Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Jnes & nestopia emulators

I have both of these and want to play FF1 again. I can't get my Wingman Rumblepad to work with either of them.

Does anyone know how to get it working, or maybe have a link I can go to?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: Jnes & nestopia emulators

JoyToKey converts joystick input into keyboard and mouse input. It should let you control pretty much any application with pretty much anything that has enough buttons.

The download link is at the bottom of the page.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I finally got the nestopia figured out today, I'll try the other thing too though, thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Trogdor
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant

Seeing as we are talking about Nintendo, here is the official Nintendo statement:
Link
Quote:
Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to obtain and play a Nintendo ROM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope your not playing ROMS's

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Out of curiosity, ever since that original thread I've been wondering, what DOES constitute a legal backup/secondary copy?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Jnes & nestopia emulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Out of curiosity, ever since that original thread I've been wondering, what DOES constitute a legal backup/secondary copy?
Only the roms you have backed up yourself from your originals. The excuse people use about downloaded roms being legal for the first 24 hours is just that, an excuse. It's not actually legal. Even if you own a game it's illegal to download it's rom.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

In otherwords the people who MADE the Rom's assuming they did so with their own original copies of the games are the only ones really authorized to possess them.

Meaning to have some of your own that you can possess legally you need to have the hardware and software to create such a copy. Which you would not be permitted to redistribute under copyright laws as the Rom sites in existence do.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I called the RCMP on this issue a few years back. I noticed so many people at worked passing downloaded and copied DVD movies around at work, I wanted to do the right thing.

They told me there wasn't anything they could/would do and that the laws in Canada are much more relaxed on this issue than other Countries.

If I play these games on the core system I still have Nintendo makes no money. If I play the same games on my PC, Nintendo makes no money; well maybe from advertising on the net..
Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
They told me there wasn't anything they could/would do and that the laws in Canada are much more relaxed on this issue than other Countries.
There should be something they could do. Under the Berne Convention, which Canada has (according to Wikipedia) signed, cinematographic works are copyrighted for at least 50 years after first showing.

At least in Finland, ROMs are not legal at all. I can make a copy out of anything except a computer program for personal use, and share it with my family if I want to. I think NES games qualify as computer programs for purposes of copyright.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Jnes & nestopia emulators

But the thing is, Canada has different laws regarding this.

Now this is only second hand info as I never researched into this myself, but from what I heard yes a product is copyrighted, but apparently the way it work is we have the right to make copies, but the government collect a tax out of blank storage products like cds and give some to the multimedia companies. Apparently that decision had been made back when we used tape and recorded radio, and the companies are not so happy about it now that we have dvds with gigs of space, and even don't actually have to use anything can just store it on hard drive.

I don't know if it's actually true or not, that sounds strange, but that's what I heard multiple times. All I know is it's legal to download but not to upload.

Edit: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood. You would have gotten your friends and colleagues sent to prison for a corporation?