Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2001, 04:29 PM   #1
Turin_Mormegil

--The following may and probably will contain spoilers--

MY last topic turned out wayyyyy more responses then I had hoped for so here I am to give my 2 cents on the overall best NPCs.

Many people voted for either Jaheira or Edwin. Jaheira cuz she is versetile. She can fight, heal and cast spells. And Edwin cuz he is a cool mage.

With bg2 being a roleplaying game as it is i try to stay in character and pick a party that is in keeping with my character. So for instance i did not pick up Edwin cuz he is evil. My character is Chaotic Good which to me means he always strives to do the right thing but doesnt take **** from anybody.Wwhen I look at an NPC I look for personality not just power. As I mentioned before my party consists of Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Yoshimo and Korgan. So why Korgan you ask...he is pure evil. I like him #1 cuz he has done me no wrong so far. He didnt attack me or loot my treasure on any quests. He hasent screwed my over in any way and so far he has done just as well as any of my Good party members. Also he is a phemomenal fighter and respects my decisions as a party leader...so far.

Anyway here are my votes for best npc...taking into account personality and overall power.

Minsc - One of THE best characters I have ever seen made. He is a Ranger with a giant minature space hamster called Boo. He also unleases with Butt-Kicking for Gooodnes!!.

Korgan - He is the best fighter in bg1 and bg2 IMO. Plus he doesnt bend to your will like our friend Edwin. He isnt a yes-man and will tell you if something pisses him.

Yoshimo - As I said he has the best power of any npc. His traps kill **** faster then you can say "A trap most deadly for the careless of foot". On the other hand his character isnt done too well. He is like vanilla icecream. Still a powerful dude

Viconia - She stays true to being a drow. Unlike many other characters ive seen she doesnt go along to get along. She thinks , talks annd looks like a drow which is cool in my book. Also fortunaltley she fights like a drow.

What no Jaheira or Edwin....I must be mad. Well firstly Jaheira is kinda too plain for my taste. She is like plain rice...no flavour. She isnt the best at anything and true neutrals kinda bug me. I keep her in my party firstly cuz she is an old friend and my character (Ged a Mage) wouldnt turn his back on an old friend and tell her she is no good cuz she cant fight. Secondly as mentioned before she is flexible. She fills in my gaps for both spelcasting and fighting. She is a good all-round character but not sensational. Also Edwin isnt in there cuz as I said before he is a toad and bends to the will of the most powerful one. Also Edwin is too specialized and most people need a good all-round spellcaster

And the weiner is..........Misnc (and Boo). They are both a great great character and powerful too. If i was basing purely on power ide pick Yoshimo and if i was basing purley on character ide pick Korgan. But Minsc is the overall wiener. Cast your votes now

Old 01-07-2001, 04:56 PM   #2
Kore'tha-Konkoror

Minsc is the best overall character in both personality and performance.

Sheer performance, Korgan the killing mah-cheen!

Sheer personality must go to Minsc again. No one can best him on this one!

Old 01-07-2001, 05:48 PM   #3
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

What about Jan?

He's just as versitile as Jahiera, brilliant at theiving, good as a support mage to edwin or nalia is allright with a crossbow and is the funniest NPC in the game! C'mon i was i tears with some of his witticisms! Waaaaaay funnier than minsc & boo!
Old 01-07-2001, 06:13 PM   #4
NytesHalo

Haha I'm going to throw in an NPC that I've never seen anyone consider to be one on this board but is as much an NPC as any IMHO. For personality I pick (drumroll) Lilarcor, the talking two handed sword! This thing has had me just rolling, and of course none other than Minsc weilds him.

Old 01-07-2001, 06:13 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Have to agree with Jerome here, some of the dialogue with Jan are absolute screamers. Like the one with him and Viconia...
Old 01-07-2001, 06:30 PM   #6
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Well i only had viconia and korgan together for a fwe days but... in this time they had some severous discussions that made me laugh so much !! Like when Viconia asked if Korgan took part in her homes destruction...way cool !! And agree with Jerome, Jan also has some really funny lines !!

> Off topic, Turin, where have you took your nick ?? I know Turin Turambar is from Lord of the Rings, and the Mormegil part does remind me of sometihng but i dont knkow what. By the way, if you have read the book id like to know what is the "nick" of Cirdan. THANX

Oh, and what means IMHO ??

Old 01-07-2001, 08:24 PM   #7
Ramon

IMHO translates to "in my humble opinion".

Old 01-08-2001, 01:40 AM   #8
G.W.

I would say Keldorn. When he joined the party, it was no longer a bunch of squabbling kids. There was finally someone who could walk ahead of the PC without being an embarassment. (Enough of Minsc's "butt kicking" joke). He is the only character who can lead the party full time. He has excellent resistances and can use one of the best swords. With the gauntlets of dexterity and girdle of ogre strength, he is extremely powerful. More powerful than any other NPC fighter class outfitted the same way.

Old 01-08-2001, 01:52 AM   #9
Archlich Azuth

Cenid, the guy casts druidic spells and when a fight is needed the becomes a werewolf or better yet a greater werewolf. A simple man that fits two important roles. plus the has some useful equiment.

Old 01-08-2001, 09:39 AM   #10
Turin_Mormegil

I must admit Jan Jansen is pretty damn funny but nothing and I mean nothing compares to Minsc (and Boo). Has anyone ever had Misnc and Aerie in the same party. After a while Misnc tells of his trail to enter manhood (forgot the name). Anyway he was suposed to be Dynheirs protector but he failed. Aerie agrees to be his witch and then they start havin some funny ass conversations. Try it and you wont regret it. Ahh and nothing compares to Evil Meet Sword, sword meet evil or I will inspire the group by charging blliiiiiiiiindly on. Whoever voice casted this character should get a raise. Dido for Irenicus

Ertai....Mormegil is the elvish nickname for Turin....it translates roughly into Darksword or Blacksword. And as far as I know there is no nickname for Cirdan...he is just plain Cirdan. I might be wrong though. Havent read silmarillion in a few years.