'stream' isn't strong as it was a week ago. No pressure behind it really.. just like 20% of the pressure it looks like... and if this keeps up, will need to see the vet again. (right?) or do older cats pee like that sometimes? sometimes he pees normal. (any cat people that may know).

Just wanted to post this... let you guys know, just in case. He's IW's mascot! And part of the forum.. (for those of you that started on the old blue board will know)

But he's eating and drinking normally (not over drinking).. eating treats, begging as usual, and does his rounds, just slower.. still jumps up on the bed with grace! But he sits odd sometimes, and I look at his face and he looks uncomfortable... maybe its just me. I dunno.. just scared to loose him..

I'll keep you updated on this.. If any of you have any tips or know the signs I talked about (back legs getting weak) etc. let me know, in this thread please.

If he changes at all I will call the vet--if the slow urinating is not normal, I'll also take him in for a full blood work/urine test. (I'm calling the vet to ask this morning about it.. just to be safe)

He still looks the same, with a few grey hairs.. I have 1000's of photos of him, and will post some soon. doesn't look unhealthy at all.. his weight has always shifted 1lb from time to time, but I am keeping a close eye on my boy.

Keep Choc in your thoughts, he may need them.

I Just know the time is getting near, and all we can do is enjoy every single day we have with him. We love him so very much.

Thanks guys

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

Default Re: I Think Choc's Kidneys *might* be slowly failing.. maybe.. (Choc is 22 1/2)

I wish you and him all the best.
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Default Re: I Think Choc's Kidneys *might* be slowly failing.. maybe.. (Choc is 22 1/2)

I can't believe he is 22!!! That's got to be close to a record! Well done you guys for being such awesome cat parents

Anyway my understanding is that the excessive drinking and urinating is the most clear sign it is kidneys, but a blood test will tell you for sure. My cat Tuppence (13yrs - which is actually also old but sounds like she's still a kitten compared to Choc!) has just been diagnosed with failing kidneys this week. She has had the desperate water drinking and peeing up to 6-7 times a day (which is very difficult given that she is already dodgy with where she will pee) as well as lethargy, a bladder infection earlier in the year, and weight loss. The vet is very confident that the special renal diet will make a big difference and I've heard from other people who have had cats/dogs with kidney problems that the diet is really helpful. Tuppy even likes the food which is amazing! So I'm hopeful it will settle down and she'll have a few more years. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:05 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I sure hope Tuppence gets better! Yeah, the diet should help (Choc has a special kind that doesn't have fillers, no grains or preservatives and good protein.) And low tar ash. (ash can cause crystals in the bladder).

Yeah, his loss of 1 lb. and back legs getting weak (does Tuppences' hind legs slide on tile too?)

It's scary though.. My last Siamese from 1980-1997, had crystals block his urethra, and they had to remove his 'man part'. Back then, the surgery was experimental in 1983, and cost a LOT, (I think it was like $2800) my parents paid it) I was a boy--Charly grew up with me.. had him as a tiny white Kitten--Siamese colors came out as he grew was cool.. But with Charly, I was still young in 1997, and didn't know what I know now.. I never noticed Charlie's weight loss until a friend came over and noticed it.. (When you're around someone every day, its hard to tell over time).

So we took him up there, and the vet says basically 'he's dying'. and within 1 week, he did.. I was so shell-shocked. stunned. I grew up with Charly. I still think of him all the time. He was also amazing, and had his own unique character.

But this time, I and trying to prepare myself... I mean, as much as you can.. It will still be heart breakingly sad. But I know that he will have had lived a great and long life, and is loved by many.

I hope Tuppy gets better, I've seen many bounce back in stories on the internet. I'll say a prayer for her. It's hard to see our pets suffer or have to deal with illnesses.

I think there is another treatment where they clean the blood in a machine, and flush the kidneys out with a water/saline type liquid, and that sometimes will also help give them a lot more quality life.

(I wonder if it's a record... not as just the oldest cat--I think that's around 30 (WOW), but the oldest born at birth blind cat may be a record!!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:24 AM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: I Think Choc's Kidneys *might* be slowly failing.. maybe.. (Choc is 22 1/2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorath Calar View Post
I wish you and him all the best.
Thanks Jorath!! I'm keeping an eye on him.

Since Choc was born blind, I always tell people "I'm his seeing-eyed human"

Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Wow, 22 is very old. All the best, hope he gets better!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeh! I know! The Vet says he is one of 3 he has known that is this old currently. But the only blind cat EVER at birth that is 22 1/2. Cool I guess..

He's back to 'normal' now.. these sezures happen usually every month, but this last month he didn't have one until a month and a week... then it wasn't the 'mild' one, it was full on thrashing around, and scared me, I really did think 'this was it', and just held onto him, getting tears on him.. He just walks a little shaky now.. that's all really.. can still jump up on the bed, and eats and drinks and goes to his cat box fine..

Just enjoying his life while we have it. Donna and I know the day will come--hell, it may not be for a year, or it could be a month. (hope not), but I can't worry daily or I'd go crazy.. So we're enjoying his life, giving him loads of love and stuff...

All you can do, really..

Thanks guys! I told him you all love him and stuff. He began to purr at that--I smiled at that. cool

Old 05-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Dan, I know how much you love the Choc!! Sounds like you're giving him the best love possible!!! 22.5 is an amazing age for a cat!! I've had a few that got into their 20s, but it's far from the average. Hope he will be doing better!! He's been a fortunate cat, and you have been a fortunate owner!! =^..^=

Will be keeping Choc (and you) in my thoughts!!!
Wyvern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
javan
Zhentarim Guard

I am hoping for the best for Choc. Take care of him and take care of yourself Z!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thank you, guys!! It means a lot. He's doing much better, almost back to his normal routine... but weak hind legs..

I just dread the next seizure.. as they have been happening on average of 1 every Month.. (used to be 1 a year)... but they seem to be getting more violent. Maybe it was just this time it was violent.. (crossing my fingers)..

But I can't sit and stress all month waiting for it.. I know.. Just enjoy our time with him, and keep him as relaxed as possible... The Vet even said a full moon can trigger a seizure... Dunno about that, could be... anything can.. smells, loud sounds... so I am extra careful about those two things around him.

Ironworks won't be the same without him, BUT, will continue in his name..