Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

James Doohan, 'Star Trek's' Scotty, dead

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. (1330 GMT) at his Redmond, Washington, home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

"The producers asked me which one I preferred," Doohan recalled 30 years later. "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding. So I told them, 'If this character is going to be an engineer, you'd better make him a Scotsman.' "

The series, which starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as the enigmatic Mr. Spock, attracted an enthusiastic following of science fiction fans, especially among teenagers and children, but not enough ratings power. NBC canceled it after three seasons.

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."

"I took his advice," said Doohan, "and since then everything's been just lovely."

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I liked him as an actor and as "Scotty". Rest in Peace, Scotty!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Oh how sad. Well he lived a nice long life though and will always be remembered. May he rest in peace.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

James Doohan ventured to the final frontier. Rest in peace, Scotty.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...icle/6527.html

Quote:
We are extremely lucky to have this opportunity to celebrate the man who is Jimmy Doohan. What a survivor he is. He survived D-Day in World War II; he survived various travails in this personal life, and many ups and downs in his career including typecasting from Star Trek; he survived a heart attack in the 1980s and a severe bout with pneumonia just a few months ago. Recently it was widely reported that Doohan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, the same affliction that claimed the life of Ronald Reagan earlier this year. The Alzheimer's is only in its early stages, but he has also been suffering from Parkinson's disease, diabetes and lung fibrosis. He's a stubborn lad, though, and he'll be damned if he'll give in easily. When he heard the news reports about himself last month, he remarked to Wende, "If I had Alzheimer's, I think I'd remember." His health is increasingly fragile and he's not nearly as able to respond to people like he could not long ago, but he still adores his family, friends and fans as much as they adore him.
Lots of people assume Jimmy Doohan is Scottish, but he's only got a small amount of Scottish blood in him — he's actually more Irish. He was conceived in Ireland, but his parents decided to get out of Belfast because conditions for Catholics there were deteriorating. They picked Canada, landed in Halifax on New Year's Day in 1920, and took a train 5,400 miles to British Columbia. James was born March 3, 1920, in Vancouver. The family (Jimmy was the youngest of four) eventually relocated to Sarnia, Ontario, where Jimmy endured a difficult childhood with a father who failed to leave his drinking behind in the old country.

It was largely for that reason that Jimmy "escaped" from his life by signing up for the Royal Canadian Artillery, once the country joined the war effort in 1939. Posted in England, he served throughout the duration of the war, becoming an officer and rising through the ranks, but without seeing actual combat until June 6, 1944 — D-Day — where he led a regiment of 33 men onto Juno Beach at Normandy, France.

You may have never noticed, watching the Original Series and the movies, that Mr. Scott has a physical handicap — he's missing the middle finger of his right hand. That's because the actor kept it very well hidden. (Watch the shows again carefully — Scotty is almost always clenching his right hand, or hiding it behind a console — but if you know to look, the missing digit is occasionally apparent.) That injury occurred on D-Day. Lt. Doohan successfully led his Canadian troop onto the beach and pushed inland to establish the best possible gun position (along the way Doohan shot two German snipers, never knowing whether he killed them). A field was secured and command posts were established, but not all Germans between the beach and their position had been captured. That night about 11:30, Doohan and another officer were walking between command posts when machine gun fire broke out. Doohan was hit; he fell into a shell hole, looked at his hand and saw blood. Three bullets struck the one finger. Never losing consciousness, he actually walked to the regimental aid post, unaware he also took four bullets in the leg.

There was an eighth bullet, and it was nothing less than a miracle that he's still with us today. It hit his chest, four inches from his heart. But it ricocheted off the sterling silver cigarette case in his pocket, the one his brother had given him for being best man at his wedding. It's like a trite plot twist, he acknowledges — his brother saved his life from thousands of miles away. Jimmy pushed the dent out of the cigarette case and continued using it until he quit smoking years later. He stayed in the military, learned to fly and came to be known as the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Forces."
Though Doohan roundly criticized [Gene] Roddenberry for leaving the show [Star Trek] to implode in the third season, Jimmy and Gene became very close friends, trading war and aviation stories and sharing a number of sailing adventures. In 1970 Jimmy actually started dating Gene's secretary, Anita, and they got married. Gene was dating Majel Barrett at the time, and the two couples did almost everything together. Majel was at Jimmy and Anita's house when Gene called from Japan and asked her to come out there and marry him. But things started getting tough for Jimmy in those post-Star Trek years — he found himself typecast as "Scotty" and the jobs were not forthcoming, plus his marriage with Anita collapsed after a couple of years.

But then he started to realize that Star Trek could continue earning him a living. Because of his notoriety from that show, he began speaking engagements at colleges around the country ... and then there was the convention phenomenon. It started around 1972, when Star Trek really found its audience in syndication. Jimmy and his castmates were overwhelmed by the adulation and fascination being heaped upon them by crowds of thousands.

And then in 1974 he found his one true thing that made his personal life complete, finally. While doing a play in San Francisco, he was met by two young ladies who came backstage to get autographs. Julie brought Wende to the play as a gift, because Wende was a big fan of Scotty's. Jimmy couldn't keep his eyes off Wende. He invited her to come see the play again, and they went on a date. On their second date, he proposed. A few months later, she accepted. On October 12 of this year, Jimmy and Wende will celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary. (By the way, Jimmy's best man was William Campbell, known to fans as "Koloth" and "Trelane.")
Old 07-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

He was an american icon, he'll be missed..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Rest in peace, Scotty. You've given her all you've got, and she canna take nae more.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
Charlie
Lord Ao

Shame he couldn't klingon a bit longer. He was well liked.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:31 pm Post subject: James Doohan (Scotty) dies Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post

LOS ANGELES - James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. at his Redmond, Wash., home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

"The producers asked me which one I preferred," Doohan recalled 30 years later. "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding. So I told them, 'If this character is going to be an engineer, you'd better make him a Scotsman.'"

The series, which starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as the enigmatic Mr. Spock, attracted an enthusiastic following of science fiction fans, especially among teenagers and children, but not enough ratings power. NBC canceled it after three seasons.

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."

"I took his advice," said Doohan, "and since then everything's been just lovely."

"Star Trek" continued in syndicated TV both in the United States and abroad, and its following grew larger and more dedicated. In his later years, Doohan attended 40 "Trekkie" gatherings around the country and lectured at colleges.

The huge success of George Lucas's "Star Wars" in 1977 prompted Paramount Pictures, which had produced "Star Trek" for TV, to plan a movie based on the series. The studio brought back the TV cast and hired a topflight director, Robert Wise. "Star Trek — The Motion Picture" was successful enough to spawn five sequels.

The powerfully built Doohan, a veteran of D-Day in Normandy, spoke frankly in 1998 about his employer, Paramount, and his TV commander:

"I started out in the series at basic minimum_ plus 10 percent for my agent. That was added a little bit in the second year. When we finally got to our third year, Paramount told us we'd get second-year pay! That's how much they loved us."

He accused Shatner of hogging the camera, adding: "I like Captain Kirk, but I sure don't like Bill. He's so insecure that all he can think about is himself."

James Montgomery Doohan was born March 3, 1920, in Vancouver, B.C., youngest of four children of William Doohan, a pharmacist, veterinarian and dentist, and his wife Sarah. As he wrote in his autobiography, "Beam Me Up, Scotty," his father was a drunk who made life miserable for his wife and children.

At 19, James escaped the turmoil at home by joining the Canadian army, becoming a lieutenant in artillery. He was among the Canadian forces that landed on Juno Beach on D-Day. "The sea was rough," he recalled. "We were more afraid of drowning than the Germans."

The Canadians crossed a minefield laid for tanks; the soldiers weren't heavy enough to detonate the bombs. At 11:30 that night, he was machine-gunned, taking six hits: one that took off his middle right finger (he managed to hide the missing finger on the screen), four in his leg and one in the chest. Fortunately the chest bullet was stopped by his silver cigarette case.

After the war Doohan on a whim enrolled in a drama class in Toronto. He showed promise and won a two-year scholarship to New York's famed Neighborhood Playhouse, where fellow students included Leslie Nielsen, Tony Randall and Richard Boone.

His commanding presence and booming voice brought him work as a character actor in films and television, both in Canada and the U.S. Oddly, his only other TV series besides "Star Trek" was another space adventure, "Space Command," in 1953.

Doohan's first marriage to Judy Doohan produced four children. He had two children by his second marriage to Anita Yagel. Both marriages ended in divorce. In 1974 he married Wende Braunberger, and their children were Eric, Thomas and Sarah, who was born in 2000, when Doohan was 80.

In a 1998 interview, Doohan was asked if he ever got tired of hearing the line "Beam me up, Scotty."

"I'm not tired of it at all," he replied. "Good gracious, it's been said to me for just about 31 years. It's been said to me at 70 miles an hour across four lanes on the freeway. I hear it from just about everybody. It's been fun."

Funeral arrangements were incomplete.

RIP

Sad to hear this, but I do remember hearing that he was losing his marbles a while back. Good to hear that he's in a better place now. I'm a big Star Trek fan myself.

Today's trivia: Ya know, they never once said "Beam me up Scotty" on the Star Trek TV show? That saying actually came from the animated series.