Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-07-2002, 05:01 PM   #1
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Ok, so everyone raves about how totally amazing a Kensai/Mage is but I was just wondering, if a Beserker/Mage wouldn't better cause they can use, helms, sheilds etc. and IMO Enrage rocks!

Is the Kensai's Kai ability really worth it?
Old 08-07-2002, 06:01 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
::shrugs:: To balance a Kensai's power they can't use armor. Mages can't use armor in the first place, so that's like one less restriction. Berserkers can use armor, but have other restrictions to counterbalance their power which stay in place.

Plus, a Kensai is just cool to begin with.. Closest thing to an elven bladesinger kit the game has... for now.... BWAHAHAHA!
::foreshadowing a custom kit, perhaps?::

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 04:17 PM   #3
Arwyn the Betrayer
Manshoon

On the other hand, there's this elven chainmail... ...
Arwyn the Betrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:52 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Most will vastly prefer to wear the Robe of Vecna. Kensai->Mages have better THACO and damage too, due to the Kensai's bonuses. This is important, since the Fighter class cannot level up anymore after dualling.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:36 PM   #5
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I actually prefer beserkers over Kensais. My evil half-orc beserker really kicks ass so I think the beserker mage combo would be very good although I've never tried it. Not being able to wear armour is to big a handicap for me although Kensai/mages would be able to use stoneskins and other similar spells to protect themselves but I still prefer the beserker as you said the enrage skill is excellent.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:30 AM   #6
Grindar Silvermane
Manshoon

Location: Temple of Tempus: The High Hall of Swords and Banners
Quote:
Originally posted by Zarr:
I actually prefer beserkers over Kensais. My evil half-orc beserker really kicks ass so I think the beserker mage combo would be very good although I've never tried it. Not being able to wear armour is to big a handicap for me although Kensai/mages would be able to use stoneskins and other similar spells to protect themselves but I still prefer the beserker as you said the enrage skill is excellent.
I too used to think the absence of armour on my character would make it impossible for me to survive any encounter, but playing a sorcerer in NWN has taught me different. No armour and hardly any ac improving items, just a helluva load of protective spells and no way I'm being killed. Combined with ring of regeneration and vampiric regeneration daggers, Vindu'ryn Silvermane kicks some major @ss.