Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2001, 03:54 PM   #1
Scott
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Did anyone else read what Jerry Falwell had to say about the terrorist bombings?
I quote

"God Almighty is lifting his protection from us. We have imagined ourselves invulnerable and have been consumed by the pursuit of ... health, wealth, material pleasures and sexuality...
All of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say, "You helped this happen" "

According to Falwell, God has stopped giving America his divine protection because he is angry at us. Specifically, "pagans, abortionists, feminists, homosexuals, the American Civil Liberities Union and the People for the American Way." He is blaming them for Tuesday's attacks.

I'm not going to turn this into some Christian bashing thread. I have a lot of Christian friends, and they are wonderful people. But when I read a story like this, I am glad I am not religious.
And can we all agree that Falwell is just freaking insane?

Old 09-15-2001, 03:58 PM   #2
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

yeah, im pretty sure that Falwell's insane. im a christian too, and i wouldnt even dream of saying anything like that! but if you ask me, all those famous revrends are a bit 'iffy'...

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Old 09-15-2001, 04:05 PM   #3
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Same sort of attitude as any religious fanatic anywhere. These are the sort of people that incite terrorism among the desperate poor in oppressed nations.

Happily, they have far less power in the West.

It is people like this that make me want to ban religion, despite knowing some pretty good and sincere believers (like Yorick, et al, on this forum).

And

WELCOME TO THE IRONWORKS, SCOTT!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-15-2001).]
Old 09-15-2001, 04:11 PM   #4
Istaron
Banned User

Ohhh, those people should be a shamed of them selves, causing this terrorist attack!...

Wadda moron he is, that Falwell.

And Scott, in such cases as this, I am glad, too, I am not religous.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 09-15-2001, 04:16 PM   #5
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I agree, that is an IDIOT of the first degree. Yep, there are times that I'm glad I'm not religious, too. And as Fljotsdale said,

WELCOME TO IW FORUMS!

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-15-2001, 04:18 PM   #6
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Just a note: to some, Christianity is not a religion, it is a way of life. Characters like Falwell give Christianity a bad name (just like 'Christians' who fight wrong with wrong by bombing abortion clinics). He's a fanatic all right, but not for God - he's a fanatic for himself. He made a valid point only in that this country HAS been overrun with immorality and greed lately. But I do not believe God would EVER punish the wicked by hurting the innocent. The Bible never showed him punishing a bunch of innocent people for the evil deeds of others. True, this fool has been saying America is a modern day Sodom and Gamorrah - well, some people here act that way, yes. But that has nothing to do with what happened at the WTC. He's a fool and only reinforced that sentiment in every TRUE Christian's eyes by saying that.
Old 09-15-2001, 04:27 PM   #7
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Just a note: to some, Christianity is not a religion, it is a way of life.
Ehh... isn't ALL relilgions/ideologies lifestyles? I kinda thought that was the meaning with religon, to have something to focus on.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 09-15-2001, 04:35 PM   #8
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
Ehh... isn't ALL relilgions/ideologies lifestyles? I kinda thought that was the meaning with religon, to have something to focus on.
Umm..Sorry for the confusion there. I wouldn't say what I believe qualifies strictly as a religion. To me, religion is something with strict rules: "you MUST go to church", "you must..this" "you must...that". All I do is try my best not to tread on anyone else and trust in God to handle all troubles. I can't really explain it, but, to me, there's a difference. If I can figure out how to word it, I'll post later, okay?

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair. {and occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy }*
Old 09-15-2001, 04:36 PM   #9
Moni

As much as people may not like to hear it, from a Christian point of view, it holds some bearing.
Yes, God loves us all, but even as much as our father loves us, he will allow us to be taught hard lessons.
Flame away for that if you want...I'm leaving the internet for a while so I won't be here to see it.

God Bless You All & Welcome to Ironworks Scott!
Thank you for lighting your candle.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-15-2001, 04:39 PM   #10
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Yeah, that guy sucks and he failed at life.

Welcome to the forum Scott! Hope to see lots more of you around.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB