Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 10:35 PM   #21
Lifetime
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Argus:
[qb]This is the only thing I could find on the situation:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapc...ops/index.html
[/Q UOTE]

Hm. Having read that report it looks like both christians and muslims are just fighting each other... no one engaged in general massacre.... but probably Yorick's info is more up to date.[/QB]

Or would we rather believe that Christians are being victimised rather than havinga part in the violence...
Just a thought, Fljotsdale. Violence has been simmering in that area for years. Even last Christmas there were reports of Christian/Muslim clashes and violence. Living in the region surrounded by Muslim countries, I only pray it doesnt spill over into Singapore. That could get ugly, really fast.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:38 PM   #22
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

If its true then I am certainly praying.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 12-07-2001, 09:33 AM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:

Or would we rather believe that Christians are being victimised rather than having a part in the violence....

Well the Indo Christians I know are about as likely to be violent as a lamb is likely to attack a pitt bull.

The two guys who were living here this week (gone home now) were from Medan. They had their church burnt down by arsonists. They were here to try and get finance to rebuild it.

If they retaliated and burnt down a Mosque it would be sheer suicide. Muslims vastly outnumber any other faith in Indonesia.

Aside from which, they hold to the teachings of Christ regarding nonagression.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-07-2001, 10:24 PM   #24
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

By CNN's Atika Shubert in Jakarta

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Indonesian Chief Security Minister, Bambang Yudhoyono, toured Central Sulawesi Wednesday to make an assessment of the conflict between Christians and Muslims in the area that has killed at least seven people and made thousands homeless in the last week.

However, his visit was marred by tensions among community leaders.

Religious leaders from the mainly Christian town of Tentena refused to go to the Muslim-controlled district capital of Poso to meet with Minister Yudhoyono.

"Last night a church - one of only 2 remaining churches in Poso - was burned down just 100 meters from where the police and government offices are," Reverend Arnold Tobondo told CNN from his offices in Tentena.

"How could we go there and be expected to feel safe?" he said.

"Instead, a helicopter is taking the minister around to see the devastation caused by these terrorist attacks. So that he can see the real facts, the real destruction."

During his meetings with community leaders and government officials, Minister Yudhoyono discussed a 6-month plan to restore security to the area involving the deployment of 2 battalions of security forces.

According to the minister, the first 2 months will be used to quell violence while the remaining 4 months will monitor reconciliation between the two sides.

Yudhoyono also promised to disarm rival militias and deport recruits brought from outside the area to fight.

Laskar Jihad
Religious violence in Poso has simmered for more than a year, killing hundreds. The violence follows a similar conflict in the neighboring Maluku islands that has killed thousands of people.

After a particularly brutal Christian militia attack last year, 2 military battalions were called in to restore order.

Last week, however, violence flared again. This time, Christian groups blame the arrival of Indonesia's largest Muslim militant group, the Laskar Jihad or Jihad Army.

The group doesn't deny the charge.

Laskar Jihad has already trained and sent hundreds to fight in the Maluku islands. They now openly campaign to send volunteers to fight in Poso.

The Laskar Jihad website offers a three page explanation for their Poso campaign as well as a list of their "victories" in the area.

"The oppression of Muslims is what is spurring Laskar Jihad to descend into Poso's conflict," the explanation reads. "Laskar Jihad openly declares a jihad."

"Muslims must know that the best solution to resolving the Poso conflict is only through jihad."

'Al-Qaeda Links'
Christian groups accuse Laskar Jihad of being a terrorist organization that receives training and funding from Osama bin Laden's Al-Qaeda group.

Church leaders say the group is carrying out a plan to "cleanse" all Christians from the Poso area in time for the Muslim holiday of Idul Fitri on December 16 marking the end of Ramadan.

U.S. officials have alluded to the possibility of Al-Qaeda cells in Indonesia but Indonesian officials say that no concrete evidence has been found.

Information from suspected Al-Qaeda suspects on trial in Spain last month indicated the existence of a terrorist training camp in Indonesia.

Police in Indonesia have denied any evidence of the camp.

Laskar Jihad founders admit to meeting with Al-Qaeda members but deny receiving any training or funding from the terrorist group.

I really hope that last bit of information proves to be incorrect.
Old 12-08-2001, 11:26 AM   #25
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Old 12-08-2001, 11:28 AM   #26
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

omg... cleanse...
Old 12-08-2001, 11:34 AM   #27
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

One of my students is a most beautiful Indonesian Christian young woman. So full of joy, sunlight, creative spark, encouragement, musical talent and love. To think of her smiling face being included amongst people this group wants to "cleanse" the area of, fills me with profound sorrow.

These aren't just faceless masses for me. But people like some of my students. I find any claims of Christian agression very hard to swallow when looking at all those I've met. They are exceptional ambassadors for their country and their faith.

This is awful.

I've recieved no further word. I've been checking with them, and there's been no word either way.

Old 12-08-2001, 11:44 AM   #28
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

The Inquisition was not just jews, it was anyone the "mother church" and her representatives had a beef with, they even started going after normal businesses if they didnt give enough in kickbacks, Royals were "encouraged" to buy "special dispensations" so that their sins would not count against them...was a dark dark chapter for the Roman Catholic church.

thanks for saying that... its why i hate the churchs so much... i studied this, but i forgot that.. hehehehe pay to redeem yourself of your sins... stupid.
Old 12-08-2001, 11:52 AM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:

thanks for saying that... its why i hate the churchs so much... i studied this, but i forgot that.. hehehehe pay to redeem yourself of your sins... stupid.

I agree.

Old 12-08-2001, 01:48 PM   #30
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by 250:
omg... cleanse...

Yeah, no kidding. This is definitely something worth keeping an eye on. I'm sorry that this effects you as much as it does. Me being a few thousand miles away, it is to imagine what you have to be prepared for everyday.

I actually did a google search on the Laskar Jihad and found quite a few websites. Tons of pictures of mass graves and like the article I posted said, they were kind of bragging about what they have accomplished so far. Sad. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]