Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 07:26 AM   #21
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
So that is about 20 good chances at best. 10:29 once, and...

... about 1681171:1000000000 for six times. Or... about 0.15%... ...
I didn't quite understood your calculations, here.
How is 20 good choices out of 58 choices over all sums up to 0.15% ?

[ 11-23-2002, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: Alson ]
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 08:46 AM   #22
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
I didn't quite understood your calculations, here.
How is 20 good choices out of 58 choices over all sums up to 0.15% ?
Simple maths really. For all six spells to have a good outcome, you multiply the odds as follows,

10:29 * 10:29 * 10:29 * 10:29 * 10:29 * 10:29

As shown above. Not very good odds.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:14 AM   #23
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Simple maths really. For all six spells to have a good outcome, you multiply the odds as follows,

10:29 * 10:29 * 10:29 * 10:29 * 10:29 * 10:29

As shown above. Not very good odds.
Who said that all six spells would have a good outcome?
A 'Useless' outcome is still not a hurmful outcome.

All in all, the 'Bad' outcomes and the 'Good' outcomes usually offsets eachother - so with the help of the Chaos Shields, the Wild Mage is almost identical to a Mage - but with the added advantages of +1 spell per level, and of having one of the most powerful spells in the game - Nahal's Reckless Dweomer. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 09:33 AM   #24
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Who said that all six spells would have a good outcome?
A 'Useless' outcome is still not a hurmful outcome.

All in all, the 'Bad' outcomes and the 'Good' outcomes usually offsets eachother - so with the help of the Chaos Shields, the Wild Mage is almost identical to a Mage - but with the added advantages of +1 spell per level, and of having one of the most powerful spells in the game - Nahal's Reckless Dweomer. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Pretty stars!
Useless is useless. If the outcome does not harm the enemy, I see little point in trying to use such a spell. In addition, one good outcome does not negate one bad outcome. If the bad outcome means you turn into a squirrel... 5 good outcomes will mean little. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

NRD is potentially the most powerful spell in the game, but put into practice, it is not so practical as compared to other tactics in the early stages. The only way I can see it being useful is when you put 3 ICS in a Chain Contingency. Ah... then you are more or less guaranteed that you get an ADDITIONAL 6 level 9 spells. Fear the cheese then.

That will be when NRD shines, not at the low levels. To put it one way, you have a better chance of winning the lottery.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:48 AM   #25
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Pretty stars!
Useless is useless. If the outcome does not harm the enemy, I see little point in trying to use such a spell. In addition, one good outcome does not negate one bad outcome. If the bad outcome means you turn into a squirrel... 5 good outcomes will mean little. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Ohh... My bad, i should've told you this before...
Playing a Wild Mage is not for the faint hearted, Dundee...
Maybe you'll be better off staying behind your Sorcerer's linear playing style. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
NRD is potentially the most powerful spell in the game, but put into practice, it is not so practical as compared to other tactics in the early stages. The only way I can see it being useful is when you put 3 ICS in a Chain Contingency. Ah... then you are more or less guaranteed that you get an ADDITIONAL 6 level 9 spells. Fear the cheese then.
No doubt, Nahal's Reckless Dweomer gets stronger as the player climbs the levels.
But this is a good thing.
NRD is useful in the lower levels, powerful in the mid levels, and godly in higher levels. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 09:56 AM   #26
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Ohh... My bad, i should've told you this before...
Playing a Wild Mage is not for the faint hearted, Dundee...
Maybe you'll be better off staying behind your Sorcerer's linear playing style. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I have soloed a Wild Mage before. I have fond memories of MMM-spitting Spiders and dodging my own spells.
Quote:
No doubt, Nahal's Reckless Dweomer gets stronger as the player climbs the levels.
But this is a good thing.
NRD is useful in the lower levels, powerful in the mid levels, and godly in higher levels. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QB]
Consider the NRD to be a poetic metaphor of the Mage.

Sucks at first, "I can sling!"

Useful in the middle, "I can cast!"

Godly at the high-end, "You. Die."
Old 11-23-2002, 10:08 AM   #27
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
I have soloed a Wild Mage before. I have fond memories of MMM-spitting Spiders and dodging my own spells.
Soloed a Wild Mage?
I bow before you, Dundee Slaytern. [img]smile.gif[/img]
That must have been a fun game.

MMM-spitting Spiders?! BG2 can't get any better then this!

Quote:
Consider the NRD to be a poetic metaphor of the Mage.

Sucks at first, "I can sling!"

Useful in the middle, "I can cast!"

Godly at the high-end, "You. Die."
Have i mentioned how much i like your metaphors and analogics? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Although i still don't think it sucks at first.