Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 08:16 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hmmm, ok, it seems I have another problem...
I think I fixed the Video problem, as now I can actually see Fedora load, but before it finishes I get an error message.
The one thing I notice is that /etc does not exist, and the eroor basically says that /etc/something.something does not exist, and I remember Lennon telling me that it is the file allocation table....
I cant remember it of the top of my head, but I know that a "superblock" is corrupted, I was told this by Partition Magic.
The error message then says that I should try a e2fsck with a different superblock or something...
Then it says
Quote:
e2fsck -b 8193
On the nest line..
Can anyone help?
How do I un-corrupt it???
Partition Magic says
Quote:
Error #1201
Ext2 superblock contains illegal information
But I didnt put anything illegal in there [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Anyway, the description of the error says "Free blocks count wrong.....

Im running Fedora core 2 and have only had it for a day, and already I have had to upgrade the Kernal....
So this is not laying a good first impression...
HELP ME!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

That sounds a whole lot like the initial install not working correctly. If the file system is toast when you're getting started, it *WON'T* get better.

I'd be inclined to restart the process... wipe it completely (so you can get rid of the bad disk information and such) and start over, hopefully with the updated version of the OS.

I haven't read your other thread yet, so perhaps that might inspire to consider something else. Did you get Fedora directly from a download site, or was it a copy from someone else?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:15 PM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

First, you make sure your fedora is properly cleaned, blocked, and brushed, and then you ... oh, that's not what you are talking about, is it? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

lol Attalus.
Hmm, I bought the copy with a magazine, and had used it for about a day, I havnt changed any files (I dont think) But I have not much idea as to what im doing, but I had Lennon telling me most things and its all making sense.

The other problem is that yesterday, just after I bought the program, I installed it, then Lennon tried to install it on his laptop, the drive was making buzzing noises as it tried to read and then we got an error during install, Tempcap.something wouldnt install, then my firend luke (Azeral) copied all the CD's bar Disk 1, because it sat there at 98% for 2 hours, and when he tried installing with the original (Which has no damage from what I can see) he got the same error, although I havnt tried using the disks again yet, and my ASUS drive seems to be able to do anything but fly, so it might work, but I would like to avoid formatting if possible.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:33 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmmm.... smells like bad media. 'Cause the alternative (bad hard drive) is an even worse nightmare

See if you can find another copy, or download it off the net and burn it to a CD (or set of CDs).
-+-+-+
Old 11-08-2004, 01:38 AM   #6
Azeral
Manshoon

Hivetryant only has 56k so download is not really an option. Lennon the person destroyed his install cds is going to buy him a new copy.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:35 AM   #7
philip
Galvatron

It saying that you should do e2fsck -b 8193 is starting the file system check on an alternative superblock (8193). If you have to do it I'd rather try reinstalling cause e2fsck could just delete everything on the partition. BTW if you're going to reinstall I recommend you change your partition to a journaling filesystem like EXT3 or ReiserFS (is faster with a lot of small files.) You should have the choice while you install. EXT2 is pretty old.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

The problem is, i might not be able to re-install.
What does e2fsck -b 8193 mean? I typed it into a command line and I got a series of command to use like -p for automatic something...
Old 11-08-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Just jumped over to my RedHat box to check the man pages...

e2fsck is a file system check on an ext2 file system. Specifying -b 8193 tells it that instead of using its normal superblock, use a backup superblock used at location 8193. This is appropriate if you set up your filesystem with a 1k block size; if you set it up with 2 or 4, then you would use 16384 or 32768 respectively.

If you're getting an error message like that, you might not be typing it in properly. Remember that case matters in Unix... E2fsck is not the same as e2fsck. Spacing also matters; I'm not sure if a space is required after the -b or not. You might try it the other way (whatever that is).

But the fact that you're here indicates file system corruption. A reinstall (with reformat) is sounding better and better...
-+-+-+
Old 11-08-2004, 11:40 PM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Thanks Bungleau.
I'll try that and report back later.