Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-03-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
Rathswid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I got the game over the Thanksgiving Holiday and I must say I'm very pleased. There are some issues but nothing major enough to turn me off.

I'm playing a party of 6 right now but I'm considerering playing solo. It seems that with the multi-class system that it would be very interesting. What are some recommendations?

[ 12-03-2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Rathswid ]
Rathswid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

Recommendations? The beauty of the game is that you can try everything out! Now I wouldn't start with a rogue in a solo game. Probably I'd start with a Whiskah fighter, if you prefer magic you can just as well start with a wizard though.

The solo games I have played were with:
- Pixie priest. You get healing as well as basic fighting skills. You can't carry anything though.
- Whiskah fighter. Turned into barbarian almost immediately to gain thieving skills. Fast and deadly.
- Ratling rogue. Now that one wasn't easy.

And them I've done some solo boogre games but AFAIK you can't start the game with a level 1 boogre.

Go with your heart's desire. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: For some excellent solo gaming hints and tips read through Radek's story. If you carefully read theough Bungleau's as well I bet you can find some tactical hints in there as well.

[ 12-03-2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
Radek
Red Dragon

Clouds of recommendations are all around! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Check the Best Tips thread. Some basic recommendations for a solo character:

1. Begin as a mage. It's the only way of getting the Stone Magic early. You will need all magic schools later. If you begin as something else then the Stone Magic is lost until you become a Zenmaster or a Valkyrie, that means, almost to the end of the game.

2. Have some mules in the inn. You will need them. The inventory of your solo character will not be enough for all items which you will want to keep.

3. Train, train, train. Your skills must be good. Do not miss any opportunity to train, that means, do not allow double level up. Return in the town after every level up ASAP. Join all guilds using the "guild hopping" trick.
Well, this means a lot of money. You'd better start your solo character experience with an unpatched game and use the "inn feature" for generating money.

4. Do not hesitate to click the Reset Adventures button it it suits your plans. An example: Gain all magic schools ASAP and become a Barbarian. Reset Adventures. Work your way to Ishad N'Ha as a pure barbarian - that's why we have reset adventures: we have got rid of our role history. Gain guild level 5 in the Warriors Guild and get the Stunning Blow trait. Gain enough high level in other guilds as well. Now, start changing roles and gaining level (about) 10 in every role. Your spellbook will be happy, as well as your skill list [img]smile.gif[/img] Plan changing roles so that you get your final role as the last one. Now, you can continue the game or reset adventures once more and enjoy the chosen role from scratch.

5. Do not miss any important trait. Most of the traits are available to anybody but some of them are available only to certain roles. Plan your role changes so that you become the needed role when the trait is available. Important role specific traits:
Stunning Blow - only Barbarian, guild level 5 Warrior Guild
Fletchery - only Ranger, Guild level 5 Warrior Guild
Crusade - only Paladin, Guild level 5, Temple
Iron Lung - only Bard and Barbarian, Guild level 5, Pawn Shop - (ab)use the "double quest reward for the Band of Boars" bug and gain the trait in Ishad N'Ha.
Trickery - only Bard, Guild level 4?, Pawn Shop. Don't fear the Music skill. It is at the end of the skill list so that it will not push any of your skills out of the skill window.
Another role specific traits are related to Zenmaster, so taht they aren't topical right now [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 02:14 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

A solo game is actually fairly easy (rogues included, although I haven't tried one... yet... [img]smile.gif[/img] ) because you get six times the experience.

For a real challenge, consider a group of six identical characters -- say, six rogues. Now *THAT* would be a pain... in fact, perhaps too much of a pain for a first-time player. No offense intended, but a solo rogue or warrior can involve a lot of the Gael Serran Survivor's Credo in the early part of the game -- RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After you've played through once, the constant running becomes less of an issue.

Others have played it difficultly as well -- not equipping anything, only equipping cursed items, and so on. It's amazing how masochistic some of us have become... eh, Willow?

Just remember the basic rule of W&W -- there's no wrong way to play. Now go out there and kill something [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:50 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Rathswid!!!

You've gotten some great suggestions already so I don't have anything to add. You can also do a search on solo and find additional suggestions. Just about anything is possible which is one of the great things about W&W!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:04 PM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I have many recommendations, but nothing new concerning your party.

My most important recommendation: Should any problem occur... Ask us. And keep us posted. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Once you have completed the game once... Let yourself spoil by the many hints scattered about on the board. They open whole new dimensions to the game in my opinion. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 05:40 PM   #7
Rathswid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks guys!

I think I'm just going to finish one time through with my full party and then try the solo route. I'm just about done with the Crypt now (Not sure how far that is) and my guys are around level 4 or so.

Great game. I love the narration throughout. It really adds to the enjoyment. One of my favorite apsects is the little character model that's displyed in the character screens that changes based on what armor your wearing or weapons your weilding. Small but makes a huge difference to me. I like seeing my characters change as I progress.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. I'm trying to avoid spoiler information but I had to read the walkthrough to figure out how to get the crystal in the crypt. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have the following:

Human Male Warrior (Plan on going Ninja?)
Dwarf Male Warrior (Plan on going Paladin?)
Whiskas Male Warrior (Plan on going Samurai?)
Gnome Male Rogue (Plan on going Ninja?)
Female Human Priest (Plan on going Monk?)
Female Elf Wizard (Plan on going Warlock?)

Any suggestions there? Eveyone is level 4 except the priest and wizard who are level 3 almost level 4. I was planning on taking them all to level 10 before changing roles.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #8
Rathswid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks guys!

I think I'm just going to finish one time through with my full party and then try the solo route. I'm just about done with the Crypt now (Not sure how far that is) and my guys are around level 4 or so.

Great game. I love the narration throughout. It really adds to the enjoyment. One of my favorite apsects is the little character model that's displyed in the character screens that changes based on what armor your wearing or weapons your weilding. Small but makes a huge difference to me. I like seeing my characters change as I progress.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. I'm trying to avoid spoiler information but I had to read the walkthrough to figure out how to get the crystal in the crypt. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have the following:

Human Male Warrior (Plan on going Ninja?)
Dwarf Male Warrior (Plan on going Paladin?)
Whiskas Male Warrior (Plan on going Samurai?)
Gnome Male Rogue (Plan on going Ninja?)
Female Human Priest (Plan on going Monk?)
Female Elf Wizard (Plan on going Warlock?)

Any suggestions there? Eveyone is level 4 except the priest and wizard who are level 3 almost level 4. I was planning on taking them all to level 10 before changing roles.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:02 PM   #9
Rathswid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry for the double post. Not sure how that happened.

Too much coffee and single clicks turn into double clicks I guess [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 10:53 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Check the Zenmaster thread for some suggestions on levelling up. Basically, keep spellcasters until you've got their level 7 spells, and move non-casters over as quickly as possible.

And have fun, too!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote