Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

Default European Union

Eep! I forgot about an essay I have to write this week about whether or not the EU's creation is a good or bad thing for world history (the world's history, not the subject). and I literally have no idea what to write about.
I think most of the people on here are European or Oceanic, so I can at least get some input. Pretty much, the only thing I can think of would be to argue it is a good thing because of the unified economic strength of the region and then I draw a blank after that.
I'm only asking for general topics or something here, I don't mind doing the research, I just need something to research and any help would be greatly appreciated! =D

Edit: It seems like an economic standpoint is at least a good start as the EU's ancestor was formed as an economic union...

Last edited by Kynaeus; 12-03-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Kynaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Default Re: European Union

That is one big topic and I hope I'm not too late trying to respond.

The key points are economic. The EU has:

1. benefited member states by allowing the free flow of goods within the EC (no internal tariffs) and so increasing internal trade and growth beyond what individual members could expect.

2. set a common tariff for imports and so simplified world access to a massive market. It has also eliminated many high tariffs once set by individual members.

3 by its unity obtained a larger voice in economic issues (and usually a liberal one) than individual states could hope for.

Against that is:

1. agricultural subsidies have created food surpluses and distorted world trade in agricultural goods (but the EC is not the only guilty party).

2 its size and need for consensus makes it slow to move.

Other arguable points are that it stabilised key European states post 1945. Its moves into social policy are either creating benefits for individuals or stifling innovation and making the labour market too rigid. Its economic strength has not been matched by political development.

There is much more but I'm going to stop there. Good luck with the essay.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

It has generated hideuos amounts of bureaucracy, but the unified currency is nice and useful.

I think one of the reasons for creating EU's first predecessor was to bind France and Germany so closely together they couldn't war anymore. This, at least, has worked.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Greasel View Post
It has generated hideuos amounts of bureaucracy, but the unified currency is nice and useful.
Mah, that's a stereotype. There is some truth to it, but it is blown out of proportions.

Last edited by Dreamer128; 12-04-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer128 View Post
Mah, that's a stereotype. There is some truth to it, but it is blown out of proportions.
But do you really want to tell you how much a banana can curve?

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

Thanks a lot guys, maybe I'll go the other way and say that overall it's not a great thing, with the only benefits having been free flow of people, goods and money throughout the EU?
Thanks a lot for the help again!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvon View Post
But do you really want to tell you how much a banana can curve?
Every government in the world comes up with the occasional silly law, although the 'curved banana' thing was actually quite well motivated.
Kynaeus: don't forget greatly enhancing consumers rights, creating large numbers of new jobs, joined efforts to stop crime and illegal immigration and to protect the enviroment, enhancing democracy in Eastern Europe (and other countries in the region), creating a level of stability that was never before seen in Europe and the list goes on and on. What kind of con's did you find?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynaeus View Post
Thanks a lot guys, maybe I'll go the other way and say that overall it's not a great thing, with the only benefits having been free flow of people, goods and money throughout the EU?
Thanks a lot for the help again!
Those benefits far outweigh the negatives imo. Anywhere in Europe I feel at home, the same way an American might feel at home in another state. I don't have to worry about visas when visiting other countries, and I can live and work there if I choose. Instantly we are granted sponsorship into Europe just by being born in one of the many countries. Italy, France, Spain, Ireland, England - all that diversity is there for us. I think it's a great thing in terms of what it's name implies, a union.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Check out "Democratic peace" theory, as well as Neo-liberal approach to politics. Perfect for the EU case and a perfect essay.

And yes, i am back.

Happy Hanukkah everyone.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

Thanks again guys, I overestimated the due date of this, so I think I'll probably just give a rough outline by the end of the week arguing the EU has fulfilled its main purpose - economic prosperity. This prosperity was seen by Europe as a whole, member countries, as well as the average citizen residing there.

and then argue further with economic figures and charts, etc. Not really sure what else I could talk about that doesn't relate to the economy, this should be good.