Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-28-2003, 04:54 PM   #1
Zerephel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, i desided to give rogues a chance and i made a human tiefling Rogue. With no other party members he is doing quit well. to my surprise he is owning most opponets, i'm trying to find a good bow and short sword, anyone know where i can find one early on in the game?
Old 01-28-2003, 05:20 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Not n topic, but in 3rd edition (and icewind dale II). YOu don't need to be invisible to backtab. You just need to attack your ennemy from the side or behind.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Not entirely correct, Luvian. While you can get a backstab solo with a hit from behind, you can only flank an enemy if someone else is meleeing with him. So a rogue alone can't do a flank (side) attack.

Unfortunately, it's been a long time now since I played the game, and locations of many Nice Items are a bit hazy in my mind. I will say, though, if you plan to use the bow a lot, take the rapid shot feat if you haven't already, since that gives you an extra attack per round.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 08:24 AM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

I also made a Tiefling Rouge... female (something so hot about Tiefbabes [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and when I was in Dragons Eye she ran out of bolts and backstabbed a Halfbreed Sorcerer with her fist... and scored 35 in damage... She was not invisible but came from the back
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:59 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I thought you can flank attack by hiding first and move slowly to the monsters?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:08 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

No, flanking has nothing to do with "slow movement". It's strictly having the opponent between two allies, one of whom is a rogue.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

from playing the game varioius times i know that if u play the same spot twice the weapon or reward might not b the same so it is hard to tell were you can get good stuff. but you can get the defender bow in targos which adds one to your armor class bt it is a long bow which doesnt matter because everything is under martial weapon: bow.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:32 AM   #8
banzai
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
I thought you can flank attack by hiding first and move slowly to the monsters?
These are two different things.

Flank attacks can be made by each and every character - the enemy just has to have a position between two of your characters. The character the enemy is not facing can make a flank attack then.

The other is the new variant of the good old backstabbing attack. The main difference to 2nd ed. backstabbing is the new method of calculating success and the damage bonus. Of course you have to have at least one level of rogue to be able to backstab.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:55 AM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

???

okay, I see an enemy, so I turn hide mode so he can't see me, I go to him and attack his side, isn't that flank attack? I've been doing that with my rogue.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:49 AM   #10
banzai
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
???

okay, I see an enemy, so I turn hide mode so he can't see me, I go to him and attack his side, isn't that flank attack? I've been doing that with my rogue.
Nope - that´s good old backstabbing.
You don´t have to do anything other to make a flank attack than to bring two of your characters in the appropriate positions mentioned above. The flank attack is then made automatically - I think your characters have already made flank attacks a lot of times.
Imagine a flank attack as fighting an enemy with two charaters - he´s not able to concentrate on both at the same time and so one gets an attack/damage bonus.

Hope that helps ...