Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2001, 10:06 AM   #31
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

My only true experience with the clash between religion and fantasy books/games is that my sister and brother-in-law, speak down to me for playing BGII and reading Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance books. It is the teachings of their church (Baptist) that these are 'evil' and will condemn you to a life in hell
They also will not allow my nephew to read the Harry Potter books b/c of the witchcraft and wizardry. But how ironic is it that they allowed him to see the DnD movie?

And I can say in complete faith that Jesus was not the son of God. Sorry CB, I just couldn't resist

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-09-2001, 11:22 AM   #32
Absynthe

First, to CloudBringer and Yorick, having read so many posts by both of you on various subjects I want you to know that I have enormous respect for both of you as intelligent, caring people. It is obvious that Christianity is a very positive force in both of your lives. Would that that were true all over...

About seven years ago, I worked at a firm as a data analyst. I had been there about three years and risen rapidly from a temporary worker to an assistant to the v.p. of sales. I have always taken pains to keep my personal life/views away from my work. One day I was overheard on a phone call to a close friend. we were discussing a D&D campaign we were playing at the time. After a bit, the discussion turned to religion. My friend and I are both Pagans, our wives are both Catholics. We chatted for a bit, and then rang off.
Within a few days, I was called into my bosses office. He wanted to know if there was some "trouble" in my life. I told him everything was alright and asked if there was some problem with my work. There wasn't, he said, he was just "concerned for me". I blew it off, figuring it was no big deal.
Within a week, religious tracts began appearing on my desk, accompanied by notes telling me to repent before I ended up in hell. The final straw was a note damning me for turning my wife from the right path.
I met with the HR manager and told her what was occuring. We decided that the best way to resolve things was for me to talk to the people who were leaving the notes. I couldn't in good conscience create a big mess out of things based on the ignorance of a few people. After I met with the overzealous bunch, things got better, insofar as I was left alone. However, the advancement abruptly stopped, and I was re-assigned to a dead-end job. After about six months of that, I left.
Yorick, i thimk you were right in saying that the hysteria is in large part cultural; for all of the Politically Correct posturings that we Americans put on, there is the kind of lynch-mob mentality buried just under the skin that makes you shiver to think of it.
So anyway, theres my two cents, and my little secret to boot.

Old 04-09-2001, 11:23 AM   #33
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:

And I can say in complete faith that Jesus was not the son of God. Sorry CB, I just couldn't resist

Moridin...doesn't change my beliefs one whit...sorry! And let me put it this way...If you are right and there is no afterlife with Christ, then what harm is there in doing good for others as that's the only legacy available to me? If death is final...then nothing lost..right?

But if I'm right? When I face judgement, I'll be darned glad of having lived my life in as Christian a way as I am able!
Sorry, Moridin...couldn't resist!

Cloudy, stepping out of the way now

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 04-09-2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 11:34 AM   #34
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Moridin...doesn't change my beliefs one whit...sorry! And let me put it this way...If you are right and there is no afterlife with Christ, then what harm is there in doing good for others as that's the only legacy available to? If death is final...then nothing lost..right?

But if I'm right? When I face judgement, I'll be darned glad of having lived my life in as Christian a way as I am able!
Sorry, Moridin...couldn't resist!

Cloudy, stepping out of the way now

Oh I totally agree with you CB (I was j/k with the comment, but had to put it as a true atheist). I do not believe in an afterlife, but still try to live my life in a way that will help others and future generations.
I also believe that if I am wrong and there is an afterlife I will just repent all my sins on my deathbed

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-09-2001, 11:41 AM   #35
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Absynthe,

I know full well that there are nutcases out there in any religion or 'philosophy' and I feel bad for people like you when they are harrassed. Faith cannot be taught, it is from within...but yes, you need the information to find it in the beginning. Still, I don't approve of scare tactics at all and think you had every right to be displeased with that treatment!

And just to prove a point...my own mother and brother were recruited and brainwashed by a 'pseudo Christian' cult. One of those 'fire and brimstone' literal-fundamentalist extreme types that couldn't get my whole family (they hate me for it...gee I'm flattered!)so they separated my mother and brother from us. Tore my extended family asunder. I have had no communication directly with either mother or brother in almost 12 yrs. ( I have indirect sources but few and far btwn..sigh) So, nobody has to tell me what trouble such groups are.

And please, everyone... I am not going to give any more on this one...it is personal and extremely painful and took a large part of my life to resolve. I have mentioned it once before, but I do so here by way of showing that I am less than fanatic and not likely to throw anything at anyone...pamphlets or otherwise. Just my honest answers to what I believe- that by living as an example of what Christianity is and should be, maybe I'll make a difference to someone somewhere...and I know that I have along the way..that's a very warm and reassuring feeling. Just to help one soul in need makes all the difference. Thanks for listening to me ramble, btw. And boy do I do alot of rambling around here.

Cloudbringer, the one and only

------------------

Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever

Old 04-09-2001, 11:44 AM   #36
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Oh I totally agree with you CB (I was j/k with the comment, but had to put it as a true atheist). I do not believe in an afterlife, but still try to live my life in a way that will help others and future generations.
I also believe that if I am wrong and there is an afterlife I will just repent all my sins on my deathbed

Sweet Moridin... then I pray you have a long and lingering death... (you are really baiting me today, Moridin! What is in the coffee out your way!? LOL )

------------------

Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever

Old 04-09-2001, 11:55 AM   #37
Absynthe

Cloudy, you are exactly the kind of person that keeps me from despair over the fate of humanity. I think this discussion points up a a pretty fundamental question we all must face; good vs. evil. Both of these come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and names. It's up to us to choose what's right and not be led astray by labels.

Old 04-09-2001, 12:07 PM   #38
Sir_Tainly

Just dropping my 2 penneth,

Our local Deaconess just to run a games evening on a Tuesday night, and since I knew her, and some of the people going from my confirmation classes. I was invited along, and was asked to bring a friend to increase the numbers. Well eventually it was our turn to take a game, and we took the tame family game "Heroquest" by Milton Bradley. Well we all played it and some folks thought it was silly, but we managed a complete game. Next thing I hear my mother has been asked to tell us either not to go again, or at least not to bring a "satanic" game. We voted with our feet.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-09-2001, 12:13 PM   #39
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Cloudy, you are exactly the kind of person that keeps me from despair over the fate of humanity. I think this discussion points up a a pretty fundamental question we all must face; good vs. evil. Both of these come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and names. It's up to us to choose what's right and not be led astray by labels.
Absynthe, that's a very powerful compliment. Thank you. (Ziroc, got any smileys for "humbled. yet pleased" expression? )

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever

Old 04-09-2001, 12:32 PM   #40
Charlie
Lord Ao

Strange people huh. I went into my local D&D shop and asked for a bible, you shoulda seen the looks I got........like I was a dreaded christian or something.

------------------
One love, peace.