Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Default Creation of TSI by SSI Veterans

Greetings Ironworkers

No-one really posts news anymore around here, but I think this little piece will raise some curious interest, particularly if you're a veteran of the SSI Goldbox series of AD&D RPGs.

In short, a new company TSI (Tactical Simulations Interactive) has been formed by several ex-SSI employees, including programmer Dave Shelley, famous for his work on several Goldbox games. I'm sure there are a few players who remember "Dave's Challenge" fondly (or not so!) for example.

Their intention it seems is to create PC role-playing games set within the "Seven Dragon Saga", an in-house collectively worked upon Pen and Paper campaign. Their main website leads to a countdown for the moment (http://tsi-games.com/) but new information shouldn't be too far away!

It seems that with the success of Kickstarter and games with a distinctive old-school approach like Legend of Grimrock, Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, that smaller companies are sensing a market for these kinds of games. (finally!)

Here's a quote taken from the story as I saw it arose from RPGWatch:

“Tactical Simulations Interactive is a return to providing the player full control of their party, with a focus on creating immersive and unforgettable story experiences, exciting exploration, meaningful social/political choices, and robust tactical combat.”

Thus it sounds like the GoldBox AD&D style of game-play is going to finally be given a modern interpretation, which makes for an extremely fascinating turn of events. Who better to do it than those who helped forge it originally? As a gamer who first started a long romance with "Curse of the Azure Bonds" back in 1989 or so, I'm certainly looking forward to reading and hearing more in the future.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 08-23-2014 at 07:32 AM.
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: Creation of TSI by SSI Veterans

Sounds AWESOME!! (Dave's Challenge was insane!! almost cruel! ) but fun, none the less!

I just don't get Hasbro... they are SITTING on the DnD license when it comes to PC games.. or even consoles.. (I don't like the DnD MMO's) but come on Hasbro, let some single player games and limited multiplayer games get a license too! Seems like a waste to own the rights, and not to anything with them.

I mean, the DnD Novels have dwindled down to nothing it seems... used to have 1-3 a month years back, now it's like 1 every 2 months or so.. or less.. sucks...

Will keep a close eye on this... sound very cool.. (Thanks for letting me know in the Choc thread, I'd have missed it!)

Hope they would add an editor to it as well

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote