Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Default POR: Door tricks

So, one thing I noticed when playing Pool of Radiance was that when you are in the city of Phlan, if you wander around at nite you cannot just go into most of the shops. The shops are closed and the doors lock at night. Sure you can break in but that leads to the city watch trying to kill you.

I was trying to figure out how to copy this in DC. I think we can copy this idea with the logic block changing open door walls to a locked door wall and some clever event setup (like a merchant screaming for help at night, and offering to sell/buy stuff during day). What I was unsure of, is does the wall changing allow for changing to different blockage, or does it only allow for open/unblocked?

Manikus, you know about the logic block. Do you know?

ST
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: POR: Door tricks

I haven't tested locked, but I recall Richard saying that it was only for blocked/unblocked. The best way to find out, though, is to give it a try. Make sure to let us know if it works.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

I guess then you'd have to set up the doors as locked, then do a wall open switch during daytime and return to wall locked at nite

ST
Old 08-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

You would probably want to do this event as a zone event.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Have you played around with the unblocked-blocked-commands, ST? I remember that I had problems with the blocked/unblocked-script. If I remember right, the unblocked-command mentioned in the helpfile did not work. I posted that back in Manikus' old Forum.
It could only be solved by re-setting the blocked wall to the starting conditions of the level.
Dinonykos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: POR: Door tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinonykos View Post
Have you played around with the unblocked-blocked-commands, ST? I remember that I had problems with the blocked/unblocked-script. If I remember right, the unblocked-command mentioned in the helpfile did not work. I posted that back in Manikus' old Forum.
It could only be solved by re-setting the blocked wall to the starting conditions of the level.
There is a turotial available at my website on how to do this. I've had some logic block epiphanies in your absence, Dinonykos. There is also one for changing combat icons for PCs/NPCs during runtime of the game.

I will doing some more on creating items that disappear from inventory after use, but I'm in finals for school at the moment and when I asked earlier, there didn't seem to be much (any) current demand for doing this.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
There is also one for changing combat icons for PCs/NPCs during runtime of the game.
This is something we should be able to do in combat. I dunno if the developers allowed logic block event to happen in combat (thru spell/item use, events can happen in mid-combat), but my thoughts with this are that you could have character icons with different frames representing:

a person changing into a were-wolf
a successful disarm making an icon have no weapon
an invisibility spell

and theres probably many more I can't think of at this time.

ST
Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Chapeau, Manikus, nice tutorial!
But it seems that I was right since you described only how to open a blockage. $Block,x,y,d=OpenBlk works, but I am sure that it doesn't work the other way round.

Yep, icon changing during combat would be brilliant...
Dinonykos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

If I understand correctly, the only thing you can do is change the wall blockage to open and then delete the ASL which returns it to its original blockage. I don't believe we can go from a locked door to a special key door or to a secret door, for example.

ST
Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
manikus
Jack Burton

All that CocoaSpud allowed was setting to unblocked from blocked (or whatever). cocoaSpud didn't foresee any designer wanting to put a wall back or use anything other than open the blockage.

So, using the tutorial method (which is the only one I know), you can switch between open and any one other type of status for the wall.