Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-24-2002, 09:23 AM   #181
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Everyone Always looks at the bad and not the good. Like Magik said they concentrate only on the people that use guns illegally and not the majority of people that own guns that use them for recreation. good points magik
Old 05-24-2002, 09:41 AM   #182
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Understood. The point is if someone decides he wants to be dictator and the majority of people are with him... theres a relolution. When he gets to power and they decide they dont like it... they remove him. That is sort of what revolutions are for. How long ago did the French have their last revolt? How many guns are owned by the general public in France today??? Would I be right in saying.. not many??? sort of keeps the people from revolting if they have to fight tanks with butcher knives.

One thing I didnt mention about the US Constitution and Bill of Rights is that Jefferson thought the only way either of them would work properly is if the people were God fearing men of respect.

Well, there is no respect for anything in the States anymore, least of all human life. Race crimes have always exsisted and Im afraid they always will. Unfortunately some people will kill other people just because they are the wrong color and are in the wrong neighborhood. Or their car is too nice and the victim took a wrong turn and ended up in the wrong neighborhood.

In case youve never heard of the American Civil War look it up. It was more than a hundred years ago. but thats the last one I can think of.

I could ask when was the last time Denmark had a revolution but Im not going to waste my time. Does Denmark have a king??? I believe the answer is yes. Do the taxpayers pay all the Kings bills like the English had to when Buckingham palace burned and did $900 million worth of damage??? The queen makes something in the order of $25,000 per second. Let her pay her own bills. Thatd be enough to make me want to revolt. Its her house, let her pay for it.

I understand where youre coming from though. Psycos with guns arent a good thing. Power freaks arent a good thing either. Unfortunately there seems to be no good middle ground.

Id rather have mine than not have it. Like it or not its my Constitutional right to own it. And the Constitution didnt say what kind I could have. At least I know why they put that part in there. It may never do me any good but I know why. Most people who are on one side or the other dont even KNOW why they have the right to possess firearms. TYRANNY.

Nuff said.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:45 AM   #183
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Quote:
Generally arming the public with anything beyond stunguns, mace and such is a bad idea. ANYONE could get drunk and unleash their weapons on the rest of the public, the "fighting the dictators!" thing is just too far out an argument to help anything, that's my honest opinion. When in the last 100 years have the american population had to fight a "dictator" and win back their country?
Well the US shows that this is not true, 400,000,000 legally owned firearms, and there is not a wave of drunken gunfire sweeping the nation. I know some times the news media makes it sound bad, but on the whole, there is actually little chance of an average person in this country of ever seeing a gun fight during their life...unless they join the military and even then the odds are against it.

Why does no one pay attention to the vast number of people who own guns and do nothing illegal and only use them for recreation, hunting or self defense? These people seem to count for nothing and only the small minority of the people who illegally use guns seem to be all important.
MagiK, I DO pay attention to those who use them correctly. But I think that the safety of some is more important than others having fun, and I'm pretty damn sure that someone HAS already gotten drunk and shot someone else.[/QUOTE]Hmm a case of the good of the many being out weighed by the good for the few here I think... But...yeah some drunken idjits have done just that but again it is very very much the exception and not the rule. I realize you don't like firearms and I can respect that, there just seems to be this philosophical gulf between us. Ahh well thats what makes the world go round.

I don't have the numbers handy but there are quite a few instances each year where people successfully defend themselves from attackers using firearms, where as they may not have lived had they had to rely on knives or baseball bats.

I think the Quote I like for this is "God Made all men equal, and Sam Colt just made sure." refering to an early American gun maker.

[ 05-24-2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-24-2002, 09:56 AM   #184
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Quote:
Generally arming the public with anything beyond stunguns, mace and such is a bad idea. ANYONE could get drunk and unleash their weapons on the rest of the public, the "fighting the dictators!" thing is just too far out an argument to help anything, that's my honest opinion. When in the last 100 years have the american population had to fight a "dictator" and win back their country?
Well the US shows that this is not true, 400,000,000 legally owned firearms, and there is not a wave of drunken gunfire sweeping the nation. I know some times the news media makes it sound bad, but on the whole, there is actually little chance of an average person in this country of ever seeing a gun fight during their life...unless they join the military and even then the odds are against it.

Why does no one pay attention to the vast number of people who own guns and do nothing illegal and only use them for recreation, hunting or self defense? These people seem to count for nothing and only the small minority of the people who illegally use guns seem to be all important.
MagiK, I DO pay attention to those who use them correctly. But I think that the safety of some is more important than others having fun, and I'm pretty damn sure that someone HAS already gotten drunk and shot someone else.[/QUOTE]Hmm a case of the good of the many being out weighed by the good for the few here I think... But...yeah some drunken idjits have done just that but again it is very very much the exception and not the rule. I realize you don't like firearms and I can respect that, there just seems to be this philosophical gulf between us. Ahh well thats what makes the world go round.

I don't have the numbers handy but there are quite a few instances each year where people successfully defend themselves from attackers using firearms, where as they may not have lived had they had to rely on knives or baseball bats.

I think the Quote I like for this is "God Made all men equal, and Sam Colt just made sure." refering to an early American gun maker.
[/QUOTE]Too true. If everyone who owned a gun went out and shot someone else the population of the United States would some where in the neighborhood of..... 3 and theyd probably be brothers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cringing at the thought of that.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:00 AM   #185
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Earthdog:
Quote:
If everyone who owned a gun went out and shot someone else the population of the United States would some where in the neighborhood of..... 3 and theyd probably be brothers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cringing at the thought of that.
LOL what a thought!

Old 05-24-2002, 10:02 AM   #186
MagiK

People! Don't forget to go to page one of this thread and vote, if you haven't already! Please [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2002, 10:06 AM   #187
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:

I could ask when was the last time Denmark had a revolution but Im not going to waste my time. Does Denmark have a king??? I believe the answer is yes. Do the taxpayers pay all the Kings bills like the English had to when Buckingham palace burned and did $900 million worth of damage??? The queen makes something in the order of $25,000 per second. Let her pay her own bills. Thatd be enough to make me want to revolt. Its her house, let her pay for it.

Nuff said.
An interesting grasp of the British Constitution and British history. The Queen pays her own bills from the wages that we pay her. Buckingham Palace never burnt down.

[ 05-24-2002, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-24-2002, 10:09 AM   #188
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

This is just a reminder. My fellow GD mods have already stated that if this thread is to remain open, then the all contributors MUST refrain from personal attacks. So far you have (largely) done so recently for which you are to be congratulated. This is a serious and emotive subject which deserves proper consideration.

One other point, please learn to avoid nested quotes. There is a preview function available so you can see the effect of editing previous posts you are quoting - USE IT

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-24-2002, 10:26 AM   #189
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Ok I realise that Buckingham palace burned and not to the ground. ONE wing burned doing $900 million worth of damage. I thought it was common knowledge and didnt need to be stated. Seems to me like I heard they passed an EXTRA tax to pay for the damage. I saw some of the Debate when they politicians were argueing about who should pay for it. My wife is Australian and we were discussing the fire the other day. Ok she could be wrong as well. Did the English Parlaiment pass an extra tax to cover the damages?? If so, it sure sounds to me like the Queen didnt pay for it herself. If they didnt pass an extra tax then I apologise for my ignorance.

Fill me in. Youre there and Im not.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:41 AM   #190
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
This is just a reminder. My fellow GD mods have already stated that if this thread is to remain open, then the all contributors MUST refrain from personal attacks. So far you have (largely) done so recently for which you are to be congratulated. This is a serious and emotive subject which deserves proper consideration.

One other point, please learn to avoid nested quotes. There is a preview function available so you can see the effect of editing previous posts you are quoting - USE IT
Ok since this has come up a couple of times..I need to ask...what exactly does "nested quotes" consist of? I think I know but I would like to know for sure.