Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #21
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Very Angry Re: Bioshock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesselle View Post
ack! i just found out you can only install the game twice, and it's bound to your hardware. so, if you upgrade anything, you're in trouble.

That is such bullshit. YOU bought the game YOU should be able to install it on your system 10000000 times.
The 'trick' is to reclaim your 'installations' you have to properly uninstall it. Well, I know *I* sometimes just Del the dir... You can blame the publisher and SecuROM for this.

And it's pissing off MANY MANY people. They better remove that crap or it could hurt sales...
The only bug I am having is if I set EAX to ON, it resets ALL my audio/video/key settings to default upon restarting the game...

EAX is so damn buggy. Every game has EAX issues it seems. Must be hard to intergrate into their coding.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #22
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Tacked Note Re: Bioshock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrvias View Post
Come on, snag the retail version and the 6" Big Daddy figurine you can use to watch over yoru desk
Many people are pissed, saying they got the figurine broken... that sucks...

I'm 4 hours into the game, while it feels consolish (a word?) it still has a PC feel (just a little bit). It sure doesn't have the complexity of System Shock 2 though, which is a downer..
Personally, I'm waiting for these guys hacking the DOOM 3 engine into a Thief game--so you can use the complete conversion and editor to MAKE Thief games! Hell, I may join their 3D Modeling and levels team... I LOVED Thief.

http://www.thedarkmod.com/

Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #23
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Worried Re: Bioshock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoran View Post
well I can't get it to go past where you go down in the bathesphere... as soon as it enters the building and tries to load the next level it crashes out.

Adding a '-DX9' to your command line in the short cut helps sometimes.
For that bug, they say drop your resolution to the lowest it will go in game, and save, exit go back in, and enter the bath... what a lame bug eh?

It's smooth at 1900x1200 for me.. no slowdowns at all YET. (8800)

Old 08-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #24
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion
Default Re: Bioshock!

they've changed the official install number to 5. Not great but I suppose its good they are responding.

I've put a few more hours into the game and still find the enemies generic (and there are way too many of them) - however by refusing to accept char death and respawn (which is really cheesy in this game) and trying for wrench kills whenever possible it becomes more fun. I've also had a couple of moments that made me jump or creeped out. I'll update it to a 3.5/5. One thing I really like is using turrets and security systems against bad guys - nothing better than hearing my enemies getting gunned down in another room while I explore.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
Many people are pissed, saying they got the figurine broken... that sucks...

I'm 4 hours into the game, while it feels consolish (a word?) it still has a PC feel (just a little bit). It sure doesn't have the complexity of System Shock 2 though, which is a downer..
Personally, I'm waiting for these guys hacking the DOOM 3 engine into a Thief game--so you can use the complete conversion and editor to MAKE Thief games! Hell, I may join their 3D Modeling and levels team... I LOVED Thief.

http://www.thedarkmod.com/

Broken figurine? I wish I had gotten one. Right now, yo ucan send in the broken figurine and get a new one, *plus* some beind the scenes stuff not found in the CE version.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #26
vesselle
Hathor

*goes back to playing system shock 2*

Old 08-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #27
Thoran
Galvatron

Graphics are sensational, engine is tight (plays well at 1440x900 on my Core2 laptop... which has a crappy Intel graphics chipset)... but gameplay is definitely not top shelf... it's not horrible but definitely console simplified. As an FPS it's lacking many immersive features, body position control (more than crouch anyway, stealth, combat often degenerates into bash it out with guys that take a ton of hits to kill... even if you get the drop on em)

Cool game overall... but I'd not give it the 90+ rankings it's getting online... probably 80-85.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #28
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

There is no threat to dying at all. Just a personal 'I don't want to die' thing. Actually, dying is WORTH it, because it respawns you with half health and half Eve. So if you're low on eve, go kill yourself.. Lame...

Should be some type of threat to dying. some penalty.. I'm just forcing myself to reload if I die, a personal goal..
Those big daddies are scary suckers, but you can take care of them around pillars.. just go around the pillars backwards, firing at them.

It's kinda....wrong feeling to take the adam from the sisters. even if they are creepy, just sits wrong with me in a way. Anyone else?

Old 08-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #29
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Well, I mean, morally, yes. But pratically? You get more Adam the hard way

Personally, I've been trying to save them, just because that's how I roll.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #30
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yeah, I have been waiting for this game for a while and was going to wait a while after release to scope it out, but I needed something to distract me from WoW so I went and bought it.
Not bad so far, graphics are quite good, especially on Xbox.
Fighting Big Daddy's is awesome fun, and I like the idea of the plasmids, but I agree with Thoran, I wouldn't give it the rating its getting from some... yet...

I think it's just lacking immersion, as in, i'm not being dragged into the story like some (very few) games these days.. though maybe it's just me?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote