Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

of the rate of encounters? Sheesh! I'm at normal level, and just finished the Catacombs. I swear that every time I turned a corner, something else came up behind me! While I was battling the Servant of the Tomb, no less than four parties of skeletons and rats came up on me!

Okay, so "running" is a better description of what I was doing than "battling". Still, there was a ton of combat in there... and a lot of XP and advancement points. Can't wait until I figure out what the best things to apply them on are. .. check my next post, since that feels like it should have a thread of its own.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
Too Darkpark
The Magister

yes, the encounters are frequent but it's not so bad if you're in a dungeon. it's not so bad because you can usually find a narrow hallway where you can stop and fight without being surrounded.
of course, once you're in the wilderness it's difficult to find an advantagous spot.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
Bob Billson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Have you tried lowering the encounters frequency to "less"? It's silly that you should have to do this, but I put it there and the balance seems much better.
Bob Billson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
WSBoaBoa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have set the spawn to low and even tried setting it to easy mode as well thinking it would lower the number of creatures spawning. It doesnt help much...

In a dungeon I could care less about it, but in the wild its just plain silly seeing 20+ of somthing come out of no where to swarm the lone hero. Just my opinion, unless you love click fests...
WSBoaBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
Paulinator
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yep, I never saw so many encounters before in an RPG game. But on a good note, at least your have virtually unlimited EXP that way. Thanks for the suggestion on lowering the encounters frequency WS. I acually just may do that.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
Too Darkpark
The Magister

i still don't think the outdoor encounter are THAT bad. sure you get swarmed but only by goblins, wolves, spiders, bats, and bees. they aren't that tough and you can soften them up plenty with a fireball or two.

in fact, when i see a mob coming i start running at first until they all get close together since they usually seem to come running from different directions. once they're kind of close, i send a fireball their way.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:39 AM   #7
Dajjer
The Magister

I got tired of the too frequent encounters and lowered the level to "less". And while there still seems to be more combat than usual, for me the game was far more manageable.
Dajjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Hm...yeah, i know what you mean, i just came out of the castle of Ulm, and the encounters inthere were almost as frequent as in Sacred LOL. If you know where you're going, i don't have a problem with it, after all, it's all XP, but if you're running around not knowing exactly where to go, it kinda sucks to fight the respawning critters at the same spot again, and again, and again, and again, and again.....etc...

Also, the lord of that castle wasn't much of an housekeep, i've run into bats (that also can fly under water !!! ), scorpions, and even hunting wolves !!! What kind of lord let filth like that run around in his stronghold ?