Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 06:50 AM   #1
darkmage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Druids & Clerics. One Offensive and one Defensive. If you decided to make a party and can only take one, which would you choose and why?

I, prefer a Druid due to the holding spells, summons and more summons ...
darkmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Only one?

Cleric. Better party protection spells, turn undead.

But I've only run one party without both (including multi and dual class combinations).
Old 06-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I perfer Druid. Better offensive spells, and can eaisily be made impervious to slashing damage by way of the water elemental making him an unstopable force of nature, and certain item. Fun!Fun! Fun!

Not taking anything away from the cleric as I like them both as the cleric as some nice offensive tricks as well. I just like playing with a druid more.

[ 06-07-2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

I like those druid capabilities as well. That's why I usually have both.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Take one high-level druid, one potion of invisibility, and one casting of Static Charge, then mix in some enemies. *zzt* They will stand there and get electrocuted without moving. [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]

Besides, the druid gets to summon better creatures, which is very useful in HoF mode. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

darkmage,

Only one, huh. Hmmmm... Hate to say no to the Druid (so much fun!); but I think I'm going to side with Aerich on this one and say Cleric. The Bless, Prayer, Chant, and Recitation spell suite is just too valuable to trade in.

If you are doing HoW also, then I'd recommend a DC Fighter(12 or 13)/Cleric or a Cleric(12)/Fighter, both builds with 5 PP in Mace and 3 PP in Missile weapons (Sling). (Just make sure your Cleric abilities are active when you hit B.I. in HoW.)

Better to take both. I like to take TWO DC Clerics and a DC Druid.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 PM   #7
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I generally use clerics more than druids, probably because in my earlier gaming days my guys died a lot and resurection came in handy, and I can't break the habit. While I would take a cleric if there could only be one, the Cleric/Ranger takes the role of tank, cleric, AND druid. I would take one over a druid any day.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

Excellent suggestion, Marty4. I have a DC Ranger(12)/Cleric who functions as my back-up tank. He has a sufficient variety of Druid spells, and gobs of slots to use them. I am very pleased with this character, even though he does not have access to the SLVL 5+ Druidic spells.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I tend to use dual or multiclassed fighter/druid and ranger/clerics. [img]smile.gif[/img] THe combination gives great spell capability and both can serve as either front line or ranged weapon (bows and slings) fighters. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
NobleNick
Quintesson

Slings, you mean, Micah. I *wish* my C/R and F/C could do Bows...

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!