Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 05-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #11
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
Yeah, I read that, the problem is, shipping a NWN's based title w/out the DM Client sucks.
Yep true, it sucks.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Okay, I am looking for the thread on Bioware's website for NeverWinter Nights 2 now about the "missing DM Client" and not having any luck finding it. Been telling a few gamers I know (one that came to the store, another who works across the hall at Electronics Boutique Games Canada) about this new revelation. It will definitely rewrite my purchasing priorities in the next few months. I know I have to upgrade (and overhaul) my computer in order to get the latest games working on it, but if NWN 2 won't be supported by those whom I depend on for the majority of my enjoyment, then I may not be slapping down my $100CDN (or however much it will cost) any time too soon. At this rate, I may be satisfied staying with NeverWinter Nights as it is. Sure, I may WANT to get NWN 2, but without community support, it would just stay in my shelf of games I never play. And that shelf has enough really excellent games there already...

(in the dust shelf)
Mistmare
Homeworld: Cataclysm **
Dungeon Keeper Gold
Revenent **
Throne Of Darkness
Earth 2150: The Moon **
Septerra
Need For Speed: Unleashed
Need For Speed: Unleashed 2
Midnight Club II
Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde **
and quite a few others
(** = unopened)

I do, however, like this quote
Quote:
__________________________________________________ _________
Quote: Feargus Urquhart Posted: Friday, 12 May 2006 12:14AM

Page Link: Click Here

On the subject of the DM client I did want to say a couple of things:

1) We at Obsidian know the importance of the DM client as it relates to the running of PWs. We want PWs to exist for NWN2, so we need to support the DM client.

2) We are going to be talking over the next couple of weeks to see what we will have at launch and when we will have a more final roadmap when it comes to the complete DM Client.

I do apologize for this being the way the information got to all of you about the DM Client, it's not what we intended. I was planning to have us make an announcement in the next few weeks about it, after we had gotten some more of our planning done.
[ 05-12-2006, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I predict they will delay the game to Christmas, and the DM Client will be in.

(A Sept Release is odd)--Its SO close to the biggest buying season, its too hard to resist. Plus, the delay will allow them to finish the DM Client.

I'll support it as long as a DM client is going to be made.

(Check NWN2 Forums gen con area)

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #14
Chewbacca
Zartan

WTF??? More proof atari doesn't care to listen to ALL their customers. More proof that Devs need to grow some balls when it comes the dealing with idiotic publishers. How many bad/buggy D&D games is it gonna take to stop the madness?

If the game ships with no DM client, I'll not buy it til it has one.

While I enjoy single player content alot, my most memorable NWN moments have been DM'd games, both as a player and a DM.

*SIGH*
Old 05-12-2006, 06:19 PM   #15
SHO-VA
Elite Waterdeep Guard

NWN2 tastes like new coke..

we'll just have to see if that is true or not..

untill then, and even after then, we do have NWN, and great community content to work with..
Old 05-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #16
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Welcome SHO-VA, hope you enjoy your stay. It's the same old song and dance Chewy. They care about the sales, and getting the money as soon as possible.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #17
SHO-VA
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for the Welcome [img]smile.gif[/img]

I agree with that robertthebard..

atleast they are being consistant on 2 aspects.

1, they keep cutting features that were in NWN, or we hinted at being in NWN2,

and 2, they keep telling us to wait..
Old 05-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'd much rather wait, and get a whole game.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I honestly don't care if they delay it till the middle of next year, as long as it:

1. works out of the box
2. has fundamentals like the DM Client which are essential for PW and online roleplay.

KOTOR 2 was a great story but was spoiled for me by a number of bugs (thankfully I didn't have as many as other people had) and by a rushed storyline and incomplete quests. Which was even more annoying as it had the potential to be even better than KOTOR1.

I know that revenue targets drive company behaviours these days (as hitting revenue targets are also related to bonuses) but I hope Atari aren't doing a LucasArts and pressing for a Christmas release if the game's not ready. And if Obsidian are willing to release a substandard product then they deserve to go out of business. There's only so much that the customer will accept before you lose all your brand equity.

I understand and support the need to reach out to the singleplayer market with a great singleplayer game, but they shouldn't do that at the cost of an already established (and won over) multiplayer market segment. It's the MP and gamebuilding aspect which will extend NWN2's product life cycle. Obsidian and Atari can always release fantastic singleplayer expansions to service for the singleplayer market in the future.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Since my exams are done, I popped over to the Bio forums to check out those threads, as well as check out the Vault. From what I can see, the DM client will still be in the game, but may not ship with the game? I don't see that as a huge problem if that's the case. It gives them more time to get it right.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote