Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm having some trouble setting up a wireless keyboard on my new system. It was a MS keyboard/mouse combo that i bought about 2 years ago. Installed with intellitype and intellipoint 5.0 drivers but the system fails to recognise the keyboard hardware. In the device manager and keyboard setup it keeps registering the old hardware and tells me that the device is working properly. Been through the troubleshooter several times, changed the batteries and positioned the reciever in every reasonable location. Mouse works fine. Anyone had any experience/trouble with the MS wireless multimedia keyboard?

*Edit: The keyboard worked fine on the old system up until a format and misplaced drivers. It hasn't been used in 6 months or so. Do they break without actually being used? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-23-2006, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:40 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Had this happen with a MS keyboard twice in the past few weeks, in one case, it had something to do with the PS2 connector (purple one) if it was in, one would work, if I used the USB, the other device would work, unfortunantly I wasn't able to find a proper fix, and it just involved some fiddling around
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:06 AM   #3
Sever

The keyboard connection is PS2 only. The mouse is a USB with a PS2 adapter. Both are wired into the same reciever (with about three inches of cord to play with so i'm not sure if it'll reach the USB while the keyboard's plugged in). I'll give it a try and see what happens. I've tried everything else i can think of. Thanks again HT. [img]smile.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 04-23-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Actually, I think you can use the USB for both, the PS2 connection is just there in case the USB doesn't work.

I will look into the problem more, I still have the Keyboard/mice at work and can have a fiddle [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2006, 04:20 AM   #5
Sever

That explains why it's so short, i guess. I give it a shot.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 04-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I have heard of this issue in the past. This may sound funny, but reboot and check your BIOS. Ensure it is set for USB keyboard/mouse. I have heard that on occassion this resets to disabled, and can cause havoc. Also, attempt to gently clean the connections with pure rubbing alcohol, and allow to ari dry for a few moments prior to re-connecting. While you have it disconnected, go ahead and give the USB a blast of canned air as well, we all know how those dust bunnies evolve.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:57 AM   #7
Sever

It doesn't sound funny at all, Felix. That would explain why it's not working in PS2 configuration. I've plugged it into the USB and everything seems fine. I'm anxious to see how well it performs for gaming. If it's not up to scratch, i'll stuff around in the BIOS and try to set up a PS2 connection. We'll see. Thanks for the advice guys. [img]smile.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 04-24-2006, 03:07 AM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Good advice, and I have seen wierder things happen, but the USB settings in BIOS (mainly the Keyboard/mouse ones) generally just decide whether or not the Keyboard/mouse is usable from the time POST finishes to when Windows loads.

As Felix said, give the things a good clean, dust is quite often the cause of SO many PC problems (especially when you work at a mine [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 04-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
Sever

As i feared, there's an occasional keystroke lag or "sticky" key when playing games. And extended keystrokes always disengage after about 8 seconds. Both are unacceptable. That's when it was hooked up to the USB. What i can't figure out is why the keyboard worked when first plugged in to the USB with Intellipoint drivers NOT installed and BIOS features disengaged. The keyboard worked on boot-up to enter setup but after engaging USB support, nothing! I've since tried all combos of USB and drivers on and off and it still refuses to work.

The USB ports are clean (brand new in fact) and the USB on the reciever might as well be new as it's only just recently been removed from the adapter. The PS2 socket, on the other hand, could well be dirty. But that doesn't explain why the keyboard worked briefly while connected to the USB. :sigh: I've tried everything else. I might as well pull it to bits and give it a dose of alcohol. Though all i have is over-proof Bundy Rum. Will that work?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 04-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
As i feared, there's an occasional keystroke lag or "sticky" key when playing games. And extended keystrokes always disengage after about 8 seconds. Both are unacceptable. That's when it was hooked up to the USB. What i can't figure out is why the keyboard worked when first plugged in to the USB with Intellipoint drivers NOT installed and BIOS features disengaged. The keyboard worked on boot-up to enter setup but after engaging USB support, nothing! I've since tried all combos of USB and drivers on and off and it still refuses to work.

The USB ports are clean (brand new in fact) and the USB on the reciever might as well be new as it's only just recently been removed from the adapter. The PS2 socket, on the other hand, could well be dirty. But that doesn't explain why the keyboard worked briefly while connected to the USB. :sigh: I've tried everything else. I might as well pull it to bits and give it a dose of alcohol. Though all i have is over-proof Bundy Rum. Will that work?
Well it might help you cope with the loss of your loved keyboard