Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-25-2001, 06:42 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I know I had a post like this, but this one is a little different. How do you feel about shadowkeeping NPCs to change their class. For instance change Aerie to a straight mage or Valgar to a swashbuckler or something similiar. I dont feel the game gives you any really good theives. What go you think about doing this?

------------------
"They come in the dark. Always in the dark..."
Old 10-25-2001, 07:12 PM   #2
Jolly Pirate
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It's your game. Go for it.

Old 10-25-2001, 07:17 PM   #3
Jolly Pirate
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For a more in depth response, I have no problem with that sort of thing at all. It doesn't mean you have to make them more powerful to give yourself an advantage, you can settle for making them just different for flavor.
Old 10-25-2001, 07:30 PM   #4
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

i was thinking about making minc a monk, and i made anomen a paladin, aerie a mage, and valygar a swashbuckler. i like diversity im sick playing as characters with the same old abilities

------------------
Old 10-25-2001, 07:41 PM   #5
Lothar

Sounds cool!! I may have to do that.

Lance

Old 10-25-2001, 07:43 PM   #6
Jolly Pirate
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
i was thinking about making minc a monk, and i made anomen a paladin, aerie a mage, and valygar a swashbuckler. i like diversity im sick playing as characters with the same old abilities

Diversity is nice, even if it is just changing the NPC's pics or avatars.
Old 10-25-2001, 07:46 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

diversity is more than nice, it is essential for enjoyment. changing NPCs into total slaughter machine would be wrong, but changing them into just differnt classes, or even inventing new ones is a good way to prolong the life of the game.

im sure StarVid will disagree with me.

minsc a monk? bit out of character?

Old 10-25-2001, 08:18 PM   #8
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

as far as changing character pics. Ive changed pretty much all of them. Aerie and jaheria are really sexy now, and all the guys in my group look pretty hardcore, as well. Shadow keeper is great for that.

------------------
Old 10-26-2001, 03:27 AM   #9
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

i do this practically every time i play the game. besides a few dialogs that are tied to their classes, i see the NPC's as just personalities and their class or even race is just a matter of need. it lets me see how a kit plays rather than having to make my pc one. it also lets me have whatever kind of party i want without resorting to the no-dialog/no-romance option of multiplayer.

my current party:
me, elf F/Th
keldorn, dwarf F/C
jaheira, 1/2 elf inquisitor
heirdalis, tiefling bounty-hunter
imoen, elf M/Th

next go around ill make edwin a githyanki wild mage and aerie a vampire monk .
Old 10-26-2001, 05:31 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
I know I had a post like this, but this one is a little different. How do you feel about shadowkeeping NPCs to change their class. For instance change Aerie to a straight mage or Valgar to a swashbuckler or something similiar. I dont feel the game gives you any really good theives. What go you think about doing this?

You need to be a bit careful in doing this. Changing an NPC's class will only change the description of their class in their Records view (and may give certain bonuses associated with that class, like THACO, etc). It does NOT give them the special abilities of that class. If you wanted to change Keldorn to a Wizard Slayer, for example, you would need to add the Level Drain immunity that Wizard Slayers have manually using Shadowkeeper as changing Keldorn's class will not automatically give you this. Just keep that in mind.

------------------