Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 08-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Icewind Dale problem

I had been playing IWD for a while now - not Heart of Winter - and everything was going fine, game runs like a dream. Anyway, I got curious and installed Heart of Winter. No big deal at first, but when I started to explore what the expansion had to offer, and found some new “features” that I didn’t want to deal with right now, or at least until the main game was completed. I didn’t know what to do, so I copied the game with files in tact to a shortcut on the desktop. I went to the START menu and uninstalled the game. Now, when I try to reinstall the game, I get an error message. I can’t “install”, it just has the option for playing. And using the copied folder, I get that same message. I got bold enough to try to delete that new-copied folder but get a message that deletion might effect the operation of other files on my computer. Does anyone have any idea how I can play my game again? I worked very hard on those characters; I don’t want to lose them now! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Gavindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Icewind Dale problem

Keep the copied folder exactly where it is and don't touch it. You need to either use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to uninstall the game--this will remove the registry entries since it won't find the main files you moved (the easy method) or you'll have to remove the registry entries yourself (the "hard" method--really not hard, just time-consuming). Once you have done this, you may reinstall the game...but reinstall it to a different directory than before, like C:\Icewind Dale.

You should be able to move your characters over easily; the worst that might happen will be some text mistakes if you have any HoW items or spells.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Re: Icewind Dale problem

Hey, thanks for the help! I just tried to uninstall Icewind Dale by going to the control panel and add/remove programs... but nothing happens. The Icewind Dale listing stays right where it is, nothing happens. How does the "hard" method work? As for text errors, all I did with HoW is talk to the previously inaccessible townspeople in Kuldahar (sp?). Give me a heads up when you have the time. Thanks again!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

For the hard method, you just go to Start > Run > and type either "regedit" or "regedt32", which will open the registry for your computer. Be careful here--you can trash your computer if you make a mistake.

All you will be doing, though, is going to Edit > Find > and type in "icewind". Every time you find a reference to it, delete it then hit the F3 key to go to the next listing.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Shadow Stranger

"I went to the START menu and uninstalled the game."
Does that mean you used the Control Panel or does it mean you used Windows Explorer?
Normally, if there is a copy of the game where it was last installed, uninstallation should happen.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I realize this is a bit too old, but...

There is another easy way: instead of running Autorun from the CD, simply explore the CD folder and run the Setup.exe (or maybe it's Install.exe) file... This should go to installation immediately and allow you to reinstall the game.

(The old registry files should be overwritten, so you can re-uninstall it normally after that).
Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Gavindale
The Magister

Hey guys, thanks for the info, I went and did what ZFR said, and the game installed fine... until my computer crashed with around 10% to go to completely install. I can play (for the time being, I'm not sure if the game will get to the point where the interrupted installation where there will be an error screen). Anyway, I tried to uninstall the game, and I keep getting a message about how the uninstall file was not installed, or the game data was corrupted. It won’t uninstall. Like I said, I can play for now, but I want to make sure the expansion pack wasn’t installed because I would rather play the regular game, then install the expansion. Anyway, if anyone can help, please do. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

You need to manually delete the IWD files (back up the Saves if you want). Then run a registry cleaner like CCleaner ( http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download ) to remove the orphaned IWD Registry entries (CCleaner is free). Now re-install the game. Re-introduce your Saves and you should be good to go. You'll also need to re-install any mods you may have been using.

Disclaimer: Registry cleaners can possibly mess up your PC. I have never had a problem with CCleaner, but YMMV. Cleaning the Registry is only neccessary if you are getting a "Icewind Dale is already installed" error when trying to install it.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

If your installation started ok, then you should not have to resort to cleaning registry.

Since it stops installing with 10% left, it looks like the cd is scratched/damaged.

To check, try copying all the files from cd to your hard drive. If you can't do it, it would mean that it is indeed a problem with a scratched cd.

There are some cd repair kits that worked for many of my cd's..
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
You need to manually delete the IWD files (back up the Saves if you want). Then run a registry cleaner like CCleaner ( http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download ) to remove the orphaned IWD Registry entries (CCleaner is free). Now re-install the game. Re-introduce your Saves and you should be good to go. You'll also need to re-install any mods you may have been using.

Disclaimer: Registry cleaners can possibly mess up your PC. I have never had a problem with CCleaner, but YMMV. Cleaning the Registry is only neccessary if you are getting a "Icewind Dale is already installed" error when trying to install it.
I second his recommendation of CCleaner. It is the one I use both at work and at home.