Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 09:23 PM   #11
Nerull
Lord Ao

I don't mind them showing the spelling bee (they should pay more attention to things like spelling, math, etc...see below). I just disagree with it being shown on the sports station (that's where they showed it here). Show it on regular television; unless they tackle or cross-check you if you get the word wrong, I really can't see how it get put on the sports station.

I was going to start another thread to mention this incident today, but this thread is heading in that direction, so I'll put it here. I was at the grocery store today, and they had a sale on Gatorade. They had 32oz bottles on sale, and the price on the sign stated "2 for $3, or $1.50 each" (the part about $1.50 each was in smaller print, to encourage you to get 2 bottles). It shouldn't take a genius to realize that $3.00 divided by 2 is $1.50, so there is no benefit for buying two bottles over one bottle. So I picked up one bottle, and walked with the few items I also had in my basket to the register. As the cashier was ringing it up, he stopped when he got to the Gatorade, and stated that I should get 2 bottles, since they are 2 for $3.00 and would then save money over the $1.50 per bottle for each one. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] I told him that they are the same price either way, and he told me with complete and total seriousness "no, they aren't". What then commenced was a two-minute argument where I had to convince him that the two prices were the same. I explained it at first using division ($3.00 / 2 = $1.50), then multiplication ($1.50 x 2 = $3.00). Finally, I had to resort to addition ($1.50 + $1.50 = $3.00) not once but twice to finally get him to see that the prices are the same either way.

And the funny thing about it is, the guy looked familiar to me. It wasn't until the way home that I placed him. I've seen him in the halls at the university I go to. He is a college student that had to pass the admission exams and SAT to get into college in the first place, and he can't figure out that $3.00 / 2 = $1.50?

I've spoken to people who own their own businesses, and they constantly complain about not being able to hire good help anymore. Now I see why. They definitely need to emphasize education in general. If it takes televising educational competitions, so be it.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 06-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #12
uss
20th Level Warrior

Wow, Nerull, that's just crazy! The most outrageous story I have is that 'Kõige parimad hinnad(Literally translated: Most best prices)' was written on a sign by a market, while it should've been 'Kõige paremad hinnad/Parimad hinnad(Literally translated: Most good prices/Best prices).' But then again, that's not too outrageous and that's the only story I have, so yeah. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #13
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
I told him that they are the same price either way, and he told me with complete and total seriousness "no, they aren't".
sigh some people..

[ 06-06-2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 06-06-2004, 02:42 AM   #14
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
Mind you, its not as overtly pansified as American football, which is just rugby for people who are to scared to go without armour. Even I could kick an American footballers arse.
Haha, yea ok

Yes, it is an issue for spelling in America, but I happen to recall either Dreamer or Donut posting a thread about how poorly people spelt in the Netherlands, too far back to remember clearly though. So clearly the problem is worldwide. I think a spelling contest is a good thing, it shows competition by having people show their knowledge of his or her language.

Nerull, about that, honestly I don't know if the guy you ran into really was illiterate in that area, or just lacked a lot of common sense.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:44 PM   #15
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

I like both spelling and violence
But spelling is more needed in every day life, so it's good that they have children in spelling competitions(so they can increase their vocabulary), but yes I have to agree, Dirty Meg, that competing for correct spelling is a little pathetic.
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 06-07-2004, 09:00 PM   #16
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

I know why don't they have Spelling Ice Hockey!!
All the violence and education you need right in your very own home.
Everytime you get a shot your team has to spell a word, if they get the spelling wrong, the other team gets a chance to spell it. If that other team gets it right they get a point.

Spelling Ice Hockey: Could there be anything more useful.

Heh heh

[ 06-07-2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Lauren ]
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 06-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #17
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

uhh Nerull, is that WITH taxes or without taxes? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2004, 06:35 PM   #18
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
Oh c'mon. Did you see that kid faint? Better than anything from the Stanley Cup Finals.
Yeah I seen that kid faint. I think I may have seen it on TSN highlights. Poor guy had to sit in a chair for the rest of the compition.

On a side note I seen nothing wrong with a spelling bee. I would imagine that alot of work goes in to the studing of words and there origin. And for these kids to have that kid of work ethic towards learning at a early age can only help them in the future.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #19
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
uhh Nerull, is that WITH taxes or without taxes? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Without taxes, so yes the tax effect might make a difference (depending on rounding, would be about a penny).

Oh, and I had someone today walk right by the elevators and ask me where the elevators were at...
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 06-09-2004, 01:44 AM   #20
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
Oh, and I had someone today walk right by the elevators and ask me where the elevators were at...
heh heh heh...how funny is that....weird [img]graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img]