Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
Phoonzang
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If I switch over a bard to another class, would she still be able to use instruments? If she can, what level should I changer her at?
Phoonzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 03:27 PM   #2
Tholarion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah you can, Music is just frozen at the ability you were at, and instruments still have level prerequisites. I suppose it would be pretty powerful just to be able to haste consistently before switching over at an earlier level.

-FF
Tholarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 04:02 PM   #3
Phoonzang
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Any idea off hand what level that is? Its ok to spoil me with locations of items and stuff. I've played through the game once before but I just breezed through it and didnt pay much attention to anything.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:46 PM   #4
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Depends on which instruments you want to be able to play. But I think that at 18th the bard can play every one in the game (with a high music skill too).
Old 09-09-2002, 11:11 PM   #5
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Maybe once you get to Arnika, just boost Music w/ Viola d'Amore over and over again. Get your music to 75 and it should be enough.

I think that you can use any instrument at character level 18 not just bard level 18. I'm not sure though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:22 AM   #6
otter
Elminster

Nope. True Moose, you sit corrected: Bard level determines ability to play.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:00 AM   #7
Phoonzang
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was thinking of changing my bard into a ninja or samurai once she reaches 18. What do you guys think?
Old 09-10-2002, 10:42 AM   #8
Rhea
Drow Warrior

Since the highest level bard instrument requires a level 18 bard, any time after that is a good time to switch.

I often switch my bards to fighter or rogue at Level 19. Either one works like a charm. Switching them to hybrid fighters isn't a very good deal unless you just want the hybrid's fighting capabilities, because it takes too many more levels to get even minimal magic for the hybrids. OTOH, I suppose they could be a capable ninja or whatever, but you likely wouldn't be able to fully develop them before the end of the game.

Be aware, however, that like every other skill the Bard's ability to use instruments is also tied to his/her level. In other words, a Level 25 Bard and a Level 18 Bard playing the same instrument may get different results.

Also, Bards can become competent melee fighters without class changing. I had a Gnome Bard in one game that was hell on wheels with a sword. She'd play instruments for ranged, then whack the hell out of the opposition in close combat (and in the front line, too).

[ 09-10-2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Rhea ]
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:51 AM   #9
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Definitely, if you have no one else you've got the Bloodlust designated for, the bard is a great choice to get it. Yes it cursed, but it essentially lets the bard beserk attack like a fighter and the bard can use music as ranged attacks. I had a female mook bard in one game that I kept purely a Bard and she was just a beast with bloodlust - for like 3/4 of the game, hands down, she was outfighting everyone else, I had her use that and a shield. Plus the whole party was hasted alot, and the # of attacks and swings when in that state, plus the huge initiative bonus bloodlust has - well let's just say she swung quite early and often

I agree with Rhea, fighter or rogue is the way to go if you want to multiclass; Sam/Nin both take alot longer to build up, and one reason to take those classes is for their magic, which you would barely use if you switched over to one at level 18 (would be 5 more levels until they got access to even level 1 spells). So you'd pay more exp too because those classes can use magic and it's pretty much not needed as you'd have been a bard and have music.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:40 PM   #10
otter
Elminster

one of the chars in most of my smaller parties has been a Bard-as-Haster, who i've usually switched with 8 Bard levels; if she's a Felpurr (for the Speed) i switch to Sam, her magic never gets amazing, but someone has to wield Muramasa...Or if she's a Mook, she's in the game to Fight with Giant's Sword as soon as she can handle the Drums. The latter sometimes waits for 11 Bard levels, and i've run comparisons and found that a Sam or Mook Fighter will do much more damage with multishot Xbows and their designated weapon than a Bard of equal level with instruments and even Bloodlust. (it's also handy sometimes to control whether you berserk)
But if you're otherwise way light on magic, then it does make sense to go for all the instruments, in which case it makes more sense to go 'pure' fighter or rogue.
Ninja makes sense for continuing the thievery development, but only if you switch fairly young (with 8 or 11 Bard levels), and for me Soul Shield and Haste are the reasons to be a Bard at all, so 8 is usually enough. Ninja development is also harder in a 'full' party, so i reserve this mostly for 4-and-under.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote