Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
eternal mat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hey, just want to know is directX 9 compatible with wizards and warriors or is it just directX 7. I started up W&W just then and it was quite laggy, aswell i had some other programs going. LOOKING FORE A QUICK REPLY

[ 01-13-2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: eternal mat ]
Old 01-13-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi, eternal mat,

I'm no expert on the tech stuff and someone who does know more should be along soon but my guess is that DirectX 9 probably isn't compatible - this is an old game afterall. We had posters who were having difficulty running the game with DX 8.
Wait for a more techie reply, though.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:06 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

This is where Willow usually pops up and reminds me of how little I know...

Seems to me someone or another has gotten it to work with DX9. Have you looked through the Tech Tips thread for suggestions?

Are you currently using DX9? What is your screen resolution, hardware/software mode setting, memory, and driver version? What's your video card type? What else do you have running while you're playing W&W?

That should be enough for a start.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Welcome aboard.

I can only speak for WinXP, DX9 works just fine. Age dependent of thy machine of chaos, production may find thou lacking on a system of lesser being.

Common knowledge of the age of this game is ancient. However, it is a D3D game and will let you know real quick if thy resources are not readily available for consumption. So, turn off the other stuff, and if you still experience D3D lag, you can either upgrade, or go into the settings area and lighten the load on your 3D card, or go software mode if you have to.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:01 AM   #5
macoati
Manshoon

Welcome eternal mat,

I've been running XP with DX 9 with absolutely no problems. The machine I'm using is and Intel P3 866, 256mb Ram, nvidia GeForce vid card (don't remember the specifics but it's got 128mb Ram on board). I have the newest drivers for the machine at all levels (took some time but I got them [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

Please post your computer's specifics and maybe we'll (well, definitely!) we'll get you an answer that works!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #6
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Yea...I have been running W&W on Windows XP (Home and Professional) and Direct 7,8, and 9 without any problems at all...but it would help others with your answer if you put up a little more info on your comp...
Old 01-14-2004, 12:34 PM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

There shouldn't be any problems using DirectX 9. It still has full support for Direct3D 7 so W&W and other Dx7 compatible games should run just fine. If you do encounter problems it is my opinion that it is not as much a Directx-W&W incompatible error as it is a Directx-video driver incompatibility problem. Therefore make sure that you have Dx9 compatible video drivers installed.

[ 01-14-2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #8
eternal mat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

bungleau,

Are you currently using DX9? yes, havn't found any problems yet.

What is your screen resolution, 600 x 800
hardware/software mode setting, ~not sure~
memory, and driver version? ~not sure~
What's your video card type? ~not sure~
What else do you have running while you're playing W&W? I dont have anything running like word, but the little program thingo's down the bottom right.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:12 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by eternal mat:
bungleau,

Are you currently using DX9? yes, havn't found any problems yet.

What is your screen resolution, 600 x 800
hardware/software mode setting, ~not sure~
memory, and driver version? ~not sure~
What's your video card type? ~not sure~
What else do you have running while you're playing W&W? I dont have anything running like word, but the little program thingo's down the bottom right.
Some of the answers to these things (memory, driver version, card type) can come from running DXDIAG, the DirectX diagnostic tool. Others (hardware/software setting) can come from running the game and going into the Options menu to look at your Graphics options. The final answers (other applications) can come from bringing up task manager (via ctrl-alt-del) to see what other applications are running.

Basically, you want as little as possible going on.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:04 PM   #10
eternal mat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

the game seems to be running pretty good so theres really nothing to worry about. thanks