Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2001, 09:24 AM   #1
Absynthe

I missed the earlier thread, although I guess the general outline was something like "You don't KNOW who Weird Al is?????"
Even though I'm not a fan of novelty songs, I got interested in Weird Al after watching a short bio on him on VH1. Truly interesting and talented guy, and a surprisingly adept musician. He actually garners a surprising amount of respect, most significantly from the artists he lampoons. His band is really tight, too. As I recall, they've been togethar for nearly twenty years.
Kind of makes me wish he'd approach some "serious" work.

"It's not the fact that the bear dances that is so amazing, it's how well he dances."

Old 05-24-2001, 01:52 PM   #2
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

It's amazing how well he imitates so many different types of music. He can go from rap (eminem) to rock (great ac/dc Bon Scott rip off) to classic folk. Truly a talented musician.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
Old 05-24-2001, 02:21 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Absynthe, long time no read!!! How are you mate?

Yes he is indeed hilarious.

In the other thread Caleb and I had a light hearted disagreement as to how univerally his music had spread - or more to the issue, whether computer-owning, Baldurs Gate playing forum posters were "everyone" or not.

Wierd Al is a funny guy though, that was never in dispute.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 05-24-2001, 02:33 PM   #4
Absynthe

Aha, it's all so clear to me now.... I wonder if, given the multi-national, generation spanning nature of this forum, it may not be a pretty good microcosm for general polling of "everyone"? Of course, we do have to take into account that the posters here do seem to be of above-average intelligence and open-mindedness, so that would likely skew the results.
Been doing fine, no scratch that, been doing great actually. Enjoying unseasonably good weather up here which has kept me outside more often than not.Unfortunately, all that productivity has cut into my gaming and forum-lurking time! Not enough hours in the day... Oh hey, I just discovered an incredible artist by the name of Lucinda Williams, she's been about for a long while, you've probably heard of her, if you haven't, give her a listen.
Take care

Old 05-25-2001, 04:49 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Aha, it's all so clear to me now.... I wonder if, given the multi-national, generation spanning nature of this forum, it may not be a pretty good microcosm for general polling of "everyone"? Of course, we do have to take into account that the posters here do seem to be of above-average intelligence and open-mindedness, so that would likely skew the results.
Been doing fine, no scratch that, been doing great actually. Enjoying unseasonably good weather up here which has kept me outside more often than not.Unfortunately, all that productivity has cut into my gaming and forum-lurking time! Not enough hours in the day... Oh hey, I just discovered an incredible artist by the name of Lucinda Williams, she's been about for a long while, you've probably heard of her, if you haven't, give her a listen.
Take care

Yeah I think I have, the name rings a bell. I don't have the CD though.

I've been listening to Coldplay, U2's new one, Clannad and a trad Irish CD while in my car driving around some of the prettiest scenery I've seen.
The weather over here has been amazing. Suntan in Ireland! Hit the beach a few days during 22% days!

Glad you've been getting outside! Soak it up Absynthe.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 05-25-2001, 08:04 AM   #6
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I lived in Cleveland Ohio at the time Weeird Al released his first song which was a parody of Another One Bites the Dust. changed it to Another One Rides the Bus.... hilarious .... he was a dj for a station called G98 on sunday nights and had a very popular show. ive been a fan of his ever since.

------------------
IS THE PIZZA HERE YET????
WANNA PASS ME A BEER??? THANKS!!!!!!