Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-10-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I'm a Dungeon Master. I'm preparing a PnP game in an oriental setting. Not green forests, castles, kings, crowns, longswords.. It's time (I like to surprise my players) for cutlass, desert, oasis, bazaars, sultans, emirs, harem etc. I'm looking for oriental character names and city names. I'll be happy if you can help me. Here is the list I found so far..

Haroun Al-Rashid
Omer Al-Jabbar
Mustapha
Muad'dib (from dune
Khalid
Habib
Al-ad'din
Sinbad
Habil El-Reshid
Kabil El-Reshid
Abd al-Hazrad
Jamil El-Kellezir
Ahmed Hassan
Hazret-il El Nuri
Jael
Abdul
Ahmad
Akbar
Fahid
Ali
Farun
Rashid
Leila
Shahrazad
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 08-10-2003, 08:00 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Jamal
Saeed
Kemal
Fouad
Fatimah
Yasmina
Old 08-10-2003, 08:08 AM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

make up something yourself!
You know what I do to create names for different fantasy settings?
I select an appropriate language (which would be Arab, Persian, Urdu or something else in your case) and pick up (or look up online) a dictionary.
Then I think up names appropriate for the characters (like Silverbeard Stoneaxe for on old Dwarf) and translate them. The last thing to do is now to lose some letters here and there to make the name sound smooth.

Example for smoothing:
I once designed a name for a wizard whose great power would be his walking stick. I came up with Arrow-cane (=He who bears a cane that shoots projectiles like arrows ) which I then narrowed down to "Arukan". Sounds original and nobody knows from what simple wordplay you got it.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:09 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
To make a long story short, check this, and do the same thing with cities, and you're set to go.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:13 AM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

What you described is nothing to do with an "oriental" setting. Oriental is far east (china, korea, japan etc.), the names and features described above are middle east, arab world.

[ 08-10-2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 08-10-2003, 09:24 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
What you described is nothing to do with an "oriental" setting. Oriental is far east, the names and features described above are middle east, arab world.
vaskez is right.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-10-2003, 09:34 AM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Hey johny this site is great thanks for help!

Vazkez, do you really understand what I'm talking about? I'm talkin about ali babba, palaces, cutlass, desert, sultans, emirs. Of course even in dark sun or dune; middle east and arab culture effects, influences western producers. Oriental is east, these features. If you're still in doubt search the meaning of the word "oriental". ok?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 08-10-2003, 09:44 AM   #8
andrewas
Harper

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary
Quote:
Main Entry: ori·en·tal
Pronunciation: "Or-E-'en-t&l, "or-
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 often capitalized : of, relating to, or situated in the Orient
2 a : of superior grade, luster, or value b : being corundum or sapphire but simulating another gem in color
3 often capitalized : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of Orientals
4 capitalized : of, relating to, or constituting the biogeographic region that includes Asia south and southeast of the Himalayas and the Malay Archipelago west of Wallace's line
Now my geography isnt the best, but I do believe that the area defined in definition 4 is significantly further east that the areas you are referring to.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:44 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
posted by zoltan:
----------------------
Vazkez, do you really understand what I'm talking about? I'm talkin about ali babba, palaces, cutlass, desert, sultans, emirs. Of course even in dark sun or dune; middle east and arab culture effects, influences western producers. Oriental is east, these features. If you're still in doubt search the meaning of the word "oriental". ok?
hey zoltan, oriental is the far east meaning china, korea, japan and such. what you are asking for is arabic names.

here is a small website for oriental names.
http://www.freeplayers.co.uk/print/p...ntalnames.html
sounds chinese right?

and if you want to know the meaning "oriental"

Quote:
from the website: http://www.bartleby.com/64/C006/007.html#ASIAN
--------------------------------------
Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. Both terms are rooted in geography rather than ethnicity, but where Asian is neutral, Oriental sounds outdated and to many people even offensive. 1
The usual objection to Oriental—meaning “of or situated in the East”—is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not usually made of other terms, such as Near Eastern and Middle Eastern, stemming from the same accident of geography that led the earliest European travelers eastward rather than westward into Asia. The real problem with Oriental is more likely that it comes freighted with connotations from an earlier era, when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires, fabulous cities, and mysterious customs. Such common expressions as “Oriental splendor” and “the inscrutable Orient” testify to the rich—and now generally offensive—associations that have attached to this term in previous centuries. 2
It is worth remembering, though, that Oriental is not an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. It is most objectionable in contemporary contexts and when used as a noun, as in the appointment of an Oriental to head the commission. In these cases Asian (or a more specific term such as Vietnamese, Korean, or Asian American, if appropriate) is the only acceptable term. But in certain historical contexts, or when its exotic connotations are integral to the topic, Oriental remains a useful term. 3
Asia is the largest of the continents with more than half the world’s population. Though strictly speaking any of the peoples indigenous to the continent can be termed Asian, in normal contexts this designation tends to be restricted to persons from East, South, and Southeast Asia. Indonesians and Filipinos are usually included under Asian as well, but not the Melanesians, Micronesians, and Polynesians of the central and southern Pacific Ocean, who are often known collectively as Pacific Islanders. The predominantly Muslim and Christian peoples of Southwest Asia and the former Soviet republics—including Turks, Arabs, Armenians, and Iranians—are usually designated Middle or Near Eastern rather than Asian. 4

this is based from the american heritage book of enlish usage. i should know since im a filipino and im considered oriental [img]smile.gif[/img] . cheers!

edit: you may be thinking about harems and muslims culture which may be true to some parts of asia but not all. and it is more defined and placed in the middle east or the arabic world.

[ 08-10-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-10-2003, 09:45 AM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
Hey johny this site is great thanks for help!

Of course I understand what you are talking about but it seems you don't understand that the general use of the word "oriental" is to describe things from the far east. For example in England, chinese people are called orientals. However the Oxford Dictionary definition is: Oriental: "of the Orient...."
Orient: "The East, the countries east of the Mediterranean, especially East Asia". Note the especially EAST Asia. The Arab world is west Asia. Well anyway according to that strictly speakin the Arab world is part of the Orient but people usually mean far east when they say "Orient". Just so you know. Most people will instantly think of china etc. when you say "oriental". The stuff you refer to is "Arab world".

In fact, yes I can give you some oriental names as I know a lot of orientals. Some people I know are:

Xin Qiang Yang
EeLin Kuan

Typical surnames are Yang, Yuen, Chang, Wong etc.

The names you gave are all Arabic names.

[ 08-10-2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray