Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2002, 08:17 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I am getting sick and tired of W '98 "so and so has performed an illegal operation" along with Dos 16 Bit applications conflicting with Windows '98 32 Bit applications. So, how do you like XP and how is it for gaming? Is it stable? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:30 PM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Yes, it`s stable.
The only problem is it doesn`t support some games made for Win 98/NT/ME; The Sims is an example. Most such games have patches now to make them work with XP, but some (The Sims comes to mind again) don`t.
Also, it might not support some gaming hardware (such as joysticks or racing wheels), but most of the time it is hardware that isn`t actually needed to play the games, it just adds that little something to the experience [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2002, 12:18 AM   #3
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

If you do get Windows XP ensure that you get XP Pro, not XP home. Home is terrible, so restrictive, it thinks that every user is planning on sending e-mails from outlook and doing word processing.

My friend got XP Pro on his laptop, but the day after he did, his sister spilt hot chocolate on the keyboard...which of couse went right through the computer. It was coming out the speakers and the fan was spraying it everywhere! Not to mention there was a squishing sound when he tried to press the power button...

Apart from that bad karma, WinXP Pro is good. I haven`t really had much trouble with Win98SE myself, but I guess I am lucky [img]smile.gif[/img]
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 07-20-2002, 01:44 AM   #4
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well I am sick, SICK of 98 SE... it sucks...

mainly that this HD wasn't mine and it crashes with MSN Messenger and it always hangs or whatever... ME was much better... WAYS better
Old 07-20-2002, 07:58 AM   #5
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Well I am sick, SICK of 98 SE... it sucks...

mainly that this HD wasn't mine and it crashes with MSN Messenger and it always hangs or whatever... ME was much better... WAYS better
Ya got that right buddy. At least ME is compatible with all my games. XP wasnt. That and too many hardware conflicts caused me to put Windows ME back on my machine and I dont see myself ever going back to XP or 98SE. And the version I used was the XP Pro. I didnt like it. Too much trouble. It has some neat stuff and was really pleasant to look at but other than thatI thought it was crap.

Some people swear by it, Im not one of them.
Old 07-20-2002, 10:34 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
And don't forget the fact that the joysticks or controlpads you're using now won't be compatible with XP, that sucks the most !
Old 07-20-2002, 12:35 PM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

How about Sidewinder game pads johnny? They are Microsoft, and they would be well.. dumb if they forgot about that.
Old 07-20-2002, 06:23 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
If you do get Windows XP ensure that you get XP Pro, not XP home. Home is terrible, so restrictive, it thinks that every user is planning on sending e-mails from outlook and doing word processing.

I don't understand why everyone's so scathing of XP Home. We use Home and it's fine. What's so bad about it? [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2002, 06:30 PM   #9
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone's so scathing of XP Home. We use Home and it's fine. What's so bad about it?
NOTHING is bad about that one Aelia Jusa only that it dont have all those "fancy" things the Prefessionale have nothing worse than that and some security issues. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-20-2002, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-21-2002, 02:34 AM   #10
Orion

I don't understand why people are constantly trying to say that XP won't play all the games that you could on win98. There is a compatiblility tab under the properties setting of any EXE file in winXP you can set games so that they are played as if it were in Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, or Win 2000. It works perfectly still have a few dos games that I run every now and then with it. I'm not sure if this feature is in the Home edition though. As far as compatibility with hardware I haven't found a problem yet. Unless you have extremely old hardware or a voodoo video card this shouldn't be a problem. XP by they way is perfectly stable I've been running it since it came out and have yet to get the blue screen of death. Anyway definately go for it, it's worth it.