Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 02:42 AM   #1
Guinness
The Magister

I know what the manual says and all that.... but i really don't see why they included this for 3rd Edition rules.

Previously, with all the race modifiers it was already producing very steriotypical characters. Nearly everyone was creating halfing thieves and gnome illusionist/thieves.

Now with favoured class..... I can see an entire legion of h/orc barbarians and assimar paladins (as can be seen in those parties posted in the thread somewhere here.....).

Looks like RP is gone and rather, lets just make the biggest and baddest of everything. SAD.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:50 AM   #2
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

I know what you mean, and I agree to a point. But I can also see the logic in having a favoured class. I mean, from a RP perspective (and a logical one), you're not likely to have a half-orc necromancer capable of casting 9th level spells. Physically and mentally, the half-orc is suited to being a barbarian or a fighter.

By having the favoured class, it just means that if a race chooses a non-favoured class, then it's second class is likely to be favoured. Kind of like being born into a family of carpenters. If you become lawyer, you're still likely to know some things about carpentry. I don't necessarily agree that barbarian should be the best and only favoured class for half-orcs, but what the hell.

Anyway, I'm no expert on D&D, but how many Aasimar are you expected to run into? I mean, how often are celestial beings going to think "Hey, I'd like to shag that human"? And how often will you get a Ghostwise Halfling Paladin in a party with half-orcs, dwarves and elves?

Role-play is important IMHO--I've got a female dwarven Druid in my party that I absolutely love--but I also think that some degree racial stereotyping makes sense in D&D and doesn't really hurt the overall game.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:34 AM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, "favored class" tends to follow the older rules. Most people would take a Dwarf for a fighter in 1st/2nd ed. However, FC only really matters if you plan on multiclassing.

As to why the lid came off in 3rd ed, I'm not sure. After all, how much of the rules any "real world" campaign follows has always been up to the DM.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 11:55 AM   #4
Rhea
Drow Warrior

From a RPing perspective, favored classes make sense to me. You wouldn't make an Elf a barbarian, and most of us use Elves for casters anyway. A Half-Orc doesn't make anything much but a tank. What the favored class DOES let you do is pick up levels in other classes without a penalty, instead of having to watch to make sure you don't get dinged for taking 4 levels in one class and one in another. You're not married to the favored classes.

I'm really enjoying it. Your mileage may vary.

[ 10-09-2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Rhea ]
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote