Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2002, 11:54 AM   #1
Vampire

Yeah, things like Baldurs Gate is what I'm looking for.
Does anyone know where to get the BG saga books?

This is really for Eternity [img]smile.gif[/img]
*that'll get some enthusiasm going [img]tongue.gif[/img] *

Any epic adventures, heart-warming tales, amazing stories, unforgettable legends?

I wanna know as well!

Thank you!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:56 AM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

This should be in the books forum.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]</p>
Old 01-17-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

As Morgeruat said, but I'll give my answer anyway.

I don't know about the BG books, but they're not so great anyhow.

As for other fantasy: I can't stress it enough, Terry Pratchett's Discworld-series comes highly recommended. Not very epic or heart-warming maybe, but you'll never be the same again after one of these. If you haven't read any of 'em, do so IMMEDIATELY!

Furthermore, I can recommend pretty much everything by Raymond E. Feist and Terry Goodkind, the Deathgate Cycle by Weis & Hickman and the Books of Memory, Sorrow and the something-or-other Sword (sorry, but my memory desparately needs fine-tuning) by Tad Williams.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: J'aran ]</p>
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:39 PM   #4
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

Avatar, how about some of the classics , like Fritz Lieber's Lankhmar books- Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser? Or James Branch Cabell's Jurgen? Or Roger Zealazny's Amber novels, or Gordon R. Dickson Dragon Knight books?

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Galadria1 ]</p>
Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:46 PM   #5
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Some good Forgotten Realms books: The Dark Elf trilogy. I LOVED those! I'm rereading them for the tenth time in one month or so!
Non-Forgotten-Realms: LotR (of course)
Wheel of Time
Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce
Discworld by Terry Pratchett
Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Redwall by Brian Jacques
many books by Ralf Isau (not sure if they've been translated yet though)
When I think of any more, I'll post here.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:49 PM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by J'aran:
As Morgeruat said, but I'll give my answer anyway.

I don't know about the BG books, but they're not so great anyhow.

As for other fantasy: I can't stress it enough, Terry Pratchett's Discworld-series comes highly recommended. Not very epic or heart-warming maybe, but you'll never be the same again after one of these. If you haven't read any of 'em, do so IMMEDIATELY!

Furthermore, I can recommend pretty much everything by Raymond E. Feist and Terry Goodkind, the Deathgate Cycle by Weis & Hickman and the Books of Memory, Sorrow and the something-or-other Sword (sorry, but my memory desparately needs fine-tuning) by Tad Williams.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: J'aran ]
<hr></blockquote>

I agree completely [img]smile.gif[/img]
Read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (first book is called 'Wizard's first rule') first, then Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga (Starting with 'Magician') folowed by Tad Williams' series called 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' (first book: The dragonbone chair (I think that was the title anyway))
And Terry Pratchett's Discworld books are a lot of fun to read, great humour. But those aren't very BG-like.

As to where you can get THOSE books, maybe Waterstones?

And, indeed, Roger Zelasny's Amber's are good as well (Get 'The Great Book of Amber if you want 'em all at once). And then there's Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, starting out with 'The eye of the world'.

And, finally, before I force myself to stop, if you haven't read the Lord of the Rings yet, do so NOW!

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:04 PM   #7
J'aran
Mephistopheles

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Legolas:
'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn'<hr></blockquote>

Ah, yea, that was it! Gotta make a mental note to do something about that memory of mine.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:52 PM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

someone mentioned Raymond Feist, I was kinda in a hurry before and could only chastise, not recommend, and I have to add in, read Fairy Tale, it's my favorite by him, magician is a close second for me. I really enjoy Terry Brooks, anything by R.A. Salvatore, not just his Forgotten Realms books, although they are great.

Legend of Huma and Kaz the minotaur by Richard Knaak, Elric of Melniborne, by Michael Moorcock, The Princess Bride by William Goldman (even better than the movie, which is truly great) and the dragonlance legends series 1 and 2 by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. among many others already mentioned by others.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:15 PM   #9
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

Ooh, and the Riddlemaster Trilogy by Patricia McKillip.
The Once and Future King by T.H. White
Watership Down and Maia by Richard Adams
The Incompleat Enchanter by Pratt and DeCamp
Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:18 AM   #10
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Lets see here i agree the lord of the ring, the wheel of time series, the sword of truth series, the owl knight series by Mercades Lenkey, The deathgate series, Crown of Stars series by Kate ELliot, the Saga of Recluce books by L.E. Modesitt J.R., The Harry Potter series (believe it or not), thoes are just the tip of the ice burge and all or most of the series have 500-1000pgs per novel.