Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2001, 12:18 AM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

(MINOR SPOILER WARNING)
I was at the final bit of Nalia's Stronghold Quest where I fought the Umber Hulks. I sent in Yoshimo (stealthy, of course) to attract them out of their room one by one. The irritating thing is that they cast a confusion spell and Yoshi would (sometimes) wander into the room where the rest of them were, with predictable results of course.

My question is how do you "unconfuse" a confused character? I tried the Priest spell charm person but it doesn't always work. I know Chaotic Commands work, but I didn't have the spell at that time.

Finally in frustration I tried a cheesy method of dealing with the monsters - I sent Nalia with a Wand of Cloudkill, stood a bit way back from the door, and let 'em have it.

BTW, I managed to down the %#^!%# Iron Golem (yes!!) - I summoned whatever cannon fodder I could, and had my Kensai and Minsc whack the Golem while its back was turned dealing with the summoned monsters. I had to be quick to pull them back when it cast its poison cloud, but it went down! My tanks were hurt bad, but it went down! Hooray!!

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 05-02-2001).]
Old 05-02-2001, 12:47 AM   #2
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

congrats on the kill
spoiler
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>>
you may already know this but instead of drawing them out. if you get the 4 pieces of dog meat and make dog stew. you can take a thief (hiding) and walk down the hall to the left of the umberhulk room. and put the stew on the pile of dog bones. then when all the umber hulks walk down there just close the door. then send somebody in with cloud kill if you really want them dead. as far as confusion goes i always just waited it out. *shrug* kind of ghetto i know but hey, its worked so far.

------------------

*Lord of the Screen Shot*
Get My IronWorks Winamp skin
Old 05-02-2001, 12:48 AM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Try Dispell Magic (level 3 mage spell) to remove the confusion on the player. To prevent it, use the talking sword Lilarcor or the spell like Chaotic Command. Chopping the confused character with the Holy Avenger will also work to dispell the confusion effects.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 05-02-2001, 02:08 AM   #4
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Yup, knew about the dog stew but I wanted to get full experience from the Hulks Besides, I couldn't get Yoshi to stay hidden. Hmm, perhaps I should have cast Sanctuary or Improved Invisibility??

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
Old 05-02-2001, 02:14 AM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

dispel doesn't work on confuse

potion of clarity is one way to provide protection
various items accord named can protect you as well
Old 05-02-2001, 03:43 AM   #6
Halbred
The Magister

You get exp from killing the dogs and making the stew, then by luring the umbers and then you can kill em so in essence you get more exp by doing the stew quest and then killing the hulks rather than just killing them....i think
i only played it through once and i still consider myself a newbie so this is all IMHO. =)
Old 05-02-2001, 08:05 AM   #7
Gd_00
Dungeon Master

i think Keldrons dispel removes confusion

If not , try remove magic
Old 05-02-2001, 08:36 AM   #8
Gray Mage
Banned User

You know what elase works on Umber Hulks, casting Chaotic commands. It turns them into sitting ducks. Cast it and go in and hack 'em up.

------------------

Feel My Power

Arcane Adept of the OHF, "So let it be written, So let it be done"
Old 05-02-2001, 08:53 AM   #9
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Gd_00:
i think Keldrons dispel removes confusion

If not , try remove magic
Dispel magic only works when the Confusion is of a magical nature. Umber Hulks confuse via some sort of gaze attack that they have, IIRC from AD&D years ago.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!