Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-24-2004, 12:44 AM   #31
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Xan the Enchanter:
Saying what has already been said:

Speaking as a woman (that's right. . .) I think. . .

Well. If she REALLY wants to, sure. . .But FIFA should not be held responsible for any injuries she may have.

I think that as a philosophy women should be able to do anything men do. But realistically?. . .Come on. Football has alot to do with strength in the upper body. That is just not our thing. We are more leg people, ya know?
Funny enough I'm a leg person myself [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

It seems to me that this decision is opening up a whole can of worms legally, and taking women’s rights back to pre 1970's. Wether woman are 'able' to compete equally is open to discussion but to actively BAN women !!!

ANd btw Welcome to Ironworks Xan the Enchanter [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 12-24-2004, 02:08 AM   #32
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I agree Wellard, it is not right to ban women from sports, but also, is it right to allow a woman to play knowing what the outcome will be? yes, I am a woman and all, but could not see myself playing any kind of football, be it American or others. I played it with my brohters growing up, and ended up with so many broken bones and black eyes that my parents made me quit playing.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:26 AM   #33
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
I agree Wellard, it is not right to ban women from sports, but also, is it right to allow a woman to play knowing what the outcome will be? yes, I am a woman and all, but could not see myself playing any kind of football, be it American or others. I played it with my brohters growing up, and ended up with so many broken bones and black eyes that my parents made me quit playing.
Regardless of the outcome if you want to play, you need to except the outcome. You can't have your cake and eat it too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2004, 02:54 AM   #34
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
Regardless of the outcome if you want to play, you need to except the outcome. You can't have your cake and eat it too. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]true, but knowing that men would not play fair with a woman (either to rough or to easy on them) I think that this would cause to many conflicts. for that reason alone I think women should not play in the same league as men.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:43 AM   #35
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Ahh..women in men's sport. How interesting. You know this reminds me while I was still schooling at secondary school. The school gathered a team of girls footballer ( for the coming girls football tournament ) and have a little match against us boys. Guess what? 3 minutes into the game the score is already 4 - 0 ( boys are leading of course ). Not long after that the girls start to shout foul because of unwanted hands start to fly in all direction. At one time the girl's team goalkeeper cried because my friend blast the ball right at her. Wanna know what's the final result is? there was none! the goalkeeper was so afraid of returning to her post ( after finish crying ) that the match has to be abandoned! heh! imagine that.

So you see, I strongly against women to play in a men's sport. Especially in football.
That's a good point about your friends' reaction, Kakero. As others have pointed out, men's football can get very rough. If a woman wants to play on a men's team, then she should ask herself if she TRULY wants to get the SAME treatment as all the other men - including the Vinnie Jones diving headbutt (whatever that is).

I know in the American version of football, it would simply be impossible for a woman to compete because there is SO MUCH hitting and tackling. The few females that HAVE managed to get on a football team in high school invariably made the team as the field goal kicker. That's about the ONLY position where the other team isn't allowed to crush the player.

This isn't a slam against women in any way. It's just an acknowledgement of the fact that there IS an inherent difference in physical size and strength between men and women and that will always be the case (with a few rare exceptions of course).

From what I've seen on TV of soccer (football to the rest of the world), it does look a bit "safer" than the American sport of football - so perhaps a woman could compete on the men's level a bit easier. But listening to the descriptions of the action from all the other fans of the sport here, it sounds like she would still stand a good chance of getting pounded on a regular basis.

Most experiments of women "crossing over" into men's domains has not worked. The female golfer (that I believe wellard mentioned earlier) managed to get permission to compete in a men's tournament, and was eliminated early in the second round. A few years ago, a female went to the Supreme Court here in America demanding the right to attend a previously all-male military academy. The Supreme Court said the school MUST change their enrollment policy to allow the female cadet. There was a big brouha about it in the media for most of the summer. However, the media did NOT make much of a story when the female DROPPED OUT of the Academy about halfway through her 1st semester. Yeah, I'm sure she got a LOT of razzing from some of the other students, but I'm also sure there were some that "took up" for her. The bottom line was that she couldn't cut it.

Personally, it makes me angry when women cry "discrimination" if they aren't allowed to participate in an all-male venue - but it's perfectly alright for them to keep all-female venues in similar areas. I wonder what the Supreme Court would say if a male student sued to be allowed to attend an all-girl college?

But as for men "crossing over" to the female teams in sports - it ain't gonna happen. Seriously, what man wants to admit that he can't play with the guys so he has to go the GIRL'S team in order to compete? Again, no slam against women at all, just stating a fact. Any "crossing over" in sports will definitely be a ONE WAY street.

[ 12-24-2004, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Cerek ]
Old 12-24-2004, 09:58 AM   #36
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
From Cerek

From what I've seen on TV of soccer (football to the rest of the world), it does look a bit "safer" than the American sport of football - so perhaps a woman could compete on the men's level a bit easier.
Then obviously you've never seen a match between two South American teams, or southern European. Most footballplayers can make it look like nothing really happened, even the camera misses a lot of foul actions, but put an Argentinian team in the field against a side from Uruguay, and you're set for a bloodbath, broken legs, bloody faces, dislocated shoulders, the complete package.

People who think that football isn't such a hard sport don't know a big deal about it and have obviously never played it themselves, otherwise they wouldn't make such comments. I've played football for 12 years and i've seen it all. I managed to stay clear from severe injuries, but some of my teammates were not so lucky. I'll never forget the sound of a breaking leg when two players collide into eachother.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:08 AM   #37
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I agree with Johny, soccer can be a pretty brutal sport, but in comparison with US football, with it's snapped necks and a HUGE number of spinal injuries (in relation to other sports), might seem tame.

In any case, I think that while it's up the deciding body to decide, I believe that men and women's leagues should remain completely seperate, if only for the mental side of the game. Also, has anyone noticed NOBODY arguing for a male/female mixed boxing league or combat sports? It's because they don't want a 200 pound man basically beating the living snot of a woman. There are biological differences people, it's black and white.

[ 12-24-2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]
Old 12-24-2004, 10:22 AM   #38
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
I agree with Johny, soccer can be a pretty brutal sport, but in comparison with US football, with it's snapped necks and a HUGE number of spinal injuries (in relation to other sports), might seem tame.

In any case, I think that while it's up the deciding body to decide, I believe that men and women's leagues should remain completely seperate, if only for the mental side of the game. Also, has anyone noticed NOBODY arguing for a male/female mixed boxing league or combat sports? It's because they don't want a 200 pound man basically beating the living snot of a woman. There are biological differences people, it's black and white.
Now that is something i'm not so sure about. Put a male of the same weight in a ring with Lucia Rijker, to name one, and he'll have one hell of a time to stay on his feet. I've seen some damn good female fighters on TV and on some events i visited, and you don't want to get fresh with any of em.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #39
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

No offense was meant, Johnny. That's why I made sure to say that it appeared safer compared to the American sport. Then again, your version of football doesn't include any pads.

Soccer/football is slowly gaining popularity here in America, but it still doesn't get much coverage on national TV - so you're right - I haven't actually seen much soccer/football...especially some of the more brutal match-ups you mentioned.

I would think the closest American comparison would be basketball rather than football. Both teams run up and down the court with no pads and LOTS of physical contact (especially near the goal/basket). I don't think there is ANY way a woman could play on the same court as a pro-men's team.

Like you said, it can get very brutal at times.

I know soccer/football is very physical - we just don't see much of that aspect of the game on TV coverage here.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #40
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Mike Tyson (Or hell, Marciano) versus Vonda Ward would likely end up with Ward having serious injury. If there is a strength difference in soccer (where the point of the game is not to inflict injury) that can be dangerous, imagine what the difference would be like in boxing (where the whole point is to injure the other guy)